Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sjp1966
    • By sjp1966 13th Mar 18, 7:36 PM
    • 76Posts
    • 12Thanks
    sjp1966
    Homeswapping
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:36 PM
    Homeswapping 13th Mar 18 at 7:36 PM
    Not sure if this is allowed on this forum but couldnt find anywhere else to put it. Me an my missus are basically on a homeswap site, all I know is that if i swap with someone that they should have an assured or secure tenancy like we do so that we keep the same tenancy type.

Is there anything that I need to be aware of that could turn sour (potentially) If i dont check beforehand?

Thanks

S
Page 1
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    • 17,395 Posts
    • 15,759 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    Is this a local authority swap?

You can't just swap privately rented property.
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 13th Mar 18, 7:48 PM
    • 4,199 Posts
    • 5,695 Thanks
    kinger101
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:48 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:48 PM
    You need to look for houses with pampas grass outside.
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 13th Mar 18, 7:51 PM
    • 3,004 Posts
    • 1,877 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:51 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:51 PM
    Presumably you are a council or HA tenant.

You have to follow the rules about the size of place you can swap with as in the number of bedrooms. When I did it we were allowed one extra bedroom but I don't know if it has changed.

Also be aware that you won't get repairs done to the place before you move in, you take it as is, except they will check gas and electricity and correct anything necessary there. Then the other danger is that either of you can pull out at any time. We kept phoning each other and checking that we were still going through with it.
    • sjp1966
    • By sjp1966 13th Mar 18, 8:32 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    sjp1966
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:32 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:32 PM
    Its not privately rented, we are allowed to homeswap, I am trying to find out the pitfalls.
    • sjp1966
    • By sjp1966 13th Mar 18, 8:34 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    sjp1966
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:34 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:34 PM
    Presumably you are a council or HA tenant.

You have to follow the rules about the size of place you can swap with as in the number of bedrooms. When I did it we were allowed one extra bedroom but I don't know if it has changed.

Also be aware that you won't get repairs done to the place before you move in, you take it as is, except they will check gas and electricity and correct anything necessary there. Then the other danger is that either of you can pull out at any time. We kept phoning each other and checking that we were still going through with it.
    Originally posted by t0rt0ise
    Yeah we are HA and possibly swapping with a council tenant. hen you say wont get repairs done? surely if you move in and something needs doing they will repair it as they would if you were already an tenant?
    • kay0601
    • By kay0601 14th Mar 18, 5:30 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    kay0601
    • 14th Mar 18, 5:30 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 5:30 AM
    You basically sign something saying you accept the house in its current condition. So if there's a hole in the wall or they've installed something like a new bathroom and then work needs done further down the line (whether an emergency or not) you'll be liable for the costs.
    • Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 14th Mar 18, 7:02 AM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 4,600 Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:02 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:02 AM
    The biggest pitfall of a mutual exchange is a) the unrealistic wants (I have a one bed 12th floor flat and NEED a three bed house with garden overlooking the sea) and b) the timewasters. So many timewasters. One woman arranged for view my home three times and never showed up. She never responds to messages either.

Also, you are taking a huge risk in terms of neighbours and area. Everyone wants to move for a reason and generally those reasons are anti social behaviour and neighbour issues.

Fortunately, I work for an LA so I can always check with the ASB team to see if there are any issues.
    • jAXOMSHALOM
    • By jAXOMSHALOM 14th Mar 18, 7:17 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jAXOMSHALOM
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:17 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 7:17 AM
    You will get normal repairs done with a mutual exhange.

However, when you initially accept the property, you accept the condition the house is in. For example, the kitchen is shoddy and you cannot ask for a new one (we once did a mutual exhange for a house with no kitchen when we swapped and had to suck it up), so we fitted a basic kitchen ourselves.

Unfortunately you may also take on the other person's tenancy, so if you are an assured tenant, you will have to surrender that if the person you are exhanging with has a fixed term.
    Lots of homework to do and questions to ask.

Well out of HA tenancies now, when I look back I realise how lucky we were...
    Last edited by jAXOMSHALOM; 14-03-2018 at 7:19 AM. Reason: additing stuff
    • welshbookworm
    • By welshbookworm 14th Mar 18, 7:35 AM
    • 2,481 Posts
    • 6,482 Thanks
    welshbookworm
    Tried this many years ago. I was mucked about alot by people who wanted to exchange and dropped out at the last minute. Also check that the HA/ council allows you to, we were about to accept one property but the council did not allow children under 12 in flats!
    But lots of people are successful, so very good luck.
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
    • sjp1966
    • By sjp1966 14th Mar 18, 8:20 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    sjp1966
    The biggest pitfall of a mutual exchange is a) the unrealistic wants (I have a one bed 12th floor flat and NEED a three bed house with garden overlooking the sea) and b) the timewasters. So many timewasters. One woman arranged for view my home three times and never showed up. She never responds to messages either.

Also, you are taking a huge risk in terms of neighbours and area. Everyone wants to move for a reason and generally those reasons are anti social behaviour and neighbour issues.

Fortunately, I work for an LA so I can always check with the ASB team to see if there are any issues.
    Originally posted by Lioness Twinkletoes
    How can I check for bad neighbours and ASB, can I call the local council and/or police to find out.
    • sjp1966
    • By sjp1966 14th Mar 18, 8:21 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    sjp1966
    You will get normal repairs done with a mutual exhange.

However, when you initially accept the property, you accept the condition the house is in. For example, the kitchen is shoddy and you cannot ask for a new one (we once did a mutual exhange for a house with no kitchen when we swapped and had to suck it up), so we fitted a basic kitchen ourselves.

Unfortunately you may also take on the other person's tenancy, so if you are an assured tenant, you will have to surrender that if the person you are exhanging with has a fixed term.
    Lots of homework to do and questions to ask.

Well out of HA tenancies now, when I look back I realise how lucky we were...
    Originally posted by jAXOMSHALOM
    The tenancy is the one thing I am aware of, so we are looking for assured/secure tenancies as that is what we have.
    • Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 14th Mar 18, 6:14 PM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 4,600 Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes
    How can I check for bad neighbours and ASB, can I call the local council and/or police to find out.
    Originally posted by sjp1966
    You can call. They might not tell you due to data protection though. Best thing to do is visit the place - a lot. I went at all different times of the day (and night). I went at midnight and again at 6am. After schools kick out. Every day of the week especially the weekends. Didn't go in the house, but checked out the local area; listening for ASB, loud parties etc.

Also, the state of a road can tell you a lot. Is it clean? Is there fly tipping or graffiti? Are the fences in good condition? What do the fronts of the houses look like?Are they well maintained? Is there litter in the street? Cars in pieces? You could even speak to local shop owners. All this info builds a picture.
    • sjp1966
    • By sjp1966 14th Mar 18, 6:19 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    sjp1966
    You can call. They might not tell you due to data protection though. Best thing to do is visit the place - a lot. I went at all different times of the day (and night). I went at midnight and again at 6am. After schools kick out. Every day of the week especially the weekends. Didn't go in the house, but checked out the local area; listening for ASB, loud parties etc.

Also, the state of a road can tell you a lot. Is it clean? Is there fly tipping or graffiti? Are the fences in good condition? What do the fronts of the houses look like?Are they well maintained? Is there litter in the street? Cars in pieces? You could even speak to local shop owners. All this info builds a picture.
    Originally posted by Lioness Twinkletoes
    Cool, thanks for the tips
    • diggingdude
    • By diggingdude 14th Mar 18, 8:52 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    diggingdude
    watched a tv documentary about this a few years ago. Think people had to pay for an electrical safety check or something before they could swap their own house. Think it was the BBC Swap my Council house show, it can be seen on youtube but i don't want to watch it again to check sorry
    House Deposit - Target 20000 April 2019
    Current Savings - 10225 13121.22
    • Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 15th Mar 18, 8:45 AM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 4,600 Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes
    watched a tv documentary about this a few years ago. Think people had to pay for an electrical safety check or something before they could swap their own house. Think it was the BBC Swap my Council house show, it can be seen on youtube but i don't want to watch it again to check sorry
    Originally posted by diggingdude
    No the gas and elec checks are free. The HA/Council carry them out. They also do an inspection of each home intending to swap. They can demand the current tenant put right any damage or improvements, for example, the person I swapped with had removed the kitchen door and frame. They had to reinstate it before the HA would allow the swap to take place.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,990Posts Today

6,015Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin