PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Homeswapping

Options
Not sure if this is allowed on this forum but couldnt find anywhere else to put it. Me an my missus are basically on a homeswap site, all I know is that if i swap with someone that they should have an assured or secure tenancy like we do so that we keep the same tenancy type.

Is there anything that I need to be aware of that could turn sour (potentially) If i dont check beforehand?

Thanks

S

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is this a local authority swap?

You can't just swap privately rented property.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,282 Forumite
    Options
    You need to look for houses with pampas grass outside.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    Options
    Presumably you are a council or HA tenant.

You have to follow the rules about the size of place you can swap with as in the number of bedrooms. When I did it we were allowed one extra bedroom but I don't know if it has changed.

Also be aware that you won't get repairs done to the place before you move in, you take it as is, except they will check gas and electricity and correct anything necessary there. Then the other danger is that either of you can pull out at any time. We kept phoning each other and checking that we were still going through with it.
  • sjp1966
    sjp1966 Posts: 83 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its not privately rented, we are allowed to homeswap, I am trying to find out the pitfalls.
  • sjp1966
    Options
    t0rt0ise wrote: »
    Presumably you are a council or HA tenant.

You have to follow the rules about the size of place you can swap with as in the number of bedrooms. When I did it we were allowed one extra bedroom but I don't know if it has changed.

Also be aware that you won't get repairs done to the place before you move in, you take it as is, except they will check gas and electricity and correct anything necessary there. Then the other danger is that either of you can pull out at any time. We kept phoning each other and checking that we were still going through with it.

Yeah we are HA and possibly swapping with a council tenant. hen you say wont get repairs done? surely if you move in and something needs doing they will repair it as they would if you were already an tenant?
  • kay0601
    kay0601 Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    You basically sign something saying you accept the house in its current condition. So if there's a hole in the wall or they've installed something like a new bathroom and then work needs done further down the line (whether an emergency or not) you'll be liable for the costs.
  • Lioness_Twinkletoes
    Options
    The biggest pitfall of a mutual exchange is a) the unrealistic wants (I have a one bed 12th floor flat and NEED a three bed house with garden overlooking the sea) and b) the timewasters. So many timewasters. One woman arranged for view my home three times and never showed up. She never responds to messages either.

Also, you are taking a huge risk in terms of neighbours and area. Everyone wants to move for a reason and generally those reasons are anti social behaviour and neighbour issues.

Fortunately, I work for an LA so I can always check with the ASB team to see if there are any issues.
  • jAXOMSHALOM
    jAXOMSHALOM Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 14 March 2018 at 8:19AM
    Options
    You will get normal repairs done with a mutual exhange.

However, when you initially accept the property, you accept the condition the house is in. For example, the kitchen is shoddy and you cannot ask for a new one (we once did a mutual exhange for a house with no kitchen when we swapped and had to suck it up), so we fitted a basic kitchen ourselves.

Unfortunately you may also take on the other person's tenancy, so if you are an assured tenant, you will have to surrender that if the person you are exhanging with has a fixed term.
    Lots of homework to do and questions to ask.

Well out of HA tenancies now, when I look back I realise how lucky we were...
  • welshbookworm
    welshbookworm Posts: 2,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tried this many years ago. I was mucked about alot by people who wanted to exchange and dropped out at the last minute. Also check that the HA/ council allows you to, we were about to accept one property but the council did not allow children under 12 in flats!
    But lots of people are successful, so very good luck.
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
  • sjp1966
    Options
    The biggest pitfall of a mutual exchange is a) the unrealistic wants (I have a one bed 12th floor flat and NEED a three bed house with garden overlooking the sea) and b) the timewasters. So many timewasters. One woman arranged for view my home three times and never showed up. She never responds to messages either.

Also, you are taking a huge risk in terms of neighbours and area. Everyone wants to move for a reason and generally those reasons are anti social behaviour and neighbour issues.

Fortunately, I work for an LA so I can always check with the ASB team to see if there are any issues.

How can I check for bad neighbours and ASB, can I call the local council and/or police to find out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure