Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Palk
    • By Palk 13th Mar 18, 3:47 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Palk
    Incident in the car park
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:47 PM
    Incident in the car park 13th Mar 18 at 3:47 PM
    Hi all,

last week as I was leaving a car park I reversed slightly as I didn't have a good visibility out of the junction and when I turned the corner someone started shouting at me and told me I had hit his car. I panicked at the moment (not a good thing I know) but had been a stressful day. I went down my car and I examined the other car, I didn't feel like I hit a car when I reversed, but the other man showed me a dent of around 2 inches and told me he just fixed that piece the week before. Then he told me we didn't need to tell the insurance as that would cost less than the excess and told me he would call after getting a quote.

As I said I panicked at the minute and when I arrived home and I was calmer I examined my car with my brother-in-law and we didn't see any damage on my car. The dent he showed me was quite a good size so I feel weird my car didn't even have a scratch, as I said before I didn't feel anything. Almost one week later he calls me, I told him that my mechanic told me that a dent that size shouldn't cost more than £120-150 and when he heard that, he started getting defensive, telling me nobody would touch his car for that little money. I told him that I examined my car and I didn't find any damage, and he started saying that is not possible as he took "such a bump". He said he will give me a quote before Friday, he said he cannot get one before that as they won't give him before, I don't know why is taking so long. I told him that maybe I will prefer to go through the insurance although I cannot admit I hit his car as it seems his word against mine, he then said that he will call me again before Friday.

Does this sound like a scam? Shall I just tell him to speak to his insurance and refuse to deal with him?
Page 1
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 13th Mar 18, 3:52 PM
    • 36,002 Posts
    • 46,358 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:52 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:52 PM
    Tell him to speak to his insrance company and give him tour insurance details. Ring your insurance without delayand explain the situation.
    Deny everything. It sounds like a scam
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 13th Mar 18, 4:02 PM
    • 1,354 Posts
    • 926 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 13th Mar 18, 4:02 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 4:02 PM
    Tell him to speak to his insrance company and give him tour insurance details. Ring your insurance without delayand explain the situation.
    Originally posted by McKneff
    He doesn’t need to speak to his insurance company when he can claim from the OPs.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 13th Mar 18, 5:13 PM
    • 10,953 Posts
    • 7,774 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:13 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:13 PM
    He doesn’t need to speak to his insurance company when he can claim from the OPs.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Well actually he does have to inform his insurance co, regardless of who he claims from.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 13th Mar 18, 5:20 PM
    • 550 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:20 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:20 PM
    A bumper going into a panel might not be felt. Panels are so thin they dent easily. Tell him to go through insurance and see what happens; he might not think it worthit for a small dent which can be pulled out easily.
    • Palk
    • By Palk 13th Mar 18, 5:43 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Palk
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:43 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:43 PM
    A bumper going into a panel might not be felt. Panels are so thin they dent easily. Tell him to go through insurance and see what happens; he might not think it worthit for a small dent which can be pulled out easily.
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond
    I have decided I'll tell him to go through the insurance, it might end up costing me more but I don't just want to give him the money. He got upset when I told him the price my mechanic told me no more than £150, that sounds to me like he just wants to squeeze money out of me.

Thanks for the advice.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 13th Mar 18, 7:13 PM
    • 13,536 Posts
    • 8,596 Thanks
    arcon5
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:13 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:13 PM
    Doesn't scream scam to me...Otherwise he'd have had a price at you within days, not drag it out
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 13th Mar 18, 7:21 PM
    • 10,439 Posts
    • 9,422 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:21 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:21 PM
    Do not admit anything. It is not for YOU the motorist to admit or deny liability or even discuss it. It is for the insurance co's to do that. Swap insurance details and do not enter into any further correspondence /conversation.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 13th Mar 18, 7:25 PM
    • 13,536 Posts
    • 8,596 Thanks
    arcon5
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:25 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:25 PM
    Ye definitely don't admit anything, as it may mean you have to pay for the damage you caused to somebody elses car...which by the way does sound like you did do it
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 13th Mar 18, 7:28 PM
    • 4,336 Posts
    • 2,468 Thanks
    Lorian
    I recently had a minor dent and scuff repaired by someone who reversed in to my bumper - it was just over £300. Thankfully I had the video.
    • Madbags
    • By Madbags 14th Mar 18, 12:26 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    Madbags
    Originally posted by McKneff
    My co-worker had something very similar happen to her recently. Some random lady come along screaming at her saying she hit her car when there was only damage to one of them, nothing at all on my co-workers car, not a scratch but her's had a dent/scruff in the front bumper like she had hit a bollard.

In a nutshell, it was found that she obviously didn't cause that damage and the woman must have been trying it on. But she was so forceful apparently saying it wss her, went through insurance and everything right away, she even called the police (not that they would do anything here).

You'd think you'd know if you hit something with your car.

In this case wouldn't the person who made up this false claim have her insurance cancelled, can she really go "Oh I must have been mistaken" and keep a good record after trying something on like this?
    • Palk
    • By Palk 21st Mar 18, 3:27 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Palk
    Well just to give you an update, he did called me on Friday and he told me some very weird estimates, from £300 to £700! I told him to contact the insurance and he started telling me that if I couldn't afford to pay the full amount I could give him part of it and he would cover the rest...strange. So I told him to don't bother me and call the insurance and he got quite upset and as I insisted him to contact the insurance and stop calling me, he hung up the phone. No news since then...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,667Posts Today

8,343Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin