Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gilly631
    • By Gilly631 13th Mar 18, 6:21 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Gilly631
    Parking outside marked bays... set up to fail!
    • 13th Mar 18, 6:21 AM
    Parking outside marked bays... set up to fail! 13th Mar 18 at 6:21 AM
    Good morning.

I had a hospital appointment yesterday at Stoke Mandeville. I went to park my car in a carpark outside outpatients with a barrier on entry. There were cars queuing to get into the car park but the machine was allowing people to take a ticket then allowed them in. I entered the car park on the assumption that if the barrier has opened and there is no message stating it was full then there must be spaces.

Anyway, at least five minutes of driving around told me otherwise. There was nothing other than a couple of disabled spaces. I am not disabled so didn’t want to take one of those spots but time was pressing in and I needed to get to my appointment.

Knowing there are other car parks at the hospital I thought I needed to try somewhere else. So, I pulled my car over to the side of the car park, not in a bay (as there weren’t any) but well out of anyone’s way and not blocking or hindering anyone else’s car, went over to the ticket machine to activate the ticket so I could use the exit barrier then went back to my car to find a parking charge notice!!

I was livid because it’s as if the car park had set me up to fail - surely the barrier shouldn’t have let anyone in if there were no spaces available?! I’d basically been trapped in the car park with no way of getting out - it was either park in a disabled spot or park in a none marked area in order to activate my ticket to leave the car park!!

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do about this please?

Many thanks,
    Laura.
Page 1
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 13th Mar 18, 7:29 AM
    • 1,561 Posts
    • 1,005 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:29 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:29 AM
    Pay up on find a technicality to void the ticket.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 13th Mar 18, 7:50 AM
    • 7,523 Posts
    • 6,019 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:50 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:50 AM
    Don!!!8217;t pay a penny. Repost in parking tickets board.
    • Nobbie1967
    • By Nobbie1967 13th Mar 18, 9:24 AM
    • 756 Posts
    • 843 Thanks
    Nobbie1967
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:24 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:24 AM
    Maybe this car park is different, but one where I couldn't find a space allowed you to leave within a short period without validating the ticket.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 13th Mar 18, 9:28 AM
    • 1,991 Posts
    • 2,627 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:28 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:28 AM
    Maybe this car park is different, but one where I couldn't find a space allowed you to leave within a short period without validating the ticket.
    Originally posted by Nobbie1967
    Do you have a time machine the OP can borrow?
    Please forgive the deliberate omission of apostrophes on some posts whilst I await MSE to do something about the daft codes that appear in their place when typing on certain devices.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 13th Mar 18, 10:15 AM
    • 8,619 Posts
    • 8,953 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:15 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:15 AM
    Gwt this into the Parking Tickets Subforum and start by reading the Newbies Sticky for the best help.

After doing that, when you are properly informed, I would suggest a strong complaint to PALS, who can normally get these cancelled.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 13th Mar 18, 10:17 AM
    • 8,619 Posts
    • 8,953 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:17 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:17 AM
    Pay up on find a technicality to void the ticket.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    How on earth do you find a "technicality" in what is essentially an unregulated scam industry where the facts of any transgression really don't matter?
    • Nobbie1967
    • By Nobbie1967 13th Mar 18, 10:38 AM
    • 756 Posts
    • 843 Thanks
    Nobbie1967
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:38 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:38 AM
    Do you have a time machine the OP can borrow?
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    The situation the OP describes, sounds like a catch 22, I was wondering if they could have just driven straight out again without needing to park and validate the ticket as the exit machine would know they've only been there 5 mins.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 13th Mar 18, 11:23 AM
    • 11,088 Posts
    • 7,909 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 13th Mar 18, 11:23 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 11:23 AM
    I was livid because it!!!8217;s as if the car park had set me up to fail - surely the barrier shouldn!!!8217;t have let anyone in if there were no spaces available?! I!!!8217;d basically been trapped in the car park with no way of getting out - it was either park in a disabled spot or park in a none marked area in order to activate my ticket to leave the car park!!
    Originally posted by Gilly631
    You said it yourself, there were spaces available, albeit for disabled drivers, so the car park wasn't full. You weren't "trapped" and you didn't have to pay to exit, you could have just parked alongside the ticket machine and activated your ticket or in a lot of cases just driven to the exit barrier and used it to leave.
    Last edited by neilmcl; 13-03-2018 at 11:25 AM.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 13th Mar 18, 11:26 AM
    • 11,088 Posts
    • 7,909 Thanks
    neilmcl
    The situation the OP describes, sounds like a catch 22, I was wondering if they could have just driven straight out again without needing to park and validate the ticket as the exit machine would know they've only been there 5 mins.
    Originally posted by Nobbie1967
    Most probably, yes.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 13th Mar 18, 11:41 AM
    • 3,758 Posts
    • 4,412 Thanks
    Johno100
    You said it yourself, there were spaces available, albeit for disabled drivers, so the car park wasn't full. You weren't "trapped" and you didn't have to pay to exit, you could have just parked alongside the ticket machine and activated your ticket or in a lot of cases just driven to the exit barrier and used it to leave.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    You seem to know a lot about this car park and how the specific system works there, are you local or just guessing?
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 13th Mar 18, 12:25 PM
    • 10,036 Posts
    • 11,301 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    you could have just parked alongside the ticket machine and activated your ticket or in a lot of cases just driven to the exit barrier and used it to leave.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    If the ticket needed activating/validating then this may well not have worked.
    In my local hospital (Redhill), you get a ticket when you enter the car park and you get up to 15 minutes free parking.
    However, to exit the car park you need to insert a validated ticket into the exit barrier machine and you can only get your ticket validated in one of the payment machines.
    These are only located inside the hospital building and it can't be done at the entrance or exit barriers.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 13th Mar 18, 12:26 PM
    • 3,383 Posts
    • 4,497 Thanks
    waamo
    This really needs to be on the Parking Tickets sub forum. I've got a feeling Stoke Mandeville do their own ticketing and don't use a parking company. It would help if the op could confirm that too.
    This space for hire.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 13th Mar 18, 2:09 PM
    • 11,088 Posts
    • 7,909 Thanks
    neilmcl
    If the ticket needed activating/validating then this may well not have worked.
    In my local hospital (Redhill), you get a ticket when you enter the car park and you get up to 15 minutes free parking.
    However, to exit the car park you need to insert a validated ticket into the exit barrier machine and you can only get your ticket validated in one of the payment machines.
    These are only located inside the hospital building and it can't be done at the entrance or exit barriers.
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    But the OP implied the ticket machine was in the car park hence why I mentioned if it needed validating then they could've simply parked near the machine, validated it and drove out.

I've been in a lot of hospital car parks over the past few years to also know that you can often drive out immediately without "validating" the ticket specifically to allow people to leave when there are no spaces.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 13th Mar 18, 2:17 PM
    • 11,088 Posts
    • 7,909 Thanks
    neilmcl
    This really needs to be on the Parking Tickets sub forum. I've got a feeling Stoke Mandeville do their own ticketing and don't use a parking company. It would help if the op could confirm that too.
    Originally posted by waamo
    I believe it's UKPC, according to Google street view.
    • Gilly631
    • By Gilly631 13th Mar 18, 4:16 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Gilly631
    Thanks for your replies everyone.... even the sarcastic ones !!!128077;

At that particular car park you have to get out of the car, leave the car park and go back to the entrance of the hospital in order to get to the ticket machine. And you cannot go through the exit barrier without validating your ticket.

Basically, the two options I was left with was to park in a disabled bay (which I didn’t want to do in case someone needed it) or park the car somewhere out of the way while I went back to the ticket machine.

Anyway, I was really after some guidance as to what to do next... do I wait for something to come through the post or do I appeal it now or do I complain to the hospital?
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 13th Mar 18, 4:43 PM
    • 2,279 Posts
    • 3,084 Thanks
    Robisere
    Refer back to posts 3, 6 and 13. You have already been given the guidance you asked for.

From Pogofish (Post 13):
    " Get this into the Parking Tickets Subforum and start by reading the Newbies Sticky for the best help.

After doing that, when you are properly informed, I would suggest a strong complaint to PALS, who can normally get these cancelled
    . "
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • Nilrem
    • By Nilrem 13th Mar 18, 5:13 PM
    • 2,383 Posts
    • 1,566 Thanks
    Nilrem
    You seem to know a lot about this car park and how the specific system works there, are you local or just guessing?
    Originally posted by Johno100
    I have to go to the hospital in question on a regular basis*, and like most such systems it gives you a ten minute grace period after you get the ticket in which to get out without paying, from memory it has it noted on/next to the barriers (and the pay machine) in all of the site car parks.

It's one of the better hospital pay and display car parks (I've had too much experience of them this last year, L&D is terrible).

*Last visit was to the eye department a couple of weeks back giving a friend a lift.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 13th Mar 18, 5:26 PM
    • 3,033 Posts
    • 2,193 Thanks
    Tarambor
    In our local hospital the way the car park entrance is set up you cannot reverse out if the barrier was not to open. When it is full you get your ticket as you enter, if you can't find a space you just go to the exit, put the ticket in the machine and it lets you out without charge.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 13th Mar 18, 5:31 PM
    • 11,088 Posts
    • 7,909 Thanks
    neilmcl
    In our local hospital the way the car park entrance is set up you cannot reverse out if the barrier was not to open. When it is full you get your ticket as you enter, if you can't find a space you just go to the exit, put the ticket in the machine and it lets you out without charge.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    As do a lot of them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,319Posts Today

8,135Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin