Neighbour damaged my gate....I have CCTV evidence!

Options

Comments

• shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    You don’t need to prove intent.

Either intent or recklessness. Hard to see how closing a gate 'forcibly' could be views as reckless to the point of criminal damage.

The police really really won't be interested. Almost certainly less so that the vicar.
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Don't waste your time on the police, skip straight ahead to the Daily Mail; they'd string this out over a 4-page spread.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Call the police then. I'm sure they'll appreciate the call.

"My neighbour shut my gate because it was open. It's broken. The people on the internet said I shouldn't call the vicar."

Whether they appreciate it or not, they’ll need to records the crime. Once that’s done it OP is entitled to an investigation.

I can see how they can ignore it given there cctv evidence.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I can see how they can ignore it given there cctv evidence.
    We don't need you to demonstrate that people make errors.

None of us has seen the footage, but what it probably shows is the lady ramming the gate shut, because that's what the OP says it shows. It will show nothing of the intent behind the action, and now it's broken, it will be hard to assume it was anything other than very stiff.

So the police will be able to concur with the OP that the lady shut the gate with some force, but not why she did that, or indeed whether there was any criminal intent behind that action.

So, as Nick Clegg said about Brexit yesterday, it would all be a "monumental waste of time."

I pay about £3.50 a week for the police in my area and I'd certainly not want that money spent on useless action like you are apparently proposing.
  • Wassa123
    Wassa123 Posts: 393 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe we need to see the footage to see what level of vandalism we're talking about.

Have you spoken to the woman about it? It could be she was drunk or doing something silly and is highly embarrassed and would offer to right the wrong.

Alternatively, you could call the police and report it on 101. They'll probably send a PCSO around as this is the kind of stuff they deal with. This is what happened when some 13 year old kids went round causing damage to cars and property.

We ended up with a letter of apology and 6 months worth of his pocket money to pay for the damage, along with a youth referral order and them being banned from the area.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    We don't need you to demonstrate that people make errors.

None of us has seen the footage, but what it probably shows is the lady ramming the gate shut, because that's what the OP says it shows. It will show nothing of the intent behind the action, and now it's broken, it will be hard to assume it was anything other than very stiff.

So the police will be able to concur with the OP that the lady shut the gate with some force, but not why she did that, or indeed whether there was any criminal intent behind that action.

So, as Nick Clegg said about Brexit yesterday, it would all be a "monumental waste of time."

I pay about £3.50 a week for the police in my area and I'd certainly not want that money spent on useless action like you are apparently proposing.

However if the op reports a crime it will be recorded as such before your three quid is spent investigating it.

Out of interest at what level would you suggest police ignore crime?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options

Out of interest at what level would you suggest police ignore crime?
    It's not a case of 'ignoring,' it's a situation of deciding how to deploy limited resources.

Most of the time, it's sufficient the police make a note of something they're told, so they can issue a crime number and log the incident.

You were suggesting they visit the OP and view the footage, which would not be a good use of time, as I've already explained.

Obviously, if the woman continued to cause damage and/or a situation of harrassment developed, police intervention would be appropriate.
  • Wassa123
    Wassa123 Posts: 393 Forumite
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    It's not a case of 'ignoring,' it's a situation of deciding how to deploy limited resources.

Most of the time, it's sufficient the police make a note of something they're told, so they can issue a crime number and log the incident.

You were suggesting they visit the OP and view the footage, which would not be a good use of time, as I've already explained.

Obviously, if the woman continued to cause damage and/or a situation of harrassment developed, police intervention would be appropriate.

If the OP has the CCTV footage of the "crime" then that's good enough to get a PCSO around. Open and closed case. Whether the OP wants to talk to the neighbour instead is the issue.

Police will prioritise incidents they get so theres no harm in reporting it. I once called the police to report kids on motorbikes/scooters riding on the pavement (without helmets). "Are you worried about their safety" they asked. "No I don't care about that, I'm worried about them hitting my parked car". I was actually surprised that on a Friday night, this was their most important priority so they sent someone straight round.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I think some on here may not be getting the point that this is OP's gate and not some communal gate that the neighbour was slamming.

The thing that isn't clear is whether there was a reason for the neighbour to touch the gate in the first place - as in, for instance, I've shut peoples gates as I went past them if I could see someone else might find they were obstructing the pavement they were trying to walk along.

So - there's a bit of a difference as to whether the gate was causing an obstruction to where people would be trying to walk or it was totally unnecessary for anyone to go touching someone else's gate in the first place (ie OP's).

There are neighbours that do odd things to someone else's property that there is no logical reason for. One of mine was being that way - pretty often - so what I did was "Tell Everyone" and laugh about her for being so odd. I'm guessing it eventually got back to her that her odd behaviour was being thrown right out around the local grapevine - and it did stop eventually (and...yes.....I'm pretty certain that a bit of damage that happened was down to her odd behaviour:cool:).
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No, people do get it. And they still think it's a waste of the vicar and the police's time. And that it was almost certainly unintentional until we see otherwise.

Even the OP got bored.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure