We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Cheap Rhubarb Crowns Anybody?

Options
Hello all,

I'm looking to plant up some rhubarb crowns does anyone know where I can get some cheap ones from. Seems there's nothing out there for less than a fiver!?

Comments

• Hoogle
    Hoogle Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    £2.49 on amazon
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Poundshops do them around now, or you could save a penny or two - and find them in the 99p stores!

There are normally plenty going spare amongst allotmenteers, or you could put a shout out on freecycle!
  • adonis
    adonis Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Local garden centre had two crowns for £2.50 not a cheap place either, so that must be the going rate.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,225 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Wilko usually have them, but check them over, some are wizened from too long in hot shop
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • elaineruk
    elaineruk Posts: 98 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies - I got this offer on an email http://www.hayloft-plants.co.uk/Rhubarb/x-hybridum-Timerley-Early-AGM/prod29698.html I have never seen such good quality rhubarb at such low prices - I mean £1.50 per crown for Timperley from Hayloft who are renowned for their quality - amazing deal - just ordered it along with a few other bits and bobs to spread the postage ;) as us money savers like to do!
  • Hebblethwaite
    Options
    I haven't used them myself, but Hayloft have a very poor rating on Trust Pilot.

I got my rhubarb from Wilko. As mentioned above, you have to be careful that you're getting fresh stock, but my crown grew well last year and I'm looking forward to my first harvest this year.
  • seanoctagan
    Options
    Thanks for that - I saw the reviews on Hayloft - if you've any experience with buying plants online from any of the major retailers you will know not to expect great big plants - I frequently buy from T&M's offers on this site and the first time I was disappointed with the size, until I realised that is how plants are sold via mail order. I've only had good experience with Hayloft. Will wait till my rhubarb arrives and then will update you - with pictures too hopefully
  • elaineruk
    Options
    I'll let you know my experience too when they arrive
  • safestored4
    Options
    Do you know anybody who has an allotment? If so they could probably get you a few big clumps for free.
  • elaineruk
    Options
    Yes I do - but he asked me if I know anywhere he can get rhubarb crowns this year as his have all died from last year!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure