Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ChrisBint
    • By ChrisBint 12th Mar 18, 4:18 PM
    • 45Posts
    • 4Thanks
    ChrisBint
    Handyman dispute - how best to deal with this
    • 12th Mar 18, 4:18 PM
    Handyman dispute - how best to deal with this 12th Mar 18 at 4:18 PM
    I instructed a local company (one-man band) to do some work in my rental property. The full list of work was as follows;

Plaster front room.
    Make good and plaster small area in bedroom around new Windows
    Repair small section of external render.
    Fix leaking gutter.
    Repair cupboard door
    Box in gas pipe in conjunction with front room plaster
    Fit skirting in front room
    Repair coving in bedroom.

For information, he subcontracted the plastering out, with my knowledge of him doing so.

All in the final invoice total is 1150.

All the work is now complete, however during the work the following happened;

Plasterer put no protection on floor in front room while plastering. Multiple attempts by both parties to fully remove have failed as there are a lot of small holes and marks that now have ingrained plaster in them. White marks over a lot of the floor do not really look good.

Plasterer decided not to bother with either asking me to, or doing it himself, take the radiators off the wall while making good the bedroom. As he was unable to get his tools into the small gap between the window cill and the radiator, there were a number of large holes left. Along with this, the blending in where possible was not great. Basically, I had to do a lot of sanding and filling to get this looking presentable.

Framework around window was not straight, there was a 3cm difference between recess at top and bottom of windows. The framework also did not fully cover the edges of the window frame, so there were gaps visible. While the windows themselves were possible not straight, I would have expected the framework to match and be the same size all round. I would add that the front of the recess and back of the recess were different measurements again.

No protection given to multiple sockets which were hanging out of the walls for plastering meaning they ended up with masses of plaster all over the wires. I was forced to replace one of the sockets and did the rest to match (please note this is at my expense).

Plaster all over radiators in bedroom and large lumps of it between the fans.

Plaster/render splashes over the decking in the garden. Although this has mostly been cleaned up, they are still partially visible.

Plaster/render splashes outside front of house. Again, mostly cleaned up now, but still visible to some degree.

Guttering quite possible still leaking after 2nd attempt to fix. Not been there will raining to confirm.

What I have had to do since he told me he had finished;

Revarnish the floor in a darker shade to hide the white marks. 2 hours for prep, 2 hours to paint + 50 for varnish

Repaint fireplace walls to cover plaster marks - Had paint, so just my time - 1 hour

Replace sockets - no cost element here, just time - 1 hour

Replace radiators (although I was toying with the idea anyway, he forced my hand) - no cost element attributed to him here, just time. - 2 hours

Fill holes in wall - 2 hours +

Add UPVC trim around windows to hide differences in framework and windows - 2 hours time.

So basically, I do not feel I should be paying the full amount. I have already paid him 740, that was 240 for materials and 500 once the plastering was complete (my gesture, he did not ask, although I am regretting this now)

So, I owe him 419.

I intend to suggest (tell him) a reduction of 150 based on the following;

50 for varnish
    100 day rate (very cheap, try getting someone at this price) for my time to fix issues that he tried to, but didn't or those I had already fixed. I gave him multiple chances to resolve the floor and on the last occasion told him to put key through door once complete, which he has done.

Does that sound fair, and reasonable? If not, why not? If so, how to approach as he sent invoice Saturday and will want paying fairly soon.

Thanks
    Last edited by ChrisBint; 12-03-2018 at 4:36 PM.
Page 1
    • phill99
    • By phill99 12th Mar 18, 5:00 PM
    • 8,064 Posts
    • 7,295 Thanks
    phill99
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:00 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:00 PM
    I think that is about right and tbh a bit generous of you.

Respectfully, the quote sounds too cheap for what you have had done and this maybe a lesson to you - pay cheap and pay twice.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • ChrisBint
    • By ChrisBint 12th Mar 18, 5:31 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    ChrisBint
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:31 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:31 PM
    I think that is about right and tbh a bit generous of you.

Respectfully, the quote sounds too cheap for what you have had done and this maybe a lesson to you - pay cheap and pay twice.
    Originally posted by phill99
    Interesting, what kind of proposal would you make?

Yes, learnt a few lessons on this one. Credit where it is due, the plasterer was mainly at fault here, not the handyman. However, he is ultimately responsible for the job and therefore has to deal with the consequences

Thanks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

21Posts Today

3,659Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin