PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Guide for conducting a viewing?

Options
My house goes on Rightmove tomorrow and I'll be doing the viewings. I wondered if anyone is aware of any good guides on how to conduct a viewing?

Having viewed a few properties myself recently, I have figured out some no-no's (one person hadn't hidden the big cat litter tray that was on the kitchen floor, eww), but I thought I'd try to seek expert advice from the helpful people on MSE.
(Nearly) dunroving

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Show them around then let them have a wander by themselves, have answers ready to typical questions (e.g. swot up on school catchment areas even if childfree), point them at agents for any negotiation rather than put your foot into it.
  • ceh209
    ceh209 Posts: 876 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think you mean you're doing the viewings rather than EA for selling your house?

I have just done this. Some guidance I got was:
    - Let people go into rooms first
    - If the rooms are quite small, don't go in at all.
    - Put lights on beforehand, especially if it's evenings and the lights are the type that take a while to warm up
    - Don't say anything bad about the neighbours even if you hate them!
    - Have something prepared to say when they ask you why you're moving or how much you're willing to accept pricewise
    - Say a little bit about the room rather than just what room it is e.g. 'This is bedroom 3, you can get a double in here but we prefer to have a single and use it as a study aswell' rather than 'This is the smallest of the bedrooms'
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
  • walwyn1978
    walwyn1978 Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ceh209 wrote: »
    I think you mean you're doing the viewings rather than EA for selling your house?
    '
    Of course it does. I'm a numpty. Mods, feel free to delete my earlier post on this thread, which adds nothing because I've read the question wrong. Apologies.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    edited 12 March 2018 at 5:17PM
    Options
    No brainer territory but make sure everywhere is clean and tidy; no clutter.

I second ceh; take a tip from Escape to the Country: Show them around the ground floor but give them free rein to explore other floors unless there are safety/security reasons why this is unwise. If so, these should be addressed prior to viewings.

Have every bit of information you can think of to hand/memorised. After all, you are looking to buy too; just put yourself in the viewers' position so gas/electricity/water costs; which way does the garden face; local amenities; nearest post office/pub/bus stop.

Bone up (is that still allowed? :D) on things like local transport services. So what if you never use them? You might sell to a couple, one of whom is a stay at home parent who does not have a car. Knowing how easy it is to access shopping and healthcare facilities can be a selling point.

What are the local schools like? If they are good, cite names and Ofsted reports.

Have answers to objections ready but be discreet with them. E.g. "This bedroom looks smaller than on RM/whatever", "But there is so much storage available". Don't start by saying, "I know this bedroom is a bit small but..."

Good luck and please let us know how you go.
  • Smodlet
    Options
    walwyn1978 wrote: »
    Of course it does. I'm a numpty. Mods, feel free to delete my earlier post on this thread, which adds nothing because I've read the question wrong. Apologies.

Delete it yourself.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    walwyn1978 wrote: »
    ;);)Probably be lots of really good advice on here, but one I'd say is: if you realise it's not for you whilst looking round, say so (politely obvs) and then cut it short. Saves you time and saves the EA time, which they will also be grateful for - no point spending 30 mins they could be doing something else showing you a property you have no desire to take any further.

Life's way too short to continue looking at a house you're not interested in any more because you're British and embarrassed to say so!!

Actually, one piece of advice I found for sellers ;-) is to give a fairly quick tour round, and then let the viewers walk around at their leisure while you "disappear" (while staying within earshot to make sure they are not stealing the silver cutlery!). I guess that helps deal with what you are describing - they can just say No Thanks and shoot off at that point, or stay longer if they are interested.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • dunroving
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Show them around then let them have a wander by themselves, have answers ready to typical questions (e.g. swot up on school catchment areas even if childfree), point them at agents for any negotiation rather than put your foot into it.

Yes, agent (Yopa) said divert any negotiations via him, which I am happy to do, and is what I am paying him for.

It's surprising how many people have already asked me how much I will sell it for. British obsession with house prices, I guess.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • walwyn1978
    walwyn1978 Posts: 837 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Delete it yourself.
    Done. They've obviously fixed the edit button to give you longer than when I last tried to edit something. Cheers.
  • dunroving
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    No brainer territory but make sure everywhere is clean and tidy; no clutter.

I second ceh; take a tip from Escape to the Country: Show them around the ground floor but give them free rein to explore other floors unless there are safety/security reasons why this is unwise. If so, these should be addressed prior to viewings.

Have every bit of information you can think of to hand/memorised. After all, you are looking to buy too; just put yourself in the viewers' position so gas/electricity/water costs; which way does the garden face; local amenities; nearest post office/pub/bus stop.

Bone up (is that still allowed? :D) on things like local transport services. So what if you never use them? You might sell to a couple, one of whom is a stay at home parent who does not have a car. Knowing how easy it is to access shopping and healthcare facilities can be a selling point.

What are the local schools like? If they are good, cite names and Ofsted reports.

Have answers to objections ready but be discreet with them. E.g. "This bedroom looks smaller than on RM/whatever", "But there is so much storage available". Don't start by saying, "I know this bedroom is a bit small but..."

Good luck and please let us know how you go.

Luckily, I am very familiar with the area, having lived here for 11 years, during which time I have used the buses frequently. ;-)

It's a great wee village north of Glasgow, with all sorts of great amenities, excellent schools, library, two pubs, Co-Op around the corner, doctor's surgery around the corner with same-day appointments, low Council tax, very mixed vibrant community (my street made it onto the national news during the recent Snowmageddon, because everyone came out and cleared the snow away, made pots of tea, etc.!), stupendous views. So, I'm not short of positive things to say - just about every one of those questions above has a positive answer. If I wasn't selling it, I'd buy it myself!
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Smodlet
    Options
    You will be fighting them off by the sounds of it, dunroving. At least those who like living within hailing distance of the Arctic Circle. :D:cool:

You will do fine; good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport