Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • summer201
    • By summer201 12th Mar 18, 3:21 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 0Thanks
    summer201
    Mobile Bar Business / Company / Tax Help
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:21 PM
    Mobile Bar Business / Company / Tax Help 12th Mar 18 at 3:21 PM
    Hello Everyone
    I hope you are well on this rainly London Monday :-)

Im in the process of starting a mobile bar business, I understand the licensing laws and what i need from local councils and a personal license.

In terms of my business can anyone advise,
    Do I need to be a limited company?
    Also is it only VAT i need to register for?
    With the product being alcohol which I will supply myself from a designated wholesaler, is there any other tax etc I should be aware of?

Many Thanks in advance for your help
Page 1
    • phill99
    • By phill99 12th Mar 18, 5:13 PM
    • 8,064 Posts
    • 7,295 Thanks
    phill99
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:13 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:13 PM
    Do I need to be a limited company?
    No. You can be a sole trader, partnership or LLP
    Also is it only VAT i need to register for?
    You should check with your accountant as Alcohol is involved, but normally you only register for VAT if your turnover is over 85k pa.
    With the product being alcohol which I will supply myself from a designated wholesaler, is there any other tax etc I should be aware of?
    No.

Get yourself a decent accountant now and get his advice. I have been in business 15 years and can guarantee that a good accountant is something that you can't afford not to have.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • Suarez
    • By Suarez 12th Mar 18, 8:25 PM
    • 946 Posts
    • 613 Thanks
    Suarez
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:25 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:25 PM
    Most of the time it's better to NOT voluntarily register for VAT and to wait until you hit the threshold.

It can only be assessed on a case by case basis but questions such as "Who are your target consumers?"

If you're providing to weddings, birthdays etc. they are unable to claim the VAT back so will effectively be paying 20% on top when compared to a non registered competitor.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 12th Mar 18, 8:59 PM
    • 31,606 Posts
    • 19,946 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:59 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:59 PM
    Don't forget PAT testing of your equipment, insurers may well ask it to be done.

Maybe your aware but as alcohol is involved you would need a licence.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • summer201
    • By summer201 14th Mar 18, 9:42 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    summer201
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:42 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:42 AM
    Thank you very much for your replies they have been very helpful.
    Notes taken haha
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

1,282Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin