Possible Openreach charge I'm not liable for

Options
I may be a tad premature with this one but thought it might be prudent to post here in case anyone else has been in this situation before me.
After a week without a broadband connection, and exploring every possible fix at my end, a BT Openreach engineer arrived yesterday to investigate. After running various diagnostics with his gizmos plugged into the main test socket in the house he stated he was getting no ADSL signal whatsoever so he had to visit the local exchange to check things. He eventually returned to say the fault had been fixed at the exchange and I now had an ADSL light again on my router and my TV was able to access online services. Great - no expensive bill for me then as the fault was outwith my premises. While he was here he installed a new master socket as he said my existing one was an old design but this was done AFTER the fault had been fixed. Today I got a phone call from my ISP (Fleur Telecom) saying they had the engineer's report and wanted to know if I was satisfied with the job, which I said I was. However, the report said that the engineer had replaced my master socket and then tested OK for ADSL which gives the impression that had cured the fault - no mention was made of his trip to the exchange to rectify the fault there. I stressed to the chap on the phone that it was not replacing my master socket which cured the fault and that I should not be liable for any charges. He said we would just have to wait and see if Openreach put in a charge for the work. I'm not one of life's great complainers but there will be one almighty stink raised if Openreach do try to charge me for this repair!

Comments

• littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,499 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The master socket belongs to Openreach, so unless it was damaged by you, there would be no charge.
  • Franco50
    Franco50 Posts: 16 Forumite
    edited 11 March 2018 at 2:45PM
    Options
    littleboo wrote: »
    The master socket belongs to Openreach, so unless it was damaged by you, there would be no charge.

Since making my original post I have had an email from my ISP (Fleur Telecom) stating that Openreach have indeed billed them for £170 and that charge will be passed onto me. To say I am fuming over this is an understatement. :mad::mad:

I have sent an email to my ISP explaining the chain of events yesterday and am tempted to complain directly to Openreach as well.
  • LazyTyper
    LazyTyper Posts: 372 Forumite
    Options
    It's sadly not unusual to find what Openreach tells the customer differs to the work report sent to the service provider.

If Fleur Telecom are adamant about the charge, then I suggest raising a formal complaint with them. It is up to them to then pursue this with Openreach (there are procedures they should follow to challenge the engineer's notes).

As for the socket, it is generally chargeable for a new one to be installed. The few exceptions normally are if it's not the NTE5 type (the charge scenarios are listed on the Openreach WLR3 documentation). However, as the engineer visit was to fix your broadband it seems the engineer replaced the socket of his (or her) own volition rather than on your request.

Do let us know how you get on.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Out of interest, if not the OP then who does absorb the cost? Is it Openreach or the ISP? If it is the ISP are they perhaps trying to pass the cost on?
  • bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Out of interest, if not the OP then who does absorb the cost? Is it Openreach or the ISP? If it is the ISP are they perhaps trying to pass the cost on?

Open reach being in charge of the exchanges should absorb the cost if the fault is with there equipment.

If the fault was with the ISP equipment at the exchange the ISP should absorb the cost.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure