Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gazelle1985
    • By Gazelle1985 10th Mar 18, 11:06 AM
    • 49Posts
    • 7Thanks
    Gazelle1985
    How much to push?
    • #1
    • 10th Mar 18, 11:06 AM
    How much to push? 10th Mar 18 at 11:06 AM
    We accepted an offer on our house from a FTB at the end of November and had an offer accepted on a house to buy in early December. Our vendor had an offer accepted on a vacant leasehold flat at the beginning of January (top of the chain).

    Our buyer has been ready to exchange for 2 months and we've been ready to exchange for 5 weeks, but everything is being held up by our vendor's purchase.

    The estate agents (who are managing both the house we are buying, and the flat our vendor is buying) have been telling us that we should be exchanging 'imminently' for the last month, but in reality we have no idea when we'll be exchanging. Apparently they are waiting for replies to enquiries, but who knows how long that will take.

    In the meantime, our buyer is becoming increasingly frustrated and pushing very hard for exchange, which is very stressful for us. We don't have any family nearby that we can stay with temporarily and also have pets, so completing on our sale and purchase separately would be very difficult for us. Our solicitor has asked our vendor's solicitor for him to consider temporary accommodation but thinks it is unlikely he will agree.

    We're terrified of losing our buyer, but unsure what (if anything) we can do. Any advice?!
Page 1
    • betsie
    • By betsie 10th Mar 18, 11:57 AM
    • 424 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    betsie
    • #2
    • 10th Mar 18, 11:57 AM
    • #2
    • 10th Mar 18, 11:57 AM
    Phone up the estate agent Monday and tell them you will loose your buyer and the chain will collapse if an exchange date is not agreed that week with exchange no later than 2 weeks from Monday. The EA won!!!8217;t want to loose 2 lots of commission so might get his finger out if you are lucky. Don!!!8217;t worry about upsetting them you have been very patient. The joys of buying and selling houses
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 10th Mar 18, 6:20 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    • #3
    • 10th Mar 18, 6:20 PM
    • #3
    • 10th Mar 18, 6:20 PM
    If your buyers are FTB try to find out whether their impatience is fuelled by a real need to move by a certain date, or if they are just frustrated with the lengthy process which is unfamiliar to them. I'd only start making ultimatums etc. if I'd done that and had actual knowledge, rather than just a fear, that the buyer would pull out. I would also try to get the EA to do the running, rather than yourself, so that your vendors don't get told the pushing is being done by you.

    When we sold in December the delays in the upward chain did present a risk that our buyer would walk, so we decided to exchange on that sale anyway. The upshot of that decision was that our vendors then became worried that we'd wander into rented in their area too and also pull out. So they changed their mind about not being able to move out themselves until the problem above them was sorted. So we ended up completing on both the same day anyway, despite exchanging later on the purchase. It was a gamble because we had nowhere sorted to stay but we didn't have any pets.

    Good luck, hope it gets sorted soon
    Hamster in the wheel (London) 1999-2017
    Mortgage free since 2015; Pension pot sorted 2017
    Part-time gigger and charity volunteer 2018
    • Gazelle1985
    • By Gazelle1985 11th Mar 18, 7:14 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Gazelle1985
    • #4
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:14 AM
    • #4
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:14 AM
    Thank you for your replies. Good idea to try and find out whether our buyer needs to move by a particular date - I suspect he is just (understandably) getting frustrated by how long it's taking though. Is 2 months a reasonable amount of time to wait for exchange or do you think we are within our rights to try and get our vendor to committ to a date for exchange?
    • Amanda_Cm
    • By Amanda_Cm 11th Mar 18, 8:50 AM
    • 166 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    Amanda_Cm
    • #5
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:50 AM
    • #5
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:50 AM
    Gazelle, are you my vendor?
    Joking but we are in similar situation as first time buyers in a chain of three. Problem top of the chain - negative equity on their otherwise no chain property. 12 weeks since offer accepted.
    We are not in a rush to move from where we rent but some people may be because the LL is selling or different reason. I knew it may take long and said to myself that I will give notice only if we had exchanged.
    I am pushing a bit, not too hard because otherwise I will not get any information about the delay. That's the frustrating bit. You feel out of control and you don't know what is going on.
    We really like the house and I am looking on Rightmove every day but I can't find anything that covers same or more boxes than this one.
    That's why we wait and I am trying to be calm and understanding. I will be really sad if the chain collapses but probably will be still stick to our vendor if he still wants to sell.
    • Amanda_Cm
    • By Amanda_Cm 11th Mar 18, 8:58 AM
    • 166 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    Amanda_Cm
    • #6
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:58 AM
    • #6
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:58 AM
    Also I don't want to lose the aprox 1.9k in fees
    I know renting is like loosing money but prices are gone up in our area so if we look for house again now we are getting a bit less for our money.
    Hope your buyer thinks the same.
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 11th Mar 18, 9:08 AM
    • 245 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    • #7
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:08 AM
    • #7
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:08 AM
    I would just move out and rent rather than waiting and losing your buyer. If it falls through you are then in a much better position to buy down the line .
    • Gazelle1985
    • By Gazelle1985 11th Mar 18, 3:49 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Gazelle1985
    • #8
    • 11th Mar 18, 3:49 PM
    • #8
    • 11th Mar 18, 3:49 PM
    The lack of control is the hardest thing, and indefinite waiting time...I'm really struggling with having no idea when we'll be moving. I want to try and insist that we agree on a deadline to exchange but not sure if it'll work.
    • Amanda_Cm
    • By Amanda_Cm 11th Mar 18, 4:02 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    Amanda_Cm
    • #9
    • 11th Mar 18, 4:02 PM
    • #9
    • 11th Mar 18, 4:02 PM
    Speak to the EA! He can talk to your buyers and explain the situation. They can explain theirs as well. His job is to keep the chain intact and in the end of the day you are paying him to do that.
    • Gazelle1985
    • By Gazelle1985 16th Mar 18, 3:40 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Gazelle1985
    Hi,

    We have said that we’re not willing to wait indefinitely and asked whether our vendor is willing to vacate but the estate agent and solicitors seem to be refusing to acknowledge this question and are refusing to commit to (or even entertain the idea of) any timescales. The hold-up is because it he is buying a leasehold flat, and apparently there are ongoing enquiries with the management company, so it could take many more weeks/months I think.

    We have now been ready to exchange for 6 weeks. Our buyers have been waiting to exchange for 10 weeks. We accepted their offer 4 months ago.

    Is it reasonable for us to be getting fed up of waiting?
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 16th Mar 18, 3:58 PM
    • 10,652 Posts
    • 13,935 Thanks
    hazyjo
    So the chain wasn't complete until early Jan.


    Nothing should have been started until then. That's only been 10 weeks or so.


    Average takes 12 weeks. Leasehold slightly longer. I really don't know why people (your buyers in this instance) slam down deadlines. By all means go as quick as you all can, but I stand by the fact the only thing that causes grief, stress, tears, frustration and anger is when people start throwing down deadlines and throwing their toys out the pram when it doesn't happen.


    Really, there is nothing unusual about this chain at all. Trouble is, some EAs will tell their clients 'it should take 6-8 weeks' or other such optimistic BS. It can take that, but more likely 12.


    Perhaps speak with the EA to try to explain this to your buyers. They are being impatient - probably for no actual reason at all.
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • Gazelle1985
    • By Gazelle1985 16th Mar 18, 6:19 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Gazelle1985
    Thanks, that's a good viewpoint. I think it's actually our buyer's solicitor who is panicking them. But our estate agent (the one we're buying from) has set our expectations unrealistically as well, telling us every week for the last 5 or 6 weeks that we should be exchanging any day now. Of course, we know that he really has no idea, but when you're desperate to move and terrified of losing your buyer, you cling onto anything you're told!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

44Posts Today

3,103Users online

Martin's Twitter