PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Mortgage Deposit Loan/Tax implications

Options
Can someone please assist.

My friend has agreed to loan me the money to put down as a deposit to buy my first home. She does not require the loan to be repaid until the house is sold (we have a 5 year plan) and would expect a return on her loan (for example 10% of the market value of the property) and has suggested if she dies before it is repaid, then it does not need to be repaid. She does not want a beneficial interest in my property but would want to ensure that she has a return. We have a situation that we would do an informal agreement but are not foolish to do so as we wish to ensure we are both protected should we fall out with each other)

How would this type of arrangement be viewed by Lenders? I don’t want it to affect the affordability assessment.
Are there any Tax implications CGT IHT etc for either of us?
Do we need to notify HMRC?
How would we draw up such an agreement with appropriate terminology?
Any other issues I need to consider if not addressed above?

Grateful for any advice.

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yes it will affect your affordability, why won't it? You are taking a loan that has to be repaid on top of anything you borrow on a mortgage from a lender. If this private loan is the sole source of your deposit them you are in really asking the mortgage company to give you a 100% mortgage, something they really will be upset about if they find out.

friend expects to get back more than they loaned you. They may not have a share of the legal ownership but depending how the loan is worded they very easily could have a beneficial share of the ownership, in which case they would face a CGT bill for the gain on their "10%" or whatever you agree they will get

if written a different way, so that friend is not a beneficial owner, but merely gets back the loan + an agreed interest figure, then friend would be liable to income tax on said interest figure.

the amount outstanding on the loan would form part of friend's estate if they died. You have already suggested a way around that by putting in writing that any o/s loan is written off on death.

you need to see a solicitor, not try and DIY legal agreements on the cheap
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jmlng wrote: »
    How would this type of arrangement be viewed by Lenders?
    Poorly. They don't like you borrowing for your deposit. They might accept gifts (generally only from close family members), but not investments by your pals. So not much point worrying about the other implications until you know whether it even works from the lender's point of view.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure