Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wit40iwtwan
    • By wit40iwtwan 9th Mar 18, 3:19 PM
    • 360Posts
    • 3,237Thanks
    wit40iwtwan
    Advice please - Car stuff
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:19 PM
    Advice please - Car stuff 9th Mar 18 at 3:19 PM
    hi there

Hubby and I thought we needed to replace our current 2004 Peugeot 307 as it has an MOT running out in April and what my son (a mechanic) thinks is an oil leak that will cost around 200 to fix.

We only paid about 250 for the car from a friend so not sure we should fix or scrap.

The car has done 120 000 miles and while I am not a car buff and see it purely as something to go from A to B hubby is in favour of spending money to replace it.

IF we replace it I will be funding the replacement from my hard earned bonus (one I have never really spent on myself so feeling a bit aggrieved here).

The question/advice is as follows:

Is there anywhere that gives me a total cost of ownership comparison on used cars?

Is it better to go for big miles or younger car?

If we do agree to spend money I do not want to spend more than 2000 - preferably no more than 1000

We do not need a large car but hubby really wants cruise control and I want comfortable seating. I do not want to be paying more than 130 annual road tax and am not sure if buying a diesel is sensible considering it would be easy to put the road tax up.

The car needs to last between 3 - 5 years.

Tall order but hopefully someone can give me some suggestions.
    Last edited by wit40iwtwan; 09-03-2018 at 3:34 PM.
    Save 2018 in 2018
    Pay off 6000 on Mortgage in 2018 - MF wannabe
    Throw away 2018 items in 2018

Frugal fun for 2018 - how many No Spend Days can I do and how often can I just step away and not buy stupid stuff I do not need!
Page 1
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 9th Mar 18, 3:33 PM
    • 4,188 Posts
    • 9,418 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:33 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:33 PM
    Pot luck if a 1000 car will last 3 or 5 years, sorry. It might, but no-one can tell for certain. My colleague just bought a small, 13 year old VW for that amount. They have already had to spend over three hundred quid on it.

You can get cheap old "executive" cars with all the toys, but when they break they remember the 50k price tag they had in the showroom when the repair bills come in.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Mar 18, 3:36 PM
    • 17,395 Posts
    • 15,759 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:36 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:36 PM
    Is there anywhere that gives me a total cost of ownership comparison on used cars?

If we do agree to spend money I do not want to spend more than 2000 - preferably no more than 1000
    Originally posted by wit40iwtwan
    Absolutely impossible to say at this end of the market. It really is about looking at individual cars, and seeing what they are like.

Your son's a mechanic? I've never yet met a mechanic who doesn't know somebody who will be damn near guaranteed to have a choice of 1k sheds kicking about, and he's ideally placed to judge which of them are worth buying. Get him on the look-out, and you'll almost certainly have something suitable lined up within days.

The car needs to last between 3 - 5 years.
    For a grand? With, I presume, bare-minimum maintenance, if you're drawing red lines based on the cost of tax and considering bopping your 307 on the head for an oil leak and impending test...? I admire your optimism...
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 9th Mar 18, 3:37 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 1,983 Thanks
    fatrab
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:37 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:37 PM
    Is there anything else wrong with the car you've already got? 200 to keep it on the road for another year seems reasonable, for 1000 you might just be buying someone else's bag of problems.

There's no right or wrong answer to your question about miles vs age, it's more to do with how those miles have been covered. I'd rather have a car that's done 80,000 motorway miles and had the oil changed every 6000 miles than a car a 40,000 that's been ragged all over the place and never had the oil checked, never mind replaced.

Autotrader allow you to search based on price, tax band, and if you enter "cruise" into the "more details" section, that'll tell what models have it.

Best of luck
    Last edited by fatrab; 09-03-2018 at 3:40 PM.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    May's targets - Lose 1 stone - 6lbs off, 25/31 AFDs, 15/18 lunches.
    37 x 2 coins (#32) - Wannabe debt free by Dec 2022
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 9th Mar 18, 8:40 PM
    • 3,124 Posts
    • 1,999 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:40 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:40 PM
    For 200, you'd be better off just getting the oil leak fixed.

At the 1000 price range, you could be getting an old but lovingly cared for car, or you could get some ratty old shed that someone wants to get rid of because they know there's a big bill coming up.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • samsung laptop
    • By samsung laptop 9th Mar 18, 8:48 PM
    • 300 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    samsung laptop
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:48 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:48 PM
    what my son (a mechanic) thinks is an oil leak that will cost around 200 to fix.
    Originally posted by wit40iwtwan
    What does he thinks wrong with it.
    • Hoof Hearted
    • By Hoof Hearted 9th Mar 18, 9:12 PM
    • 2,071 Posts
    • 1,969 Thanks
    Hoof Hearted
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:12 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:12 PM
    If your son is a mechanic, why doesn't he fix it for you at cost -- probably a gasket?
    Je suis sabot...
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 9th Mar 18, 9:19 PM
    • 2,501 Posts
    • 7,475 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:19 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:19 PM
    Better the devil you know, than somebody else's problems!
    If your own car needs a bit of work, but you know the rest of it is in reasonable shape, it's a no-brainer really.
    "Luck happens where hard work meets opportunity"
    • walwyn1978
    • By walwyn1978 9th Mar 18, 9:40 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    walwyn1978
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:40 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:40 PM
    Unless there's other issues with your current car, pay the money and get a years ticket on it. Don't spend more money on a car you don't know that at that price point could have issues costing you another 1k within weeks. 3-5 years out of banger money is possible, but optimistic in my view.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 10th Mar 18, 4:30 PM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 2,066 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Fix the car. My sis in law had a W reg Vauxhall Astra worth 150 on a good day. 2 months MOT left and clutch went a few weeks ago. Told her to put it through a MOT and find out what it failed on and how much a clutch would be. Well it went straight through the MOT and passed with a few advisories, clutch replacement was going to be 300. My stupid sis in law decided to ignore my advice, not to put a new clutch in her 150 Vauxhall Astra because it was going to cost 300 and instead go and buy another car. She found a cheap Corsa, the week later she found out why it was cheap as it ended up in the garage having to have a few hundred quid spent on suspension work.

Better the devil you know. I'd not think twice of spending a grand on a car in a year on none servicing repairs because I know the history of the vehicle and that grand spent is likely to be on things never needing replacing again before it ends up in the scrapyard. If I'd sold my broken car I'd not get much for it and the 1000 I saved on repairs and used to buy another car would only buy me something most likely to have its own set of issues needing fixing in the next year or so but I'd have no idea what they were when I bought it.

The other thing people overlook when deciding to get a new(er) car to save repair bills on their existing one which may cost more than it is worth is depreciation. I bought a 2010 Mondeo at 2 years old for 8500, just 1/3 of its new value. Today its worth around 2500. Depreciation alone has cost me 1000 a year and only because I managed to get it dirt cheap and kept it over half a decade. Get a car of an age and mileage where you're most likely not to have much in the way of repairs and 1000 a year or more is the kind of depreciation you'll be looking at simply for owning the car. All of a sudden that 200 repair looks cheap in comparison.

Personally I've never understood how spending 1000s on a newer car to avoid repair bills in the 100s on their current one makes sense to anyone.
    Last edited by Tarambor; 10-03-2018 at 4:38 PM.
    • facade
    • By facade 10th Mar 18, 5:03 PM
    • 3,156 Posts
    • 1,659 Thanks
    facade
    +1 on fixing yours for 200.
    No matter what car you buy, you will end up paying to transfer your insurance, and probably an overlapping month's tax, which will put a sizeable dent in that 200 you are saving by not fixing it.
    Then what can you buy for what you get for yours plus what is left of the 200?
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,990Posts Today

6,015Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin