Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ozmusafir
    • By ozmusafir 9th Mar 18, 12:29 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 2Thanks
    ozmusafir
    Taylor Wimpey - Service Charge on freehold
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:29 PM
    Taylor Wimpey - Service Charge on freehold 9th Mar 18 at 12:29 PM
    I reserved a Taylor Wimpey newbuild recently and notice there is a service charge to maintain the communal areas. I'm worried about this since the property is a freehold, the management company can charge as they wish and I don't have a leg to stand on. According to the reservation form it's currently 228 and will raise in 10 years with inflation. When did this ever become a thing?
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 9th Mar 18, 12:33 PM
    • 7,653 Posts
    • 7,793 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:33 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:33 PM
    When did this ever become a thing?
    Originally posted by ozmusafir
    Since decades ago, when councils stopped readily taking over liability for landscaped areas / access roads for maintenance.
    • ozmusafir
    • By ozmusafir 9th Mar 18, 12:48 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ozmusafir
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:48 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:48 PM
    ^^ dammit.

Did anyone experience sharp increases in the charge?
    • BuzzLightyear
    • By BuzzLightyear 21st Mar 18, 6:32 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BuzzLightyear
    • 21st Mar 18, 6:32 PM
    • 21st Mar 18, 6:32 PM
    ^^ dammit.

Did anyone experience sharp increases in the charge?
    Originally posted by ozmusafir
    No. Mines not budged in 4 years. Though when the council adopted the park as part of the estate i note it didnt go down!

Generally the size of the charge isnt a big worry...its not going to rocket.
    And in any event the estate owners can at a later date club together and replace the existing management company.

....if you're not too busy chasing them for not doing any of the maintenance...or like in my road have two guys with leaf blowers clearing the street then at the end of the cul-de-sac blow the whole lot up the last houses drive way
    • Ithilien
    • By Ithilien 21st Mar 18, 7:07 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Ithilien
    • 21st Mar 18, 7:07 PM
    Join the Homeowners Rights Network group on Facebook - lots of people in the same situation!
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 21st Mar 18, 7:07 PM
    • 2,462 Posts
    • 1,610 Thanks
    flashg67
    Our developer ran the management co whilst building & we all chipped in approx 200 at the start. It is now about to be run by the residents and we'll be paying about 100 pa.
    • stator
    • By stator 21st Mar 18, 9:04 PM
    • 6,228 Posts
    • 4,112 Thanks
    stator
    • 21st Mar 18, 9:04 PM
    • 21st Mar 18, 9:04 PM
    The main question is whether the owners of the freehold will have the right to replace the management company. If they do not, then I would not buy a house in this situation.

You also have to get your solicitor to check what is included in the service charge. If the estate has it's own private sewage pumping station then this can cost large amounts of money in the future. I would refuse to buy a house that has a private sewage pumping station, the developer SHOULD be building it to a standard that the local sewage company will adopt it. If they aren't adopting it, then you will be paying for it forever.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • ozmusafir
    • By ozmusafir 22nd Mar 18, 11:59 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ozmusafir
    • 22nd Mar 18, 11:59 AM
    • 22nd Mar 18, 11:59 AM
    I checked the paperwork and the residence must pay to manage the Road and green area. I need to check if the roads are made to specification, if not the councils won't adopt it. We are still waiting for the contract paperwork to arrive. I will report back any updates.
    • CM66
    • By CM66 22nd Mar 18, 12:27 PM
    • 536 Posts
    • 3,079 Thanks
    CM66
    • 22nd Mar 18, 12:27 PM
    • 22nd Mar 18, 12:27 PM
    I guess it depends on the management company, i've been in my house coming up to 9 years and i think my charge might have gone up by about 10 total in that time (i pay about 130 a year)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,667Posts Today

8,343Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin