PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Taylor Wimpey - Service Charge on freehold

I reserved a Taylor Wimpey newbuild recently and notice there is a service charge to maintain the communal areas. I'm worried about this since the property is a freehold, the management company can charge as they wish and I don't have a leg to stand on. According to the reservation form it's currently £228 and will raise in 10 years with inflation. When did this ever become a thing?

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ozmusafir wrote: »
    When did this ever become a thing?
    Since decades ago, when councils stopped readily taking over liability for landscaped areas / access roads for maintenance.
  • ozmusafir
    ozmusafir Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    ^^ dammit.

Did anyone experience sharp increases in the charge?
  • ozmusafir wrote: »
    ^^ dammit.

Did anyone experience sharp increases in the charge?

No. Mines not budged in 4 years. Though when the council adopted the park as part of the estate i note it didnt go down!

Generally the size of the charge isnt a big worry...its not going to rocket.
    And in any event the estate owners can at a later date club together and replace the existing management company.

....if you're not too busy chasing them for not doing any of the maintenance...or like in my road have two guys with leaf blowers clearing the street then at the end of the cul-de-sac blow the whole lot up the last houses drive way :)
  • Ithilien
    Ithilien Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Join the Homeowners Rights Network group on Facebook - lots of people in the same situation!
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Our developer ran the management co whilst building & we all chipped in approx £200 at the start. It is now about to be run by the residents and we'll be paying about £100 pa.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The main question is whether the owners of the freehold will have the right to replace the management company. If they do not, then I would not buy a house in this situation.

You also have to get your solicitor to check what is included in the service charge. If the estate has it's own private sewage pumping station then this can cost large amounts of money in the future. I would refuse to buy a house that has a private sewage pumping station, the developer SHOULD be building it to a standard that the local sewage company will adopt it. If they aren't adopting it, then you will be paying for it forever.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • ozmusafir
    ozmusafir Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I checked the paperwork and the residence must pay to manage the Road and green area. I need to check if the roads are made to specification, if not the councils won't adopt it. We are still waiting for the contract paperwork to arrive. I will report back any updates.
  • CM66
    CM66 Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I guess it depends on the management company, i've been in my house coming up to 9 years and i think my charge might have gone up by about £10 total in that time (i pay about £130 a year)
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    ozmusafir wrote: »
    I reserved a Taylor Wimpey newbuild recently and notice there is a service charge to maintain the communal areas. I'm worried about this since the property is a freehold, the management company can charge as they wish and I don't have a leg to stand on. According to the reservation form it's currently £228 and will raise in 10 years with inflation. When did this ever become a thing?

We were surprised too. Apparently it's been at least 10 years.

Taylor Wimpey is fixed for 10 years, then after it rises by RPI.

However Countryside, Persimmon and Bovis are all variable from year to year, meaning in year two they could up it from £200 in year one, to £400 in year two and again if they like.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure