Selling good on bought from discount sites

Hi

My question: Is it ok to buy items from sites such as WISH or ALIEXPRESS and sell them on ebay for a higher price? Is it even possible (or ethical or legal) to advertise on Ebay but get the item delivered to customer directly from WISH etc?

Thanks

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Numpty69 wrote: »
    Hi

My question: Is it ok to buy items from sites such as WISH or ALIEXPRESS and sell them on ebay for a higher price? Is it even possible (or ethical or legal) to advertise on Ebay but get the item delivered to customer directly from WISH etc?

Thanks

Selling an item that you don't have in stock but you order from another supplier direct to the customer is called "drop shipping".

Whilst it's perfectly legal it may be against T&C of the site "you sell" on.

To give you an idea of the scale, google or search Israel and Amazon Drop Shipping to see quite how extensive it is, already.
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi

Thanks
    and it does mean you are running a business
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Hi

Thanks
    Answers.
    1. Yes
    2. Possible yes. Ethical, probably. Legal, yes (provided you register as a business with HMRC and don't break any trade laws).

Better questions:

Is it a good idea? Not really.
    Can I earn any money doing it? Not really.
    Does anyone else do it? Yes.
    Do most of the sellers on Aliexpress and Wish already have their own accounts on Ebay and sell at the same price? Most of them, yes.

As for dropshipping, you plan on selling items on Ebay that will take two to three weeks to arrive from China. One customer in ten demanding a refund for late delivery will wipe out your profit. Add to that that you also have to sell within UK consumer laws and your suppliers don't.
  • vtech19
    vtech19 Posts: 17 Forumite
    if your making a regular income then it's a business, or will be treated as one by the DWP/HMRC and/or whoever else wants to dip their hands in your pocket
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    vtech19 wrote: »
    if your making a regular income then it's a business, or will be treated as one by the DWP/HMRC and/or whoever else wants to dip their hands in your pocket

I can't quite work out if you are post racking for a later spam edition or not. Your posts are rather odd.

Being a business or not does not depend on "making a regular income".
  • ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 March 2018 at 12:24PM
    Currently, the terms and conditions on eBay read as follows:
    "Items you list must be in your inventory or you must have an existing agreement with a third party to fulfill the delivery of the item under the terms of your listing." http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-practices.html

So if, for example, you were to place the order and the third party you didn't have an arrangement with, this may come to light when they failed to deliver your item. You will have failed to meet your obligation to the customer to fulfil the order and are in breach of eBays terms and conditions.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary

So if, for example, you were to place the order and the third party you didn't have an arrangement with, this may come to light when they failed to deliver your item. You will have failed to meet your obligation to the customer to fulfil the order and are in breach of eBays terms and conditions.
    Ebay only really care where the item is coming from if the customer starts to complain when it's late.
    Interestingly Ebay in Australia have just put out new rules stopping sellers from dropshipping and especially from having goods sent from Amazon. It's impossible for them to police. Again it's only when things go wrong that they find out.

For a while I was selling craft supplies mostly imported from the Far East. One of my main suppliers started to offer a dropshipping service and pretty much ruined the market overnight. Items I regularly sold for £2-£3 now have hundreds of sellers offering them at 50p.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure