Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • martinlewisjunior
    • By martinlewisjunior 7th Mar 18, 6:42 PM
    • 77Posts
    • 12Thanks
    martinlewisjunior
    Ground Rent Doubling Every 25 Years - Question
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:42 PM
    Ground Rent Doubling Every 25 Years - Question 7th Mar 18 at 6:42 PM
    Hi,

Slight concern am I able to avoid the doubling ground rent on my flat if I go down the statutory route which would make the ground rent £0? Of course it would add 90 years as well as a bonus.

Details about the flat:
    112 years remaining on the lease. Current ground rent £150 doubling every 25 years. Next double January 1st 2030.

Final double would be January 1st 2105 for the remainder of the term for £2400.

Also how much would this cost? Iíve made a rough guess by calculating ground rent of each year /term by 7.25% and totalling up each year to give me a total of £8300, does this sound about right?

Thank you!
Page 1
    • John-K
    • By John-K 7th Mar 18, 7:38 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    John-K
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:38 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:38 PM
    I can!!!8217;t answer your question, but thought it worth pointing out that a 25year doubling is only 2.8% a year growth. Not ideal, but not crippling.
    • martinlewisjunior
    • By martinlewisjunior 7th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    martinlewisjunior
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    I can!!!8217;t answer your question, but thought it worth pointing out that a 25year doubling is only 2.8% a year growth. Not ideal, but not crippling.
    Originally posted by John-K
    Would you say itís worth doing? I plan on keeping the apartment for quite a long term and have no plans on selling in the near future.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 7th Mar 18, 8:54 PM
    • 3,694 Posts
    • 5,551 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:54 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:54 PM
    Pay £8,000 now to save just over £1,500 over the next ten years? 30+ years to reach break even point? As they say on that car ad 'You do the maths'.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

742Posts Today

6,792Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This tweet made me reread my 'How to Vote in the EU referendum' guide - quite interesting to realise how little has? https://t.co/lFQaSSqUGj

• Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Follow Martin