PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tennancy renewal fee help

Options
Hi all,

My tenancy agreement is due for renewal and there is a renewal fee of £72 in my existing contract.

However, the letting agency is trying to get me to pay this before sending the new agreement. This seems completely wrong to me. Why would I pay an extension fee before knowing what the new terms are?

I have questioned this and they have confirmed that they won't send me the e-document to be signed until they receive the payment.

My current agreement actually ended in Feb and they've only just got round to sending me a new one (they are useless!). Does this change anything, or am I still within my rights to say I'm not paying an extension fee until I know what the terms are?

And seeing as how the agreement has ended, could I technically leave and not have to give them any notice? Or would the terms of the old agreement still exist as a rolling contract?

Thanks in advance! :D

Mike

Comments

• martinlewisjunior
    Options
    Don!!!8217;t pay, just move onto a rolling contract.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do nothing, don't sign, stay. Your tenancy continues monthly, for ever, same terms
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If your old tenancy agreement has ended by even a single day then you have entered either a:
    Statutory periodic tenancy
    or a
    Contractual periodic tenancy.
    Which you have depends on whether your original tenancy says what happens after the tenancy expires. If it says that your tenancy continues on a month to month basis, then you have a contractual periodic. If your existing tenancy says nothing about what happens when it ends, then you have a statutory periodic tenancy.

Either way, unless you want a new tenancy agreement, ignore the agency and don't pay the money.

If you DO want another 6 month tenancy (not sure why you would) then yes, I completely agree with you, you should say to them "I am not paying anything until I see the full terms and conditions of the new agreement." Do not say anything else.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure