Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mike84edwards
    • By mike84edwards 7th Mar 18, 6:19 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mike84edwards
    Tennancy renewal fee help
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:19 PM
    Tennancy renewal fee help 7th Mar 18 at 6:19 PM
    Hi all,

My tenancy agreement is due for renewal and there is a renewal fee of 72 in my existing contract.

However, the letting agency is trying to get me to pay this before sending the new agreement. This seems completely wrong to me. Why would I pay an extension fee before knowing what the new terms are?

I have questioned this and they have confirmed that they won't send me the e-document to be signed until they receive the payment.

My current agreement actually ended in Feb and they've only just got round to sending me a new one (they are useless!). Does this change anything, or am I still within my rights to say I'm not paying an extension fee until I know what the terms are?

And seeing as how the agreement has ended, could I technically leave and not have to give them any notice? Or would the terms of the old agreement still exist as a rolling contract?

Thanks in advance!

Mike
Page 1
    • martinlewisjunior
    • By martinlewisjunior 7th Mar 18, 6:44 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    martinlewisjunior
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:44 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:44 PM
    Don!!!8217;t pay, just move onto a rolling contract.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 7th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    • 9,527 Posts
    • 12,775 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    Do nothing, don't sign, stay. Your tenancy continues monthly, for ever, same terms
    • stator
    • By stator 7th Mar 18, 8:55 PM
    • 6,224 Posts
    • 4,108 Thanks
    stator
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:55 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:55 PM
    If your old tenancy agreement has ended by even a single day then you have entered either a:
    Statutory periodic tenancy
    or a
    Contractual periodic tenancy.
    Which you have depends on whether your original tenancy says what happens after the tenancy expires. If it says that your tenancy continues on a month to month basis, then you have a contractual periodic. If your existing tenancy says nothing about what happens when it ends, then you have a statutory periodic tenancy.

Either way, unless you want a new tenancy agreement, ignore the agency and don't pay the money.

If you DO want another 6 month tenancy (not sure why you would) then yes, I completely agree with you, you should say to them "I am not paying anything until I see the full terms and conditions of the new agreement." Do not say anything else.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,638Posts Today

8,195Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin