Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • charb56
    • By charb56 7th Mar 18, 10:30 AM
    • 28Posts
    • 2Thanks
    charb56
    neighbours light fitting fallen-blaming son
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:30 AM
    neighbours light fitting fallen-blaming son 7th Mar 18 at 10:30 AM
    hope this is the right forum-my son owns a first floor flat on his own for 6 years and lives very quietly with the required carpeting on the floors
    he has been emailed by the owner downstairs who lives abroad and rents his flat out, that the chandelier-type light fitting has fallen down and that my son must have caused it. he hasn't changed his lifestyle at all and is very upset. the owner downstairs is very intimidating. the light fixture has been up for years.the block is also on a main road with a lot of vibration.
    my son emiled back copying in the managing agent saying his lifestyle and his flat haven't changed and its nothing to do with him, hes waiting to see if there's a reply but is very scared by him-any advice much appreciated thanks
Page 2
    • charb56
    • By charb56 7th Mar 18, 7:28 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    charb56
    well he has answered, and he is now blaming the tenant in his flat so presumably trying to find a scapegoat-thanks so much for all your replies!
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 7th Mar 18, 7:32 PM
    • 3,012 Posts
    • 6,049 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Karma; a wonderful thing when it bites your enemies' bums.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • baldelectrician
    • By baldelectrician 7th Mar 18, 7:35 PM
    • 2,166 Posts
    • 1,346 Thanks
    baldelectrician
    If you get another response you should point out that light fittings should be adequately secured to the building- as this fell down it was not and therefore not adequately installed and the problem of the landlord as he is liable for his fixtures and fittings.
    baldly going on...
    • mchale
    • By mchale 7th Mar 18, 7:49 PM
    • 1,707 Posts
    • 945 Thanks
    mchale
    If your son wants to crowdfund a laminate floor and big pair of boots I'll definitely chip in.
    Originally posted by shortcrust

Might not be a good idea:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/05/noisy-neighbours-must-pay-banker-100000-compensation-floors/
    ANURADHA KOIRALA ??? go on throw it in google.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 8th Mar 18, 10:47 AM
    • 10,524 Posts
    • 13,687 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Yes... Since artful mentioned it in #9. "Brace yourself, Rodney".
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    Damn, missed that - beat me to it Ta!
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 8th Mar 18, 10:56 AM
    • 3,012 Posts
    • 6,049 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Damn, missed that - beat me to it Ta!
    Originally posted by hazyjo

It only goes to show that great minds think alike, hazyjo.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 8th Mar 18, 12:05 PM
    • 1,228 Posts
    • 853 Thanks
    saajan_12
    he is worried he will have to get a lawyer in and just feels completely out of his depth on this when he has done nothing wrong
    Originally posted by charb56
    No need for a lawyer!
    1) currently there is no claim, wait until there's a claim filed through a court, or atleast a Letter Before Action

2) If anything, this would be a Small Claims issue, where no lawyers are needed. Son would simply state his position (ie 'I've done nothing differently') and respond logically to any 'evidence' the claimant presented (probably as being irrelevant)

3) The claimant needs SOME evidence to be successful, currently it's just words.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 8th Mar 18, 1:23 PM
    • 5,376 Posts
    • 7,542 Thanks
    deannatrois
    If it helps I had a cheap metal light fighting literally shatter in my hands when I was screwing in a bayonet fitting. It had three bulb fittings, and the darn thing just shattered. It was very old and cheap. I just replaced it with a standard fitting but it was in the property I was renting obviously.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 8th Mar 18, 1:27 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    Comms69
    Also tell your son to stop worrying about lawyers.

I can literally get a solicitor to write anything I like for around 100. Doesn't mean it has any legal standing. (you'll know when the letter contains phrases such as "My client claims, My client insists, My client is seeking")
    • elsien
    • By elsien 8th Mar 18, 5:14 PM
    • 16,377 Posts
    • 41,413 Thanks
    elsien
    (you'll know when the letter contains phrases such as "My client claims, My client insists, My client is seeking")
    Originally posted by Comms69
    Roughly translated as "my client is an idiot but as he won't listen to me I'll happy to keep taking his money for a while longer."
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 8th Mar 18, 5:19 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    Comms69
    Roughly translated as "my client is an idiot but as he won't listen to me I'll happy to keep taking his money for a while longer."
    Originally posted by elsien
    Pretty much exactly that.

Wording is everything
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,526Posts Today

8,137Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin