Whats the best jigsaw for novice?

Hi

I need to buy a jigsaw for cutting up firewood (old doors, skirting boards, beams etc...).

I currently have an electric chainsaw - but after borrowing a mate's jigsaw - I found it much safer, less messy, faster and less faff than using my electric chainsaw.

1) What jigsaws are considered best value for money?

2) What should I be looking for? (cordless etc...)

3) Is it best to buy online or somewhere like B&Q?

4) Anything/any makes I should avoid?

Many thanks

Comments

• Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    A jigsaw isn't really the best thing for cutting up firewood. They're designed more for fairly detailed woodworking ( the clue's in the name - why do you thing jigsaw puzzles are so called ? )

You'd be better off with a basic circular saw for cutting up doors, skirting boards, etc.

Or if you want something really cheap 'n' cheerful, a decent bowsaw would suffice. Something like this should do the trick nicely :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0001IX7TW/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_b27DrGR_c_x_w?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=940ES0NM8Z15ZBRQQEJS&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=3a63d737-abb9-5dde-83a5-7a6c790840f4&pf_rd_i=1939003031

One word of caution - I'd be very wary of burning the type of wood you describe. Odds on it will have been coated in paint, preservative, stain, all sorts of what-not to protect it. Could make for some rather "interesting" fumes when it's burnt.
  • BananaRepublic
    BananaRepublic Posts: 2,103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    If the aim is to burn the wood indoors, in a stove or an open fire, then I would avoid using painted and/or treated wood due to the toxins therein. Wood that is treated with preservative can contain toxic metals, even arsenic.

As for jigsaws, I have a basic Bosch unit, and it works well. Is it the best value? No idea. I like to buy in a real shop, making it easier to return an item if faulty. Places like B&Q can be competitive especially when they have offers. If you do buy a cordless unit, make sure the manufacturer has a decent range of tools that use the same battery. Batteries are expensive, and it makes sense to share them between tools. Sometimes places like B&Q have an offer whereby you get an extra battery 'free', or for a modest extra amount, well worth looking out for. My experience with cordless tools is that they offer convenience at the cost of power, and limited battery life before needing to recharge. A cordless drill is worthwhile, as you might be using it in odd places, but for a jigsaw I'd go for corded, not that I am any more than an amateur DIY dabbler, hence advice is to be taken with a healthy dosage of salt.
  • BananaRepublic
    BananaRepublic Posts: 2,103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Or if you want something really cheap 'n' cheerful, a decent bowsaw would suffice. Something like this should do the trick nicely :

I agree, they are good. A normal hand saw would be useful too, for fire wood you can get something with coarse teeth, the finish of the cut does not matter, and coarse teeth cut more quickly.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I agree, they are good. A normal hand saw would be useful too, for fire wood you can get something with coarse teeth, the finish of the cut does not matter, and coarse teeth cut more quickly.

Agreed. I bought one myself last year for cutting down some trees. After much umm-ing and ahh-ing about whether to get a chainsaw, I opted for the bowsaw - couldn't really justify the expense of a chainsaw for the amount I'd use it. I'm very pleased with it, it rips through fairly thick trunks and branches very easily. Like you say, for firewood the finish is irrelevant, the coarser the blade the better, really.

OP, that's another point I forgot to mention - I think with a jigsaw you'd find yourself snapping blades pretty often. Like I say, they're not really designed for heavy-duty work.

I will just reiterate the caveat about being careful what the wood has been treated with. If you're talking about a bonfire outside, it's perhaps not such an issue. But I'd be very wary of what you burn indoors, if that's what you're intending.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 7 March 2018 at 11:18AM
    To use one for cutting up firewood go for a larger motor. I'd look for a popular cheapie with a long warranty. Don't get cordless, pointless with a rough cutting jigsaw. Very important to use the right blade. Don't use cheap blades. I always use Bosch blades which stay sharp for a very long time and cut well. Buy blades designed for fast, course cutting thick timber.

A circular saw would be better for larger or thicker timbers but they are much more dangerous.
  • DavidFx
    DavidFx Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Something like this would be better - good for pruning work as well.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-erb373rsp-1100w-reciprocating-saw-240v/80388

I use a jigsaw for cutting up pallets etc. as it can be used single handed leaving the other hand to hold the piece you are cutting.
  • The Bosch JS470E 120-Volt 7.0-Amp Top-Handle Jigsaw is arguably the top functioning jigsaw out there for you to buy right now.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I have been using my Bosch jigsaw to cut up the smaller branches etc for firewood, up to say about 3in thick.
    As you say its a lot quicker and easier than a chainsaw for the small stuff.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,625 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Me, I use a circular saw to roughly cut up pallets, a cross cut mitre saw on straight(ish) bits of timber & branches. Sometimes use the electric chainsaw on pallets when the mood strikes. On large chunks of wood, chainsaw every time.

Picked up an electric chainsaw sharpening gadget from lidl earlier in the week. Had forgotten what a delight it is to have a really sharp chain. Made short work of a Eucalyptus tree, and the wind helped to bring it down just where I wanted it to land. ;)

Will split the logs sometime next summer, and they should be ready to burn winter 2020.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    FreeBear wrote: »
    . Made short work of a Eucalyptus tree, and the wind helped to bring it down just where I wanted it to land. ;)

Will split the logs sometime next summer, and they should be ready to burn winter 2020.
    A tip that was given to me by another MSEer is to split eucalyptus immediately, because it hardens up considerably as it dries.

I left a couple of bits to see if he was right. Turns out, he was!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure