Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 7th Mar 18, 7:26 AM
    • 575Posts
    • 70Thanks
    Boohoo
    How long do trousers last?????
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:26 AM
    How long do trousers last????? 7th Mar 18 at 7:26 AM
    Hello.

I bought my dad 2 pairs of trousers for Christmas from an online company and i think they have a store also.
    I ordered on 23/11/2017 and delivered 30/11/2017 and both pairs were ok.
    He has worn them ok since Christmas but last week he was ironing them and noticed the stitching had come apart in 2 places and you could put 2 maybe 3 fingers in the holes.
    I emailed the firm on Monday and the reply last night was the trousers only have a 3 month guarantee and there is nothing more they can/will do.
    I have looked that t&c's but could not find any "3 month guarantee" there.

It may only be 30 but is there anything more i/they can do?

I paid by credit card if that makes a difference.
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 7th Mar 18, 7:33 AM
    • 27,576 Posts
    • 11,162 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:33 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:33 AM
    I would be contacting the card company and asking how you go about getting a refund when the seller is being unreasonable and will not refund/replace faulty products.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 7th Mar 18, 7:57 AM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 1,371 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:57 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:57 AM
    It depends on the quality, I'd say. My work trousers are expected to last 5 years and I've had my current pair for longer than that (worn every other day).
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 7th Mar 18, 8:23 AM
    • 2,177 Posts
    • 2,961 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:23 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:23 AM
    If the stitching has come apart can you not stitch it back again? Would you want to return them if a button fell off? No you would stitch it back on.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 7th Mar 18, 9:17 AM
    • 10,957 Posts
    • 4,701 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:17 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:17 AM
    Some of my trousers are 30 + years old .
    Not cheap circa 150 rather than 30 .
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 7th Mar 18, 10:28 AM
    • 575 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Boohoo
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:28 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:28 AM
    If the stitching has come apart can you not stitch it back again? Would you want to return them if a button fell off? No you would stitch it back on.
    Originally posted by comeandgo
    Maybe he could but that's not the point but thank you for taking the time to reply.
    The trouser's are lined so to get the stitching to look the same as the original stitching you would have to undo/unpick the stiching of the lining and then resew the damaged stitching so the stitching is on the inside of the trouser's and then re-stitch the lining back to the original state.
    If you don't do that and sew the damaged parts it would look so wrong.

Here is a link to the t&c's that i could find.

https://www.chums.co.uk/Terms
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 7th Mar 18, 10:38 AM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,435 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:38 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:38 AM
    Reviews are awful.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.chums.co.uk

Tell them you are not claiming under their guarantee but under your statutory rights, and you expect trousers to last more than three months. If they are not willing to help then you should issue a letter before action, stating you'll go to small claims if they do not provide a suitable remedy.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 7th Mar 18, 10:39 AM
    • 11,614 Posts
    • 8,399 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:39 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:39 AM
    I would be contacting the card company and asking how you go about getting a refund when the seller is being unreasonable and will not refund/replace faulty products.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    And what do you think the CC company will do when the price of the trousers were only 30 per pair.
    • Greta Sharbo
    • By Greta Sharbo 7th Mar 18, 11:21 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    Greta Sharbo
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:21 AM
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:21 AM
    Thought this was going to be a joke at first.

How do you make trousers last? Make your jumper first!

I'll get my coat ... and trousers.
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 7th Mar 18, 11:28 AM
    • 575 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Boohoo
    Reviews are awful.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.chums.co.uk

Tell them you are not claiming under their guarantee but under your statutory rights, and you expect trousers to last more than three months. If they are not willing to help then you should issue a letter before action, stating you'll go to small claims if they do not provide a suitable remedy.
    Originally posted by BorisThomson
    I have sent an email to them early today before i started the thread on here.
    I said that the 3 month guarantee is not in their t&c's that i could see and i would of thought the trouser's would last longer than 12 weeks and i will wait for their reply before i decide on my next step.
    My dad has 2 different colours of these trousers and and he only wears them on Sunday when he goes out for dinner and he wears 1 pair one Sunday and the other pair the following week.
    So he has only worn them 6/7 times and only for 6 hours at a time so 36 hours or so and they start to come apart.
    He has bought other stuff from them 4/5 years ago and they are still perfect today.

Thank you all for your replies so far.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 7th Mar 18, 6:08 PM
    • 3,130 Posts
    • 3,240 Thanks
    LadyDee
    Here you go OP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbE5hXt27uU
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 7th Mar 18, 7:22 PM
    • 575 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Boohoo

Thanks for that link.

I will pass it on to Chums so they can do the job better than they have so far.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 7th Mar 18, 8:51 PM
    • 3,291 Posts
    • 2,118 Thanks
    Ectophile
    And what do you think the CC company will do when the price of the trousers were only 30 per pair.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    A chargeback.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 8th Mar 18, 11:50 AM
    • 575 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Boohoo
    Hello.

I bought my dad 2 pairs of trousers for Christmas from an online company and i think they have a store also.
    I ordered on 23/11/2017 and delivered 30/11/2017 and both pairs were ok.
    He has worn them ok since Christmas but last week he was ironing them and noticed the stitching had come apart in 2 places and you could put 2 maybe 3 fingers in the holes.
    I emailed the firm on Monday and the reply last night was the trousers only have a 3 month guarantee and there is nothing more they can/will do.
    I have looked that t&c's but could not find any "3 month guarantee" there.

It may only be 30 but is there anything more i/they can do?

I paid by credit card if that makes a difference.
    Originally posted by Boohoo

An update.

After me sending another email saying i would sent a LBA in reply to their 1st reply saying they can't/wont do anything as it's passed the 3 month guarantee period i got a reply back today from a different agent saying sorry for the reply i got yesterday and they will send out a label so i can send back the trousers for inspection and then they will see what the next cause of action will be.
    The only thing is that i don't have the original packaging that the order came in but any sealed bag should be ok?
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 8th Mar 18, 2:29 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,435 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    An update.

After me sending another email saying i would sent a LBA in reply to their 1st reply saying they can't/wont do anything as it's passed the 3 month guarantee period i got a reply back today from a different agent saying sorry for the reply i got yesterday and they will send out a label so i can send back the trousers for inspection and then they will see what the next cause of action will be.
    The only thing is that i don't have the original packaging that the order came in but any sealed bag should be ok?
    Originally posted by Boohoo
    Yes, any bag will be fine.

Take pictures of the fault before sending them.
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 10th Apr 18, 11:17 AM
    • 575 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Boohoo
    Just to update things.

I sent the faulty trousers back using collect+ and was delivered to Chums on 19/03/2018.
    After 15 days of no contact i emailed them and the following day i got a reply saying they will refund.
    I replied back asking if they read any of my emails as their QCD was going to inspect the trousers and then contact me with the outcome and then i can decide what action i wanted. I asked for a good repair, new trousers or a refund as i stated in the letter i sent to with the faulty trousers.
    The next reply was have you sent the trousers back yet as they have no got them yet.
    Another email sent and the next day i get a phone call from them and she blames everybody else for not sorting things out sooner.
    She then asks me when i sent them back and the tracking number. She confirms they got the trousers but doesn't understand what the issue is with them.
    I explain about Quailty Control Dept wanting to inspect them before Chums decide what to do and she giggles and says there is no QCD just a returns dept.
    We agree on a new pair and then she asks me for all the details about the order code,size,colour,account number and other things as she said she doesn't have them details to hand.
    The outcome is my dad now has replacement trousers but they are a different brand/make than before so i think Chums import loads of different makers clothes as my dad mentioned this issue to 2 mates and they looked at the clothes they got from Chums and 1 bloke bought 3 identical style trousers and he said they had 3 different makers tags in the 3 trousers.
    I will stay away from Chums in the future but it maybe just a one off bad pair?
    • Fluffybunny80
    • By Fluffybunny80 16th Apr 18, 8:13 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Fluffybunny80
    I would have taken the refund they offered and not questioned what their apparent QC thought and gone elsewhere!
    60 is still quite a bit of money for two pairs of trousers, especially for pensioners and I wouldn't be bothering with them again and instead purchase from a reputable store who have a generous returns policy i.e. marks and Spencer where you could pick up trousers for similar price.

All companies buy from different manufacturers that is completely normal. You'll often find you'll be different sizes in same store due to different manufacturers used.

I just hope the two new pairs last longer then their processors!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

269Posts Today

3,833Users online

Martin's Twitter