Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 6th Mar 18, 10:58 AM
    • 8,350Posts
    • 1,975Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Energy Drinks
    • 6th Mar 18, 10:58 AM
    Energy Drinks 6th Mar 18 at 10:58 AM
    The government (nanny state) is trying to prevent under 16s from drinking energy drinks
    Is this because of the caffeine or the sugar ?
    What about sugar free energy drinks - are they to be restricted as well ?
Page 1
    • Credit-Crunched
    • By Credit-Crunched 6th Mar 18, 11:02 AM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 4,132 Thanks
    Credit-Crunched
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:02 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:02 AM
    The government (nanny state) is trying to prevent under 16s from drinking energy drinks
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    Why would a child need to drink such drinks, sadly the nanny state is in play as the parents are not doing the job themselves!
    • Starrystarrynight1
    • By Starrystarrynight1 6th Mar 18, 11:11 AM
    • 201 Posts
    • 343 Thanks
    Starrystarrynight1
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:11 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:11 AM
    I think it's because of the high caffeine and stimulant contents. Saw a feature about this on telly a couple of nights ago. I'm a self confessed lover of energy drinks, though I buy the sugar free ones. I have to say, though, I don't think youngsters should really need energy drinks. I'd be happy to see them restricted to over 18s and put in the alcohol aisle.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 6th Mar 18, 11:15 AM
    • 8,350 Posts
    • 1,975 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:15 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:15 AM
    I think it's because of the high caffeine and stimulant contents. Saw a feature about this on telly a couple of nights ago. I'm a self confessed lover of energy drinks, though I buy the sugar free ones. I have to say, though, I don't think youngsters should really need energy drinks. I'd be happy to see them restricted to over 18s and put in the alcohol aisle.
    Originally posted by Starrystarrynight1
    Same here - the Sainsburys pink one is my favourite - sugar free of course
    I just wondered what the government was hoping to achieve ?
    The same question for high sugar drinks - where does the sugar tax go ?
    I'll tell you - into Tesco ... etc coffers !!!
    Last edited by 50Twuncle; 06-03-2018 at 11:19 AM.
    • Toothsmith
    • By Toothsmith 6th Mar 18, 11:20 AM
    • 8,869 Posts
    • 10,556 Thanks
    Toothsmith
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:20 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:20 AM
    If you feel 'sugar free' is any less bad for you - then you're fooling yourself.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 6th Mar 18, 11:22 AM
    • 8,350 Posts
    • 1,975 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:22 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:22 AM
    If you feel 'sugar free' is any less bad for you - then you're fooling yourself.
    Originally posted by Toothsmith
    That's MY choice - I don't need anyone telling me what I can and can't eat and drink - the start of the slippery slope is coming !
    • Credit-Crunched
    • By Credit-Crunched 6th Mar 18, 11:23 AM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 4,132 Thanks
    Credit-Crunched
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:23 AM
    Same here - the Sainsburys pink one is my favourite - sugar free of course
    I just wondered what the government was hoping to achieve ?
    The same question for high sugar drinks - where does the sugar tax go ?
    I'll tell you - into Tesco ... etc coffers !!!
    The 'tax' raised on these drinks is minute compared to the amount of money the NHS is and will spend on obesity, diabetes and heart problems. Then the issues with hyped up children in school is a whole different issue.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 6th Mar 18, 11:23 AM
    • 8,350 Posts
    • 1,975 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Originally posted by Toothsmith
    So the reason for banning energy drinks from under 16s is not sugar but caffeine ????????????
    • Credit-Crunched
    • By Credit-Crunched 6th Mar 18, 11:24 AM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 4,132 Thanks
    Credit-Crunched
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:24 AM
    • 6th Mar 18, 11:24 AM
    That's MY choice - I don't need anyone telling me what I can and can't eat and drink - the start of the slippery slope is coming !
    But people are allowed to educate and offer guidance based upon medical research.

The slippery slope, for me, is the I can do what I want and no one can tell me differently entitled generation. That is more of a concern to me than someone offering nutritional advice.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 6th Mar 18, 11:42 AM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 7,405 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    So the reason for banning energy drinks from under 16s is not sugar but caffeine ????????????
    I think the point was that if they are fizzy the damage won't be much less for the lack of sugar. Carbonated drinks are like pouring acid straight on to your teeth.

Adults of course can make as many unhealthy choices as they want, that's their decision. We're talking about children though, we try not to let them do things that are harmful to them even if they are legal for adults. Like smoking, drinking, getting a tattoo etc.
    • Toothsmith
    • By Toothsmith 6th Mar 18, 11:44 AM
    • 8,869 Posts
    • 10,556 Thanks
    Toothsmith
    If you rely on a state funded system to make you well if you get sick, then does the state have some right to at least advise what lifestyle choices you should make?
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 6th Mar 18, 10:27 PM
    • 4,428 Posts
    • 3,953 Thanks
    dekaspace
    I always remember about a year back when I saw barely after 9am a (admittedly chav looking) woman hand a baby in a pram who was just finishing off a Greggs sausage roll a FULL can of energy drink which the kid was guzzling down!

Thats a baby/toddler drinking a energy drink!!!
    • Zandy_23
    • By Zandy_23 6th Mar 18, 10:43 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Zandy_23
    Energy drinks be it non sugar should be discouraged specially to young children. From my readings it's never healthy even to adults. Dependency could cause serious medical side effects. More so, I don't see the point why children should try it being too young with full of energy.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 6th Mar 18, 11:26 PM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 7,405 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    I always remember about a year back when I saw barely after 9am a (admittedly chav looking) woman hand a baby in a pram who was just finishing off a Greggs sausage roll a FULL can of energy drink which the kid was guzzling down!

Thats a baby/toddler drinking a energy drink!!!
    Originally posted by dekaspace
    A baby young enough to be in a pram holding its own can of red bull? Ok then, whatever you say.
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 7th Mar 18, 6:33 AM
    • 8,350 Posts
    • 1,975 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    A baby young enough to be in a pram holding its own can of red bull? Ok then, whatever you say.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Perhaps it had a rubber teat stretched over the can ?
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 7th Mar 18, 8:28 AM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 7,405 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Perhaps it had a rubber teat stretched over the can ?
    You never know!
    • vacheron
    • By vacheron 7th Mar 18, 9:19 AM
    • 831 Posts
    • 764 Thanks
    vacheron
    When I was at uni in the early 90's, sports / energy drinks were used for just that, they were available in sports stores and a limited selection in larger supermarkets etc. (and corner shops in the heavily populated student areas).

You would see people using them generally around exam time when people would be staying up all night to revise and "extreme measures" were necessary. The likes of Red Bull etc. were only sold in 250ml cans and I can't ever recall seeing anyone under the age of 16 drinking a can, possibly because the marketing wasn't targeting them, or the product placement / presence wasn't as high?

Now however you see people sitting on buses and benches in town centers, barely moving a muscle and knocking back these huge 500ml cans and bottles containing about 15 teaspoons of sugar like water after no more physical or mental exertion than managing to put on their clothes in the morning.

To some they have become an easy alternative to eating something nutricious which is the usual way to restore energy.

The Mike Judge movie "Idiocracy" gives a very amusing if dystopian view of how such a reliance could develop!
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 10th Mar 18, 5:46 PM
    • 4,428 Posts
    • 3,953 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Yep with both hands,and woman put it on childs lap. are you trying to imply I am lying if so thats rude.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 10th Mar 18, 5:57 PM
    • 6,250 Posts
    • 6,707 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    The supermarkets appear to be defining an 'energy drink' by the level of caffeine in it - the amount of sugar is immaterial
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/mar/05/uk-supermarkets-ban-sales-energy-drinks-under-16s
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 10th Mar 18, 6:04 PM
    • 31,901 Posts
    • 20,086 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Energy drinks aren't something those under 16 should be drinking, I think the age limit is too low, should be 21.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,269Posts Today

8,416Users online

Martin's Twitter