Energy Drinks

The government (nanny state) is trying to prevent under 16s from drinking energy drinks
Is this because of the caffeine or the sugar ?
What about sugar free energy drinks - are they to be restricted as well ?

Comments

• 50Twuncle wrote: »
    The government (nanny state) is trying to prevent under 16s from drinking energy drinks
    Is this because of the caffeine or the sugar ?
    What about sugar free energy drinks - are they to be restricted as well ?

Why would a child need to drink such drinks, sadly the nanny state is in play as the parents are not doing the job themselves!
  • I think it's because of the high caffeine and stimulant contents. Saw a feature about this on telly a couple of nights ago. I'm a self confessed lover of energy drinks, though I buy the sugar free ones. I have to say, though, I don't think youngsters should really need energy drinks. I'd be happy to see them restricted to over 18s and put in the alcohol aisle.

I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 March 2018 at 12:19PM
    I think it's because of the high caffeine and stimulant contents. Saw a feature about this on telly a couple of nights ago. I'm a self confessed lover of energy drinks, though I buy the sugar free ones. I have to say, though, I don't think youngsters should really need energy drinks. I'd be happy to see them restricted to over 18s and put in the alcohol aisle.

Same here - the Sainsburys pink one is my favourite - sugar free of course
    I just wondered what the government was hoping to achieve ?
    The same question for high sugar drinks - where does the sugar tax go ?
    I'll tell you - into Tesco ... etc coffers !!!
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    If you feel 'sugar free' is any less bad for you - then you're fooling yourself.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • 50Twuncle
    Toothsmith wrote: »
    If you feel 'sugar free' is any less bad for you - then you're fooling yourself.
    That's MY choice - I don't need anyone telling me what I can and can't eat and drink - the start of the slippery slope is coming !
    Same here - the Sainsburys pink one is my favourite - sugar free of course
    I just wondered what the government was hoping to achieve ?
    The same question for high sugar drinks - where does the sugar tax go ?
    I'll tell you - into Tesco ... etc coffers !!!

The 'tax' raised on these drinks is minute compared to the amount of money the NHS is and will spend on obesity, diabetes and heart problems. Then the issues with hyped up children in school is a whole different issue.
  • 50Twuncle
    Toothsmith wrote: »
    So the reason for banning energy drinks from under 16s is not sugar but caffeine ????????????
    That's MY choice - I don't need anyone telling me what I can and can't eat and drink - the start of the slippery slope is coming !

But people are allowed to educate and offer guidance based upon medical research.

The slippery slope, for me, is the I can do what I want and no one can tell me differently entitled generation. That is more of a concern to me than someone offering nutritional advice.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    So the reason for banning energy drinks from under 16s is not sugar but caffeine ????????????

I think the point was that if they are fizzy the damage won't be much less for the lack of sugar. Carbonated drinks are like pouring acid straight on to your teeth.

Adults of course can make as many unhealthy choices as they want, that's their decision. We're talking about children though, we try not to let them do things that are harmful to them even if they are legal for adults. Like smoking, drinking, getting a tattoo etc.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    If you rely on a state funded system to make you well if you get sick, then does the state have some right to at least advise what lifestyle choices you should make?
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure