Energy Drinks

Options
2»

Comments

• dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I always remember about a year back when I saw barely after 9am a (admittedly chav looking) woman hand a baby in a pram who was just finishing off a Greggs sausage roll a FULL can of energy drink which the kid was guzzling down!

Thats a baby/toddler drinking a energy drink!!!
  • Zandy_23
    Zandy_23 Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    Energy drinks be it non sugar should be discouraged specially to young children. From my readings it's never healthy even to adults. Dependency could cause serious medical side effects. More so, I don't see the point why children should try it being too young with full of energy.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »
    I always remember about a year back when I saw barely after 9am a (admittedly chav looking) woman hand a baby in a pram who was just finishing off a Greggs sausage roll a FULL can of energy drink which the kid was guzzling down!

Thats a baby/toddler drinking a energy drink!!!

A baby young enough to be in a pram holding its own can of red bull? Ok then, whatever you say.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A baby young enough to be in a pram holding its own can of red bull? Ok then, whatever you say.
    Perhaps it had a rubber teat stretched over the can ?
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Perhaps it had a rubber teat stretched over the can ?

You never know! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    When I was at uni in the early 90's, sports / energy drinks were used for just that, they were available in sports stores and a limited selection in larger supermarkets etc. (and corner shops in the heavily populated student areas).

You would see people using them generally around exam time when people would be staying up all night to revise and "extreme measures" were necessary. The likes of Red Bull etc. were only sold in 250ml cans and I can't ever recall seeing anyone under the age of 16 drinking a can, possibly because the marketing wasn't targeting them, or the product placement / presence wasn't as high?

Now however you see people sitting on buses and benches in town centers, barely moving a muscle and knocking back these huge 500ml cans and bottles containing about 15 teaspoons of sugar like water after no more physical or mental exertion than managing to put on their clothes in the morning.

To some they have become an easy alternative to eating something nutricious which is the usual way to restore energy.

The Mike Judge movie "Idiocracy" gives a very amusing if dystopian view of how such a reliance could develop!
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

Yep with both hands,and woman put it on childs lap. are you trying to imply I am lying if so thats rude.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,871 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    The government (nanny state) is trying to prevent under 16s from drinking energy drinks
    Is this because of the caffeine or the sugar ?
    What about sugar free energy drinks - are they to be restricted as well ?

The supermarkets appear to be defining an 'energy drink' by the level of caffeine in it - the amount of sugar is immaterial
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/mar/05/uk-supermarkets-ban-sales-energy-drinks-under-16s
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Energy drinks aren't something those under 16 should be drinking, I think the age limit is too low, should be 21.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure