Seller message about shipment process failure

Options
Bought and paid for an item on 2nd March the item had been despatched with delivery due today.

Just received this message.

"We would like to inform you that unfortunately the shipment process of your order has failed. Our supplier contacted us and they told us that the item was lost by the courier during transit.

We are unable to send a replacement because they are completely sold out. We do not have an estimated time on when it will be back in stock. Please understand that we have no control over the situation.

Please let us know if you would like us to cancel and refund your order or you would wait for the item to be available.

We understand that you are disappointed and we really apologise for the inconvenience that this creates you. We also humbly request you to not leave us a negative feedback as it will negatively affect our small home business.

Thank you for your kind understanding.

Best Regards"

Not quite sure what to do - if I wait until stock comes in could I end up with no item and no refund? In all the years of buying I have never been given an option to wait plus I smell a rat as would the delivery company actually say they have lost it! They are also still showing one for sale on Ebay and have upped the price by about £6.

Comments

• ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't tell for sure but it sounds like a message a drop shipper (e.g. someone that will process your order by buying it off Amazon for you to fulfil an eBay order) will send, when the actual stockist is unexpectedly out of stock.

In your case, reading your last sentence, it sounds like the other supplier put the price up.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 March 2018 at 1:03PM
    Options
    I would get a refund so at least you have your money back. You don't want to be told later your money is lost because it is too late for a refund. Then if you want to buy again its up to you.

You should try and find who they are drop shipping from. I used to buy an item from someone on Ebay for what I thought was a decent price. Then after a bit of detective work found they were a drop shipper. Went direct to the original seller and saved myself even more.
  • ballisticbrian
    Options
    Either way, they're got it coming to them. See how a drop shipper won't take a financial hit at all for the customer. And when the customer injures themselves on the item or it burns their house down plugged into the wall over night, the drop shipper shrugs their shoulders as they don't have the relevant insurance for all the different product types they sell. Last time I mentioned this, google caches this site so quickly that all the drop shippers came over to try and attack me.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • BargainJunky
    BargainJunky Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks both for your advice I am going to ask for a refund. Seller still has one still listed and sold another last night at the same price I paid. I have had a little look at the feedback they do have 100% but there are a few neutrals about items supplied from Asda with the Asda receipt in the box - buyer paid double the 'Asda price' so as you can imagine they were not happy.

It was supposed to be sent parcelforce but no tracking has been loaded so I cannot even check if the 'story' about getting lost is true.

I think I have found where they get it from as its the same price as they were originally selling it for so will buy from there instead.

Thanks again.
  • ballisticbrian
    Options
    BargainJunky, out of interest, go to that new supplier you've decided to buy from, click on xxx no. sold (just nest to where you select the quantity), in there you see the history of items sold and for what price. That supplier may have just put their price up which forced the drop shipper to do so.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks both for your advice I am going to ask for a refund. Seller still has one still listed and sold another last night at the same price I paid. I have had a little look at the feedback they do have 100% but there are a few neutrals about items supplied from Asda with the Asda receipt in the box - buyer paid double the 'Asda price' so as you can imagine they were not happy.

It was supposed to be sent parcelforce but no tracking has been loaded so I cannot even check if the 'story' about getting lost is true.

I think I have found where they get it from as its the same price as they were originally selling it for so will buy from there instead.

Thanks again.

If you want to give the seller a headache rather than the easy option, then file an INR rather than agree to a cancellation.
  • BargainJunky
    BargainJunky Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not quite sure what the seller has done but the order has disappeared from my purchase history and is now showing in cancelled items with the status as cancellation pending. They have refunded me from paypal as they say Ebay has a technical bug.

The money is back in my paypal account but I'm not sure what happens to the pending cancellation. What makes me cross is the item I bought is still showing with one available to buy at about £7 more than I paid.

I can still leave feedback but as they are a powerseller I cannot leave negative or neutral feedback for 7 days. If the option is still there after 7 days I may leave my first ever negative or neutral.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not quite sure what the seller has done but the order has disappeared from my purchase history and is now showing in cancelled items with the status as cancellation pending. They have refunded me from paypal as they say Ebay has a technical bug.

The money is back in my paypal account but I'm not sure what happens to the pending cancellation. What makes me cross is the item I bought is still showing with one available to buy at about £7 more than I paid.

I can still leave feedback but as they are a powerseller I cannot leave negative or neutral feedback for 7 days. If the option is still there after 7 days I may leave my first ever negative or neutral.

The seller is pulling a fast one and trying to cancel without a defect.

I wouldn't bother agreeing the cancellation, if you can you can try to deny it. Sellers like this should not be getting away with this kind of shoddy selling.

Be careful how you word your feedback.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The seller is pulling a fast one and trying to cancel without a defect.

I wouldn't bother agreeing the cancellation, if you can you can try to deny it. Sellers like this should not be getting away with this kind of shoddy selling.

Be careful how you word your feedback.

I agree, this is a drop shipper that's been caught out and doesn't want to admit it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • gemstars
    gemstars Posts: 515 Forumite
    Options
    If they are currently still selling the same item you bought, but claiming they also have none in stock why not just reply querying why this is and that you will have no alternative but to leave bad feedback if they do not honour your purchase with the stock they have?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure