Switching to two car household

Options
My partner and I currently share a car, me as main driver and her as named driver. We have 9 years no claims discount. I am buying a second car this week, so one would be hers and one would be mine (though we would still both use either car on occasion as one is a city car and the other a better motorway cruiser)

What is the best way to do this? We have 6 months left on our policy and direct line have told me I can!!!8217;t take my no claims bonus to a different insurer while still insured by them, but I can take a second policy with them and get a multi car discount. Won!!!8217;t that leave me trapped with two policies that renew six months apart and I can!!!8217;t leave one without leaving the other?

What is the best approach to take?

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    You would have 2 separate ncd for the 2 cars, and you could move at renewal to a new insurer if you were to go to a multicar policy

(They are saying you will get a discount for adding a car to your policy - that is normal with multicar policies and doesn't mean they are giving you any "NCD" on the new car - it has to earn its own)

Check out the market anyway before adding it to your DL policy.

It may be cost effective to have two separate policies (eg you would get 2 lots of cashback were you to use a cashback site)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure