HSBC Secure Key Card

Options
Hello,

My secure key card expired so ordered a new one last Tuesday.
Nothing turned up yet.

I was wondering how long have other HSBC account holders had to wait for theirs.

I am annoyed this bank uses such an obsolete system. They had to cancel my old key apparently before a new one could be issued.

Thanks

Comments

• Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I picked one up from a branch.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Mine took 3 or 4 days I think earlier this year. But you'll probably have to make allowance for the weather this last week.
  • Grumpygit
    Grumpygit Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    Why not download the app for mobile banking - part of it is the number generator for you to log in on a pc rather than the app.

It also has the transaction authoriser if you want to make a payment to someone.

I don't think much of the banking app itself, handy in a basic sense but there are better banking apps but at least you get rid of the card.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Grumpygit wrote: »
    Why not download the app for mobile banking - part of it is the number generator for you to log in on a pc rather than the app.

It also has the transaction authoriser if you want to make a payment to someone.

I don't think much of the banking app itself, handy in a basic sense but there are better banking apps but at least you get rid of the card.

You need the secure key to do the changeover to use the app to authorise payments, changing phone and reinstalling the app demands the secure key again (iirc).

Stupid system, it's why I gave up using my HSBC account,
    ====
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    Do you know how often they 'expire'. Is there any warning to give you time to order a new one or do they suddenly just stop working?
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 March 2018 at 9:14AM
    Options
    From: https://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/contact-and-support/security-centre/secure-key/demos#physical-secure-key
    Q. How long does the battery last?
    Your physical Secure Key's battery should last five years under average use. The device will warn you when the battery is low. At that point, please contact us and we will send you a replacement. This will avoid you losing any access to our service.

Q. How long will it take for a replacement Secure Key to arrive?
    If you have requested a physical Secure Key, please allow 5-7 days to receive this in the post. If you have not received your physical Secure Key after 7 days you can call Customer Services who will arrange for a replacement physical Secure Key to be sent to you.

One can of course use most elements of internet banking without a Secure Key - its only needed for setting up new payees etc. which can also be done on the telephone
  • clivep
    clivep Posts: 577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    gt94sss2 wrote: »
    From: https://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/contact-and-support/security-centre/secure-key/demos#physical-secure-key

One can of course use most elements of internet banking without a Secure Key - its only needed for setting up new payees etc. which can also be done on the telephone

Doesn't quite work that way though.

I was waiting several weeks for a working activation code for the Secure Key (the activation code generator wouldn't work for me and also they were unable to send me a code by text or email).

I set up a new payee with them over the phone and got them to do a £1 transfer. I then tried to do a small transfer to this payee online but it demanded the Secure Key.

I check with them and apparently this is how it works... the "limited access" says you'll need the Secure Key when paying for the first time. A payment instruction over the phone does not count as this first time payment for the purposes of no longer needing the Secure Key. It would be more accurate for this to read "A higher level of security will be required for some Online Banking services, such as making the first online payment to a new payee".
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    OK, so they don't expire in that they have a hard coded expiry date - it is just that the internal battery runs down. That makes more sense.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    You need the secure key to do the changeover to use the app to authorise payments, changing phone and reinstalling the app demands the secure key again (iirc).

Stupid system, it's why I gave up using my HSBC account,

That's incorrect.

Once you use the app, you do not need the secure key. I haven't had a secure key for about 2-3 years now. Changed phone twice and never had any problems transferring.

Adding new payees is done via the app.

Logging online desktop is done via the app.
  • MarcoM
    MarcoM Posts: 798 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    there is a 25 day deadline for a key to be activated by customer once it has supposedly been sent out. after that period all internet access is withdrawn.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure