Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scrounger
    • By scrounger 5th Mar 18, 6:22 PM
    • 200Posts
    • 95Thanks
    scrounger
    0 WOW
    Hotel not booked
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:22 PM
    0 WOW
    Hotel not booked 5th Mar 18 at 6:22 PM
    We`re due to go on holiday to Canada in June. Our holiday has been booked since about March last year. There are four of us travelling and obviously were looking forward to it. I say were because the travel agency rang us today to say they hadn't booked the hotels we wanted.
    Now we are really fed up as the alternatives they have offered us are no match to the original ones. They say we can have our money back but that to us is no consolation. Prices to go anywhere near where we wanted to stay have shot up so we cant chuck any more money at it. Have any of you had a similar experience and if so how did you resolve it?.
Page 1
    • elsien
    • By elsien 5th Mar 18, 6:25 PM
    • 16,373 Posts
    • 41,380 Thanks
    elsien
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:25 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:25 PM
    What reason have they given for not booking the hotels you requested? Was it not on the booking confirmation?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 5th Mar 18, 6:29 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    stevie11
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:29 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:29 PM
    So when you booked did you receive confirmation of your flights and hotels plus was it a package or booked separately? With only 3 moths to go I can understand you being disappointed. Obviously you don't want your money back.
    • scrounger
    • By scrounger 5th Mar 18, 6:39 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    scrounger
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:39 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 6:39 PM
    The reason we were given was that they didn't confirm the rooms with the hotels. We`ve had our itinerary and confirmation since May last year. It was a walking holiday with car to travel around the areas. We were due to pay the balance and it wasn't until we mailed them to say we were going in to pay it that they rang us to tell us. They claim to have known for three weeks and had been trying to find us alternative accommodation. They didn't ring to tell us earlier because they didn't want to upset us. It is a local independent travel agency.
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 5th Mar 18, 7:03 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    stevie11
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:03 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:03 PM
    From what you say it appears to be their mistake. Can you suggest as a gesture of good will that they make up the difference.
    • scrounger
    • By scrounger 5th Mar 18, 7:08 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    scrounger
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:08 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:08 PM
    Ha we`ve tried that but they had tried to find other rooms but there isn't anything. We`re just so cheesed off its us having to trawl the internet to find an alternative to get things rectified.
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 5th Mar 18, 7:22 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    stevie11
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:22 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:22 PM
    I though that is what a good travel agent would have done for you in the first place . Sorry.

Are you happy with the flights and car rental deal you got from them?

Maybe some of the regular posters who have insight to the travel agency trade can advise further. Good luck
    • scrounger
    • By scrounger 5th Mar 18, 7:30 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    scrounger
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:30 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 7:30 PM
    Thank you for replying. I haven't given up yet its just so frustrating.
    • John259
    • By John259 5th Mar 18, 8:02 PM
    • 1,033 Posts
    • 628 Thanks
    John259
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:02 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:02 PM
    Dunno if this will help or not, but FWIW do you know you can search for motels with Google Maps, for example:

motels near golden bc
    https://goo.gl/maps/PDUoqUUYTZz

Or for a specific chain:

super 8 near pincher creek ab
    https://goo.gl/maps/9Fb9spX1jps
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
    • scrounger
    • By scrounger 5th Mar 18, 8:09 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    scrounger
    Cheers I`ll check that out.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 5th Mar 18, 9:53 PM
    • 1,333 Posts
    • 992 Thanks
    Westin
    Which hotel and what dates did you need the accommodation for?

If you can find the hotel available elsewhere (or someone on these forums can) even if at a higher price, I would present that to the travel agent and push them to booking and confirming it for you. If more expensive then they should be covering the cost.
    • scrounger
    • By scrounger 5th Mar 18, 10:01 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    scrounger
    Thanks, yes I`m concocting an email to them now I will tell you the outcome.
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 6th Mar 18, 10:16 AM
    • 3,048 Posts
    • 1,533 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    A travel agent who confirms hotels but forgets to book any of them is in clear breach of contract. You are entitled to be put in the position you would have been if the contract had not been broken, and if the accommodation is no longer available and alternative accommodation costs more, it is up to the agent to sort it out. As others have said, that is why you use an agent! Most good agents will have insurance to cover the costs of mistakes by staff, so don't feel bad if the alternative accommodation costs a good deal more.

I have always found accommodation in Canada to be of a good standard, better in most cases than the equivalent in the US but it depends where you are looking for accommodation, in most cities it is readily available, in the middle of nowhere it may be less so, apart from Toronto and Vancouver, I always took a risk and found somewhere to stay on a day to day basis and never regretted it but with a group of friends or family, I can understand your desire to gets things sorted out in advance. Don't take 'no' for an answer!
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 7th Mar 18, 12:29 AM
    • 2,896 Posts
    • 2,889 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    Check trivago and air b n b
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 st 7lbs then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs *61lbs lost* *30lbs to go*
    1st started SW16st13lbs tues11/7/17 - 38 weeks -53lbs
    2nd -> target 11 st 7lbs
    2) to find new challenges
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 7th Mar 18, 3:32 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 623 Thanks
    Archergirl
    I would be very upset as well, what is the point of booking through an agent then, you could have done better yourself. Hope you get it sorted.
    • scrounger
    • By scrounger 7th Mar 18, 4:22 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    scrounger
    Thanks folks its sorted. I stuck by my guns and managed to get them to pay any difference. I had to search round and find hotels myself though that irked me somewhat. But in the end I manage to find other dearer hotels and they paid for them. So I guess the rule is to keep on at them and hopefully they will agree to most of what you're after!.
    • koalakoala
    • By koalakoala 8th Mar 18, 8:00 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    koalakoala
    They don't really have an option
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 8th Mar 18, 8:57 AM
    • 8,320 Posts
    • 10,638 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    They don't really have an option
    Originally posted by koalakoala
    Many customers would give up long before getting them to court.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

903Posts Today

7,125Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin