Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cameron1590
    • By Cameron1590 5th Mar 18, 12:44 PM
    • 114Posts
    • 18Thanks
    Cameron1590
    Excess insurance
    • 5th Mar 18, 12:44 PM
    Excess insurance 5th Mar 18 at 12:44 PM
    Hello,

I have recently taken out a car insurance policy. I miss read the small print and have found out I have a voluntary excess of 250 and compulsory of 400. Total 650.

Someone mentioned to me that you can pay a small fee for insurance cover on your excess. Never heard about this however googling does bring a few companies up, non of them look very professional however.

Anyone used any such company before? If so, who are they?

Thanks
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 5th Mar 18, 2:35 PM
    • 26,924 Posts
    • 10,832 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:35 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:35 PM
    Done forget that a claim of 649 will be down to you. No payout.

Cancel the policy and get on with a lower excess.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 5th Mar 18, 2:43 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:43 PM
    • 5th Mar 18, 2:43 PM
    Done forget that a claim of 649 will be down to you. No payout.

Cancel the policy and get on with a lower excess.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    To make that point clear, the excess insurers aren't really insuring your excess, they are covering two different events:

1) If you have a no fault accident, they will do the paperwork to get your excess from the other party - which is often given without fuss anyhow.

2) In the event you have a big accident for which you are at least in part to blame and do damage above your excess, they will pay out.

For small knocks, (not that 650 is small), you get nothing.

You could ring up your insurers and get a quote for reducing your excess. Worth asking - no doubt you didn't realise that there was a compulsory excess in addition to the voluntary excess.

https://www.questor-insurance.co.uk/private-excess-protection-insurance.aspx

Is an example. I've used them for foreign excess hire cover but as I've not claimed all I can review is their efficiency of accepting my premium!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,083Posts Today

5,801Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin