Excess insurance

Options
Hello,

I have recently taken out a car insurance policy. I miss read the small print and have found out I have a voluntary excess of £250 and compulsory of £400. Total £650.

Someone mentioned to me that you can pay a small fee for insurance cover on your excess. Never heard about this however googling does bring a few companies up, non of them look very professional however.

Anyone used any such company before? If so, who are they?

Thanks

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Done forget that a claim of £649 will be down to you. No payout.

Cancel the policy and get on with a lower excess.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Done forget that a claim of £649 will be down to you. No payout.

Cancel the policy and get on with a lower excess.
    To make that point clear, the excess insurers aren't really insuring your excess, they are covering two different events:

1) If you have a no fault accident, they will do the paperwork to get your excess from the other party - which is often given without fuss anyhow.

2) In the event you have a big accident for which you are at least in part to blame and do damage above your excess, they will pay out.

For small knocks, (not that £650 is small), you get nothing.

You could ring up your insurers and get a quote for reducing your excess. Worth asking - no doubt you didn't realise that there was a compulsory excess in addition to the voluntary excess.

https://www.questor-insurance.co.uk/private-excess-protection-insurance.aspx

Is an example. I've used them for foreign excess hire cover but as I've not claimed all I can review is their efficiency of accepting my premium!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure