Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • scottishblondie
    • By scottishblondie 5th Mar 18, 8:21 AM
    • 2,004Posts
    • 1,295Thanks
    Considering an extension - have some questions
    • #1
    • 5th Mar 18, 8:21 AM
    Considering an extension - have some questions 5th Mar 18 at 8:21 AM
    We're considering building an extension on our house to make a dining/living room area. The house is a timber framed 3 storey mid-terrace townhouse with a brick skin. I would like the extension to be the full width of the house, which is a little over 5.5 metres, and project 3 (or slightly more) metres out, and also using timber frame construction. Ideally it would have doors (sliding or bifold) across most of the width, and the internal ceiling would be open to the roof with roof lights. I'm trying to figure out how certain things would work, as I'd like to know what is possible before getting too carried away with ideas or wasting anyone's time!

    The back of the house on the ground floor is a kitchen diner, with french doors off of the dining area and a window in the kitchen area. We would not be planning to reconfigure the kitchen so would not need to make any structural changes to the back of the house. I was thinking we would remove the french doors, and leave the window in place. However, if we did want to be able to open it up in the future would it be possible to retrofit the necessary support or is this something we should look at putting in place when building any extension? Is it even possible to open up a 3 storey house right across the back or would a central support always be required?

    The boiler (conventional not combi, if it makes a difference) is sited on the external wall in between the french doors and the window. 3 fan vents are also on this wall - extractors for the kitchen, utility room and WC. Can these vents and the boiler flue be redirected up and out through the roof of a new extension?

    There is an external tap that is fed from beneath the kitchen sink under the window. I'm assuming that a new tap could be sited on the external wall of an extension and connected to the water supply easily enough?

    There is a down pipe for the guttering on one side of the house, which is connected to guttering both on our house and the neighbouring house. Would this pipe (and the drain it flows in to) prevent us from building as close to the boundary as would otherwise be possible, or is there some standard way to deal with this sort of issue?

    Finally, the piece of string question. Any rough figures on how much this might cost in central Scotland? We would need basic electrics and heating plus dealing with the issues I've already asked about, but other than that just an empty space. I'm anticipating that a lot of the cost could depend on the type of doors we would want, as I believe bifolds etc. are rather pricey.

    Sorry if these are silly questions or impossible to answer - we've never had any major building work done and my parents haven't had any done in a very long time or in similar circumstances. I'm happy to provide more information.

    Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • scottishblondie
    • By scottishblondie 6th Mar 18, 2:35 PM
    • 2,004 Posts
    • 1,295 Thanks
    • #2
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:35 PM
    • #2
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:35 PM
    Anyone able to offer advice?
    • phill99
    • By phill99 6th Mar 18, 2:47 PM
    • 8,097 Posts
    • 7,320 Thanks
    • #3
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:47 PM
    • #3
    • 6th Mar 18, 2:47 PM
    Realistically you will need to get someone out. Its not really possible for someone on then other end of a pc to give you advice as there are too many variables.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • Newuser1987
    • By Newuser1987 6th Mar 18, 3:17 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    • #4
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:17 PM
    • #4
    • 6th Mar 18, 3:17 PM
    Why not find a local architect and get them out to take a look. Most architects offer a free initial consultation. Search the ARB register to find a local architect to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

617Posts Today

5,820Users online

Martin's Twitter