IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

PCN Notice from Premier Park

Options
Hello I'm new to this and have looked at other thread but haven't seen one like mine yet. (sorry if I'm wrong)
My son has received a PCN for parking outside a gym he was signing up to use at 19:30 at night. The gym is xercise4less. The car park is free to use if you enter your registration plate number in after entering the gym. This wasn't mentioned to my son or his three colleagues as they signed up and obviously at that time of night the signs cant be seen well. ( The signs are not big enough anyway and refer to another sign when in the car park, not positioned well etc I only know this because I have since been down )
I have sent an appeal with pictures of the car park, an email of my sons confirmation of gym membership to show the time line and date match and an edited letter from Martins money site hoping it would be the last I heard of this.. However on Friday had a reply from premier park saying they wanted details of who was driving or the registered keeper had to pay. Also referring me to look at legislation/2012/9/schedule/4 which I don't really understand. Telling me I now have while the 13th March to I assume pay up.
I feel let down by the parking company and exercise4less Sheffield as after explaining my problem several time just say they are sorry and they cant do anything as its managed by an outside source, this I find hard to believe and if their staff had acted properly in the first place my son wont be having this problem! On low incomes to start joining the gym was a luxury which may come to an abrupt end.
Any advise would be appreciated.
Jo

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 5 March 2018 at 11:39PM
    Options
    Everyone is politely asked to read up on this in the Newbies FAQ thread near the top of the forum before starting a new thread.

Go there now to learn about the game you are now caught up in and to see how it progresses

Throughout here you are advised never to reveal who was driving

You need to edit your post to remove details of who was driving

If you have inadvertently used your real name as your forum name then you do need to get MSE to change it to something truly anonymous.

The ppcs monitor this forum and can use your posts against you
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,717 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    However on Friday had a reply from premier park saying they wanted details of who was driving or the registered keeper had to pay.
    Ignore that letter, they always then follow it the same month, with your POPLA code. However you will need good photos of the signs IN THE DARK, because PP often win at POPLA.
    I feel let down by the parking company and exercise4less Sheffield as after explaining my problem several time just say they are sorry and they cant do anything as its managed by an outside source,
    Exercise4less should be called Exerciseformore!

They CAN cancel this because someone has contract Premier Park. It's either the gym or the overall site landowner, and the gym CAN sort this or tell you who to contact.

Escalate the complaint, while you wait for a POPLA code, and get some photos of signs in the dark (no flash) and pictures at the door and inside the gym reception, showing that there are NO prominent signs inside, nor lit signs outside, that a newcomer to the gym could have seen at night in winter.

No parking contract, then.

Might I also suggest: NO GYM CONTRACT EITHER!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences.

Parking Eye, Smart and a smaller company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (who take hundreds of these cases to court, and nearly always lose), who have also been reported to the regulatory authority.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind most of these companies may well be put out of business by Christmas
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,036 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Personally I would be straight down to the gym who can cancel this their muppet contractor has a terminal in their building, of course they can do something about it.

It seems like it was the gym's fault for not spelling out the parking T&C's Is this the way they treat new customers?

I'm sure there is a cooling off period for the gym membership during which they can opt out, and four new members would be a lot to loose.

These businesses sometimes have a cancellation fee that they have to pay the parking company of around £10 per charge cancelled, or a limit per month on cancellations that's more likely why you are being fobbed off!
  • jotrower
    Options
    I get that the gym or any business can not have everyone using their car park for free. However if can prove you are using the car park legitimately then there has to be a way out! He was joining the gym! How can these people live with their selves.
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,036 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 March 2018 at 11:10AM
    Options
    jotrower wrote: »
    I get that the gym or any business can not have everyone using their car park for free. However if can prove you are using the car park legitimately then there has to be a way out! He was joining the gym! How can these people live with their selves.

Quite simple, greed!

And to feed their greed, they lie, falsify photo evidence, target hospitals, target the elderly and the disabled, ignore mitigation, use no win no fee debt collection bullies, etc etc.

Have a read:

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/
  • NBy
    NBy Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I have just appealed to POPLA for the Guernsey Road Xercise4Less and Premier Park didn't contest the appeal so it was upheld. l submitted the standard letter as registered keeper from the newbie thread with photos of the car park and lack of signs- particularly the entrance as the sign isn't visible from the drivers seat if the driver turns left into it at the entrance near Bensons.
    I also wrote to the freeholder Bramall & Ogden Ltd to see if they would put pressure on Xercise4Less and to Trading standards about the fee they are trying to charge on credit card payments.
    I don't really know what worked but I'm glad I didn't give in although I thought about it.
    Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport