Refused CCTV footage of myself.

I own a bar and the lady who rents out the flats opposite us have conveniently put up 2 cameras which point directly into my door. I had the police come around to check but she has since said it's for her own property protection.

I know she watches it religiously, she has access from her home3 miles away. She has reported us for noise a few times, but as she lives 3 miles away we are still baffled. Her residents come to our bar and we are always careful with noise making sure someone is outside keeping noise levels to a minimum. She has previously avoided any meetings made between us and the police.

We had our first incident in 4 years, someone got into the verbal in the door and ended up getting knocked out at the front door. I was stood right next to the person who threw the punch. We have been given a name but cannot 100% prove who it was as I tended to the guy knocked out and the person who threw the punch ran away.

I formally requested footage of myself at the door giving a description of myself and the times I wanted. I enclosed 10 pounds. 2 weeks later I have received a letter saying basically "the police aren't pressing charges so you don't need the footage". I didn't even mention the incident in my request for footage.

I am the chairman for our local pubwatch and therefore an incident in my bar needs to be dealt with appropriately. However I'm not asking for footage of the incident I just want the footage of myself. I'll even be ok if they blurred the faces out.

As far as I'm aware she has a legal obligation to give me footage of myself as requested within 40 days. I'm unsure where to go from here?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Skivey
    Skivey Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    She also has no signs up or an address where we can obtain footage. I have my letter to one of her residents who passed it on
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    It!!!8217;s not a consumer issue, why do you want the it?
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Skivey wrote: »
    I own a bar and the lady who rents out the flats opposite us have conveniently put up 2 cameras which point directly into my door. I had the police come around to check but she has since said it's for her own property protection.

I know she watches it religiously, she has access from her home3 miles away. She has reported us for noise a few times, but as she lives 3 miles away we are still baffled. Her residents come to our bar and we are always careful with noise making sure someone is outside keeping noise levels to a minimum. She has previously avoided any meetings made between us and the police.

We had our first incident in 4 years, someone got into the verbal in the door and ended up getting knocked out at the front door. I was stood right next to the person who threw the punch. We have been given a name but cannot 100% prove who it was as I tended to the guy knocked out and the person who threw the punch ran away.

I formally requested footage of myself at the door giving a description of myself and the times I wanted. I enclosed 10 pounds. 2 weeks later I have received a letter saying basically "the police aren't pressing charges so you don't need the footage". I didn't even mention the incident in my request for footage.

I am the chairman for our local pubwatch and therefore an incident in my bar needs to be dealt with appropriately. However I'm not asking for footage of the incident I just want the footage of myself. I'll even be ok if they blurred the faces out.

As far as I'm aware she has a legal obligation to give me footage of myself as requested within 40 days. I'm unsure where to go from here?

Any ideas?

Installing your own cameras would appear to be a good idea.

How do you know that her cameras cover your premises?
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite

Maybe there's something I'm missing, but why do you want footage of yourself but not of the incident? AND have the faces of everyone else blurred out?

Wouldn't you be more concerned about the INCIDENT (faces not blurred), so that you can pass the footage over to the police for possible prosecution?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker

As far as I'm aware she has a legal obligation to give me footage of myself as requested within 40 days.

This isn't something I've ever heard of, can you tell us which law you think it is that requires footage to be handed over? Your mention of £10 seems to suggest that you have submitted a SAR, but I'm not aware this covers data held by private individuals.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    CCTV covering public spaces isn't covered by the domestic exemption of the Data Protection Act and has to be notified to the ICO.
    As the data controller for this footage, individuals do have the right to request a copy of it from you under the DPA, if you collect their personal data.

https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/cctv-on-your-property/

You need to request from the neighbour why she has failed to comply with the DPA by not providing the information and then you can report it to the ICO.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,746 Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »
    This isn't something I've ever heard of, can you tell us which law you think it is that requires footage to be handed over? Your mention of £10 seems to suggest that you have submitted a SAR, but I'm not aware this covers data held by private individuals.

Well considering she’s running a business it’s some debate if she’d be subject to SAR. However, there’s certainly no requirement for her to keep the footage so all she has to say is she’s deleted it and there’s little you can do.

I too am curious what good a video that doesn’t identify anyone else is to you. Blurring out the faces wouldn’t be sufficient, you won’t be allowed to identify anyone from the video so they’d likely cover anyone else with black rectangles.

What did she say when the police requested the video from her as evidence?

On top of this I think you’re taking the mick a bit. When you feel it might be an issue for your business you’re all over her, even involving the police. As soon as you feel it’s beneficial for your business you suddenly see it as ok and once again look into how you can involve the law. Maybe if you’d been more sympathetic in the first place she’d be more cooperative now.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »

Theres a domestic purposes exemption but that won't apply if the cctv captures anything beyond the boundary of her own property.

OP the regulator for this is the ICO. Make a complaint with them.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • montyrebel
    montyrebel Posts: 646 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    you own a bar that doesn't have cameras? well that sounds like a place I wouldn't give my business to
    mortui non mordent
  • montyrebel wrote: »
    you own a bar that doesn't have cameras? well that sounds like a place I wouldn't give my business to

Why ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport