Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • razkh
    • By razkh 4th Mar 18, 12:44 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    razkh
    Ccj/ no job?
    • 4th Mar 18, 12:44 PM
    Ccj/ no job? 4th Mar 18 at 12:44 PM
    Hello,
    I am finding it very difficult getting a job due to have a previous ccj, it was settled over a year ago, but I seem to be getting the jobs initially, until they do a credit check, in which case i usually get the 'unfortunately due to' blah blah blah. (Ido let them know in advance- why they waste my time i do not know).
    Long story short, two fraudulent phone contracts on my name whilst at uni, bank sorted it and i left it. a few years on, there's a ccj attached, spoke to debt collectors, they were able to remove one. but by this time it was already a ccj. i decided to pay the other one off because for some reason they didn't see it as a fraud, and i really wanted to fix my credit.

Any advice on what i can do about the job situation would be great.
Page 1
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 4th Mar 18, 1:37 PM
    • 1,571 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    MEM62
    • 4th Mar 18, 1:37 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 1:37 PM
    Only a limited number of jobs/professions require you to pass a credit check. You'll need to apply for jobs that do not have this requirement.
    • bazzyb
    • By bazzyb 4th Mar 18, 1:48 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 3,274 Thanks
    bazzyb
    • 4th Mar 18, 1:48 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 1:48 PM
    What kind of jobs are you applying for? Most won't be interested in CCJs.

If this was truly down to fraud and you have evidence to prove this then you may be able to get the CCJ set aside depending on the circumstances.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 4th Mar 18, 3:39 PM
    • 2,826 Posts
    • 2,041 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 4th Mar 18, 3:39 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 3:39 PM
    Hello,
    I am finding it very difficult getting a job due to have a previous ccj,
    Originally posted by razkh
    I doubt it. In over 3 decades in the workplace I've never ever been credit checked for a job and I've done a wide range of them including ones where I've had access to thousands of pounds in cash.
    • cjmillsnun
    • By cjmillsnun 4th Mar 18, 4:22 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    cjmillsnun
    • 4th Mar 18, 4:22 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 4:22 PM
    And yet our company will carry out background checks routinely when taking on new staff.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 4th Mar 18, 4:35 PM
    • 24,752 Posts
    • 11,967 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 4th Mar 18, 4:35 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 4:35 PM
    Hello,
    I am finding it very difficult getting a job due to have a previous ccj, it was settled over a year ago, but I seem to be getting the jobs initially, until they do a credit check, in which case i usually get the 'unfortunately due to' blah blah blah. (Ido let them know in advance- why they waste my time i do not know).
    Long story short, two fraudulent phone contracts on my name whilst at uni, bank sorted it and i left it. a few years on, there's a ccj attached, spoke to debt collectors, they were able to remove one. but by this time it was already a ccj. i decided to pay the other one off because for some reason they didn't see it as a fraud, and i really wanted to fix my credit.

Any advice on what i can do about the job situation would be great.
    Originally posted by razkh
    Sorry but a fraud is a fraud - you are paying for someone else's crime and where has it got you?
    Can you not fight the CCJ one?
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 4th Mar 18, 7:31 PM
    • 1,438 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    nic_c
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:31 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:31 PM
    The debt collectors may not have seen it as fraud, doesn't mean it wasn't. If you can show its fraud, possible to apply for set-aside. For instance a phone was delivered to the address you lived at, they may say was not fraud, even though someone could have intercepted.
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 4th Mar 18, 7:41 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:41 PM
    • 4th Mar 18, 7:41 PM
    People in banking/accountancy roles will get credit checked.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,327Posts Today

5,922Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin