Lloyd's Avios mystery

Options
Hi All,

Bear with me on this because I know it sounds mad. Once a month I pop to my local e cigarette store and purchase my usual stuff. I use my Lloyd's avios amex every time. I noticed on my most recent visit the pending amount on my card was the wrong amount. I made a mental note to check it once it moves out of pending and to confirmed. Well 2 weeks later the pending charge is gone and I haven't been charged at all. It's completely missing from my statement. Curious about this I looked back and noticed all my previous payments to this store are missing and seem to be replaced with a refund of the same amount with the name "an amendment to your account." The account number also doesn't match either credit card number.

Interestingly my wife went to the store on my behalf in January and paid on her Lloyd's avios amex and her payment is missing too! Although no refund on her account.

I phoned Lloyd's and they didn't really have an answer. I know I shouldn't complain about free stuff but I'm concerned a) local independent retailer may be missing out on money b) I might suddenly get hit with several months of charges.

It's just really bizarre and only seems to be happening on the Lloyd's avios amex. Anyone seen this, got any thoughts?

Cheers

TJ

Comments

• BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, you may well be hit with the charges in the future.

Contact the shop and see what they say. Even if the credit card does not charge you again, the retailer has the right to pursue you for the cost for the next six years.
  • bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As your paying by Amex the shop may not actually have a amex merchant account and havent realised, check with the store.

I had similar with a local takeaway that i visit often and started taking cards.

They would do contacless and not bother reading the merchant receipt stating nothing happened,after couple days they removed the amex supported sticker!
  • Trinder_Jones
    Options
    Thanks both I'm going to pop to the shop next week and see what they say.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why not give out the name and address of the shop to give us all a chance?

(Only joking LOL)
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 4 March 2018 at 10:18PM
    Options
    Hi All,

Bear with me on this because I know it sounds mad. Once a month I pop to my local e cigarette store and purchase my usual stuff. I use my Lloyd's avios amex every time. I noticed on my most recent visit the pending amount on my card was the wrong amount. I made a mental note to check it once it moves out of pending and to confirmed. Well 2 weeks later the pending charge is gone and I haven't been charged at all. It's completely missing from my statement. Curious about this I looked back and noticed all my previous payments to this store are missing and seem to be replaced with a refund of the same amount with the name "an amendment to your account." The account number also doesn't match either credit card number.

Interestingly my wife went to the store on my behalf in January and paid on her Lloyd's avios amex and her payment is missing too! Although no refund on her account.

I phoned Lloyd's and they didn't really have an answer. I know I shouldn't complain about free stuff but I'm concerned a) local independent retailer may be missing out on money b) I might suddenly get hit with several months of charges.

It's just really bizarre and only seems to be happening on the Lloyd's avios amex. Anyone seen this, got any thoughts?

Cheers

TJ

Bit confused here. You say that you visit this store once a month. You say that ALL of your previous transactions are missing and have been replaced by refunds. How can statemented transactions, that are there in black and white on previous statements, suddenly be 'missing' and replaced by refunds? This is not really possible is it?
    If this were the case, the closing balances, minimum payment due etc on each statement would be changed. Not only that, but if the transactions have been replaced by refunds for the same amount, then you will have been credited with twice the amount ie you spent £100 and got £200 back ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure