Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mickeysala
    • By mickeysala 3rd Mar 18, 4:04 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mickeysala
    Maestro and Switc
    • 3rd Mar 18, 4:04 AM
    Maestro and Switc 3rd Mar 18 at 4:04 AM
    Does anyone know how widespread Maestro is accepted in France.

I am sending DD skiing next year, and would like her to use a prepaid debit card, but it would be pointless if MAestro and Switch aren't widely accepted.

:confused:
Page 1
    • Richey_
    • By Richey_ 3rd Mar 18, 4:56 AM
    • 320 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    Richey_
    • 3rd Mar 18, 4:56 AM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 4:56 AM
    Bizarre.

Switch was ceased around 16 years ago.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switch_(debit_card)

Maestro? Does any uk bank still issue them?

Are you sure you are not a troll?
    • Edi81
    • By Edi81 3rd Mar 18, 8:33 AM
    • 450 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    Edi81
    • 3rd Mar 18, 8:33 AM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 8:33 AM
    I don!!!8217;t think Maestro is used.
    I think it!!!8217;s now MasterCard Debit.
    I travel world wide and have had no problems using it so France should be ok.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 3rd Mar 18, 11:17 AM
    • 3,397 Posts
    • 1,610 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:17 AM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 11:17 AM
    Local (or SEPA) issued Maestro may be accepted where MasterCard is not.

Who will issue this prepaid Maestro/Switch card?
    • AllieKat
    • By AllieKat 3rd Mar 18, 1:21 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    AllieKat
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:21 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 1:21 PM
    Switch is long discontinued. Maestro is basically discontinued in the UK market. Did this thread get stuck in a moderation queue for over a decade?
    • AllieKat
    • By AllieKat 3rd Mar 18, 8:25 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    AllieKat
    • 3rd Mar 18, 8:25 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 8:25 PM
    Why would you refer to it as Switch though if it's a Visa? Visa isn't even the descendent of Switch. Maestro (UK) is which has been almost entirely (if not entirely) replaced with Mastercard Debit. Visa is a completely different company.

I do agree though, the post doesn't look like a 'troll' post so that seemed a bit harsh. More like someone was living under a rock for the last decade of banking
    • AllieKat
    • By AllieKat 3rd Mar 18, 9:48 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    AllieKat
    • 3rd Mar 18, 9:48 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 9:48 PM
    I agree. This site isn't a terribly friendly or welcoming community. Calling people trolls for not knowing current products is definitely bullying. That said the post did feel very dated to where I actually did wonder if it somehow was stuck in a moderation queue for years.

Fair point on the Dyson 'Hoover' but Hoover still exists. I wonder if the generic use will continue after they go out of business.
    • venison
    • By venison 3rd Mar 18, 10:05 PM
    • 2,041 Posts
    • 2,190 Thanks
    venison
    • 3rd Mar 18, 10:05 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 10:05 PM
    I don't think this board is unfriendly there are a lot of very helpful people on here, if you want unfriendly try DT -)
    OP why not a prepaid CC, IF DD is old enough to go off skiing doesn't she have her own bank account?
    Ex Board Guide
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 3rd Mar 18, 10:16 PM
    • 9,134 Posts
    • 14,067 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 3rd Mar 18, 10:16 PM
    • 3rd Mar 18, 10:16 PM
    Can I still spend my shillings in Woolworths?
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 3rd Mar 18, 11:23 PM
    • 2,281 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    Ben8282
    It is not friendly to call people trolls. However, when a newbie makes their first and only post at 4AM to ask a rather odd question and then doesn't come back to the thread despite having received 14 replies, it does raise questions as to their authenticity.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 4th Mar 18, 12:15 AM
    • 3,578 Posts
    • 924 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Local (or SEPA) issued Maestro may be accepted where MasterCard is not.

Who will issue this prepaid Maestro/Switch card?
    Originally posted by eDicky
    Rather a lot of divergence in this thread.

At first sight I like others took the view that Maestro was discontinued. That was reinforced by my own experience where Maestro cards were either replaced by VISA or MasterCard Debit. However it intrigued me so I had a look around.

Maestro is apparently still issued in the U.K. in prepaid form by 360Money as a Quidity Maestro card. But I didn't go any further so be careful if wanting to apply for one. To that end I have not posted a link.

Anyway to answer the OP, Maestro is a global network so should work in most countries in establishments where it is accepted.
    https://www.mastercard.com/UK/personal/en/findacard/debitcard/debit-maestro.html
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 4th Mar 18, 1:12 AM
    • 8,482 Posts
    • 8,794 Thanks
    pogofish
    Why isn't this in the banking forum? These were never credit cards.
    • Richey_
    • By Richey_ 4th Mar 18, 8:44 AM
    • 320 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    Richey_
    Oh Robbydabanca

The post I called you a troll on is where you hijacked somebody else’s thread with something absolutely nothing to do with it and when everybody quite rightly ignored you you resorted to stamping your foot and posting...

Hello. I also asked a question.
    Originally posted by Robbydabanca

The behaviour of somebody who is just trolling and post building. You call me a bully, you are the one throwing his dollies out of the pram.

This thread again for the reasons given above is all the hallmarks of a troll and somebody post building. It makes no sense for a start.

Welcome to the forum however, always great to make an entrance...
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 4th Mar 18, 4:17 PM
    • 8,482 Posts
    • 8,794 Thanks
    pogofish
    I am only new here but within a few posts I was called a troll so agree it is not welcoming and yes bullying is no longer acceptable in any way shape or form.
    Originally posted by Robbydabanca
    Hijacking random/old threads with posts/questions unrelated to the OP is very much an indicator of a troll/stooge/spammer just posting to build-up to the point they can start posting links - and it is something you very clearly agreed not to do as part of your signup. So it is not unreasonable or any kind of bullying when people here get a bit narked about of it - esp as the boards have just come through a period of major disruption by malicious posters who started by doing just that.

So maybe, to avoid further irritation, you should go and have a good read of the basic posting guidelines that you confirmed you had read and understood before you could post here. That way we will all get along much better.
    • venison
    • By venison 4th Mar 18, 8:19 PM
    • 2,041 Posts
    • 2,190 Thanks
    venison
    As this thread has gone off course I'm going to close it as the OP has had all the sensible answers they are going to get.
    Last edited by venison; 04-03-2018 at 10:17 PM.
    Ex Board Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,291Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin