Sky price increase

Options
MXW
MXW Posts: 563 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I've just had a letter informing me that my sky subscription is due to increase. To be honest I don't really watch the sky channels, but like the record, pause live tv, and download options.

I'm thinking of cancelling sky tv as I can't really afford it (only have the basic package).

Is there a box I could buy for my TV that can record, download and pause live tv?

Many thanks in advance.

Michelle

Comments

• Bigphil1474
    Options
    Michelle - yes. If you aren't watching any Sky channels, then something like a Humax PVR or similar will do you - basically freeview access with a record function. PVR = personal video recorder. Works just like your sky + device. A Youview box might suit you also. I have one from when I was with PlusNet. It does freeview channels and record, pause, rewind etc. See if your ISP does one. When we got the PlusNet one, we had to pay £5 a month for PlusNet TV for 12 months, but it came with BT sport lite and a few extra channels.
    Alternative is a freeview play TV - gives access to catch up devices directly. Also, your TV may be able to use a USB stick or external hard drive which it can record on to - depends on the spec.
  • NineDeuce
    Options
    All you need is a smart TV with Freeview. Failing that, a non-subscription plug in device such as Amazon Fire.

I would no way pay a monthly fee for recording and watching programmes I have missed.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    NineDeuce wrote: »
    All you need is a smart TV with Freeview.
    That won't provide any recording facilities though. There are also a significant number of channels with no Catch-Up service.
    The OP needs a PVR, but doesn't need to pay Sky any subscription to get one.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As above Humax box . Brilliant
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Small detail missing - you want a Humax *FreeSat* box to replace Sky+ or Sky HD+. They'll have 2 feeds from the dish, and those will plug straight into a FreeSat box, with the same dish and LNB, pointing in the same direction. If you want the catchup and on demand stuff, you want a FreeSat FreeTime box.
    We have no idea whether OP even has an aerial. If they do, they could go for a YouView box.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    . If you want the catchup and on demand stuff, you want a FreeSat FreeTime box.
    The problem with that is that All4 Catch Up service has left the Freesat platform significantly weakening it's offering...

The OP needs to purchase a PVR that suits his own personal needs and he'll get more pertinent recommendations if he returns to the thread to tell us ...
  • MXW
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for all your replies.
    Just to confirm, I do have an aerial.

Michelle
  • christaitfife
    Options
    The Humax Freesat boxes are good, but can be a bit pricey. Have a look at what you really want. My parents were ready to ditch sky, but they offered them the basic package for £10 per month. For them this was better value than paying £200 for a Humax - theoccationally watch Gold etc. and like you they like the record function.

It amazes me the amount of people that stt that they 'like the record function' and then someone pipes up saying 'what you want is a smart TV/ Fire stick/ Roku box'.... these dont record!!!!!

Also, for most a Smart TV is a poor purchase. This is because you can not guarantee that the Smart functions will be maintained. A few years ago I purchased the Which? best buy smart BlueRay player... just over a year ago almost all smart features were discontinued. For smart functions it makes more sense to buy a Fire stick (I wouldn't because I detest Amazon's business practices) or a Roku as their very existence is dependant on being able to maintain a valuable library of services.
  • MXW
    Options
    The Humax Freesat boxes are good, but can be a bit pricey. Have a look at what you really want. My parents were ready to ditch sky, but they offered them the basic package for £10 per month. For them this was better value than paying £200 for a Humax - theoccationally watch Gold etc. and like you they like the record function.

It amazes me the amount of people that stt that they 'like the record function' and then someone pipes up saying 'what you want is a smart TV/ Fire stick/ Roku box'.... these dont record!!!!!

Also, for most a Smart TV is a poor purchase. This is because you can not guarantee that the Smart functions will be maintained. A few years ago I purchased the Which? best buy smart BlueRay player... just over a year ago almost all smart features were discontinued. For smart functions it makes more sense to buy a Fire stick (I wouldn't because I detest Amazon's business practices) or a Roku as their very existence is dependant on being able to maintain a valuable library of services.

Thanks for for the advice. I'll ring sky and see what they offer. I'll look into the Human box too.

Michelle
  • MXW
    Options

I've looked at the box and think for me it's ideal. I've read up on them and have conflicting information.

I have a smart TV and WiFi, however the router us upstairs so I'm unable to get a WiFi connection on the TV. I've read information that states that I need internet connection to use the box, and some information saying I don't as long as I have a dish!

Does anyone have any idea? If I do need internet connection, would it be some kind of usb stick?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Michelle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills