Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MXW
    • By MXW 27th Feb 18, 7:50 PM
    • 508Posts
    • 228Thanks
    MXW
    Sky price increase
    • 27th Feb 18, 7:50 PM
    Sky price increase 27th Feb 18 at 7:50 PM
    I've just had a letter informing me that my sky subscription is due to increase. To be honest I don't really watch the sky channels, but like the record, pause live tv, and download options.

I'm thinking of cancelling sky tv as I can't really afford it (only have the basic package).

Is there a box I could buy for my TV that can record, download and pause live tv?

Many thanks in advance.

Michelle
Page 1
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 28th Feb 18, 9:41 AM
    • 830 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    • 28th Feb 18, 9:41 AM
    • 28th Feb 18, 9:41 AM
    Michelle - yes. If you aren't watching any Sky channels, then something like a Humax PVR or similar will do you - basically freeview access with a record function. PVR = personal video recorder. Works just like your sky + device. A Youview box might suit you also. I have one from when I was with PlusNet. It does freeview channels and record, pause, rewind etc. See if your ISP does one. When we got the PlusNet one, we had to pay 5 a month for PlusNet TV for 12 months, but it came with BT sport lite and a few extra channels.
    Alternative is a freeview play TV - gives access to catch up devices directly. Also, your TV may be able to use a USB stick or external hard drive which it can record on to - depends on the spec.
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 28th Feb 18, 9:55 AM
    • 827 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    • 28th Feb 18, 9:55 AM
    • 28th Feb 18, 9:55 AM
    All you need is a smart TV with Freeview. Failing that, a non-subscription plug in device such as Amazon Fire.

I would no way pay a monthly fee for recording and watching programmes I have missed.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 28th Feb 18, 12:13 PM
    • 20,483 Posts
    • 11,351 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 28th Feb 18, 12:13 PM
    • 28th Feb 18, 12:13 PM
    All you need is a smart TV with Freeview.
    Originally posted by NineDeuce
    That won't provide any recording facilities though. There are also a significant number of channels with no Catch-Up service.
    The OP needs a PVR, but doesn't need to pay Sky any subscription to get one.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 28th Feb 18, 12:56 PM
    • 36,038 Posts
    • 46,448 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 28th Feb 18, 12:56 PM
    • 28th Feb 18, 12:56 PM
    As above Humax box . Brilliant
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 28th Feb 18, 1:47 PM
    • 7,374 Posts
    • 2,991 Thanks
    almillar
    • 28th Feb 18, 1:47 PM
    • 28th Feb 18, 1:47 PM
    Small detail missing - you want a Humax *FreeSat* box to replace Sky+ or Sky HD+. They'll have 2 feeds from the dish, and those will plug straight into a FreeSat box, with the same dish and LNB, pointing in the same direction. If you want the catchup and on demand stuff, you want a FreeSat FreeTime box.
    We have no idea whether OP even has an aerial. If they do, they could go for a YouView box.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 28th Feb 18, 5:20 PM
    • 20,483 Posts
    • 11,351 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 28th Feb 18, 5:20 PM
    • 28th Feb 18, 5:20 PM
    . If you want the catchup and on demand stuff, you want a FreeSat FreeTime box.
    Originally posted by almillar
    The problem with that is that All4 Catch Up service has left the Freesat platform significantly weakening it's offering...

The OP needs to purchase a PVR that suits his own personal needs and he'll get more pertinent recommendations if he returns to the thread to tell us ...
    • MXW
    • By MXW 28th Feb 18, 9:29 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    MXW
    • 28th Feb 18, 9:29 PM
    • 28th Feb 18, 9:29 PM
    Hi,

Thanks for all your replies.
    Just to confirm, I do have an aerial.

Michelle
    • christaitfife
    • By christaitfife 1st Mar 18, 7:54 AM
    • 152 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    christaitfife
    • 1st Mar 18, 7:54 AM
    • 1st Mar 18, 7:54 AM
    The Humax Freesat boxes are good, but can be a bit pricey. Have a look at what you really want. My parents were ready to ditch sky, but they offered them the basic package for 10 per month. For them this was better value than paying 200 for a Humax - theoccationally watch Gold etc. and like you they like the record function.

It amazes me the amount of people that stt that they 'like the record function' and then someone pipes up saying 'what you want is a smart TV/ Fire stick/ Roku box'.... these dont record!!!!!

Also, for most a Smart TV is a poor purchase. This is because you can not guarantee that the Smart functions will be maintained. A few years ago I purchased the Which? best buy smart BlueRay player... just over a year ago almost all smart features were discontinued. For smart functions it makes more sense to buy a Fire stick (I wouldn't because I detest Amazon's business practices) or a Roku as their very existence is dependant on being able to maintain a valuable library of services.
    • MXW
    • By MXW 1st Mar 18, 8:07 AM
    • 508 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    MXW
    The Humax Freesat boxes are good, but can be a bit pricey. Have a look at what you really want. My parents were ready to ditch sky, but they offered them the basic package for 10 per month. For them this was better value than paying 200 for a Humax - theoccationally watch Gold etc. and like you they like the record function.

It amazes me the amount of people that stt that they 'like the record function' and then someone pipes up saying 'what you want is a smart TV/ Fire stick/ Roku box'.... these dont record!!!!!

Also, for most a Smart TV is a poor purchase. This is because you can not guarantee that the Smart functions will be maintained. A few years ago I purchased the Which? best buy smart BlueRay player... just over a year ago almost all smart features were discontinued. For smart functions it makes more sense to buy a Fire stick (I wouldn't because I detest Amazon's business practices) or a Roku as their very existence is dependant on being able to maintain a valuable library of services.
    Originally posted by christaitfife
    Thanks for for the advice. I'll ring sky and see what they offer. I'll look into the Human box too.

Michelle
    • MXW
    • By MXW 3rd Mar 18, 11:07 AM
    • 508 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    MXW

Originally posted by christaitfife
    I've looked at the box and think for me it's ideal. I've read up on them and have conflicting information.

I have a smart TV and WiFi, however the router us upstairs so I'm unable to get a WiFi connection on the TV. I've read information that states that I need internet connection to use the box, and some information saying I don't as long as I have a dish!

Does anyone have any idea? If I do need internet connection, would it be some kind of usb stick?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Michelle
    • almillar
    • By almillar 5th Mar 18, 12:54 PM
    • 7,374 Posts
    • 2,991 Thanks
    almillar
    A Freesat box will work fine via satellite without an internet connection - this is the setup that I have in my kitchen. Of course, you won't get any catch up content this way, but you can watch and record TV in the traditional way.
    • MXW
    • By MXW 5th Mar 18, 1:15 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    MXW
    A Freesat box will work fine via satellite without an internet connection - this is the setup that I have in my kitchen. Of course, you won't get any catch up content this way, but you can watch and record TV in the traditional way.
    Thanks for your reply.

Michelle
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 5th Mar 18, 7:11 PM
    • 2,386 Posts
    • 2,068 Thanks
    giraffe69
    If you want to connect to the internet, the wifi is not good enough and you don't want trailing ethernet wires then get a couple of power plugs once near the TV and one near the router. That way you can get a connection and typically it is better and quicker than wifi.
    • MXW
    • By MXW 6th Mar 18, 5:14 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    MXW
    If you want to connect to the internet, the wifi is not good enough and you don't want trailing ethernet wires then get a couple of power plugs once near the TV and one near the router. That way you can get a connection and typically it is better and quicker than wifi.
    Originally posted by giraffe69
    That's a great idea, thank you. Is there a particular make that is better than others?

Michelle
    • almillar
    • By almillar 7th Mar 18, 1:39 PM
    • 7,374 Posts
    • 2,991 Thanks
    almillar
    Is there a particular make that is better than others?
    I've only used one set, they're TP-LINK, and I've had no problems. Not exactly thorough market research, but there you go.
    • MXW
    • By MXW 7th Mar 18, 7:54 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    MXW
    I've only used one set, they're TP-LINK, and I've had no problems. Not exactly thorough market research, but there you go.
    Thanks for your reply. I've ordered one..... fingers crossed!

Michelle
    • grlloyd999
    • By grlloyd999 7th Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    grlloyd999
    Sky threat after cancellation
    Hi guys,

Im at the end of my fixed term with Sky so went to cancel the package today in the usual hope that I would cancel and theyd ring back and offer me their best price to stay with them. However, I went to cancel via live chat and the agent informed me that if I went ahead with the cancellation today, no offers would be forthcoming in the next month before they turn off the package. This threw me a bit, are they bluffing? If so, do I call their bluff and go ahead?

Cheers
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 8th Mar 18, 8:09 AM
    • 830 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    If you can survive without Sky for a while, then call their bluff. My son has Sky and he's always cancelling then getting good offers and re-signing up. I use Now TV, which is rarely full price. I think you can pretty much guarantee they'll want you back, want you back, want you back for good.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 8th Mar 18, 8:18 AM
    • 2,235 Posts
    • 1,037 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Hi guys,

Im at the end of my fixed term with Sky so went to cancel the package today in the usual hope that I would cancel and theyd ring back and offer me their best price to stay with them. However, I went to cancel via live chat and the agent informed me that if I went ahead with the cancellation today, no offers would be forthcoming in the next month before they turn off the package. This threw me a bit, are they bluffing? If so, do I call their bluff and go ahead?

Cheers
    Originally posted by grlloyd999
    Yes, they're bluffing. Maybe.

You've never been guaranteed a call back with an offer in the past and that's not changed. Cancel and then try a couple of calls or live chats. 50% off & 25 credit seems to be the limit on the TV packages nowadays.

Even though I'm in a 50% off rolling monthly contract for Boxsets I'm going to call them and see if they'll offer a lower price to change to Entertainment + HD (I've got to call about the BB anyway so thought I'd try my arm). It may work for you if you don't use all of your package.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

61Posts Today

2,803Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin