Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Djene
    • By Djene 20th Feb 18, 4:38 PM
    • 85Posts
    • 12Thanks
    Djene
    Morrison's Pay @ Pump doesn't take half my cards ?
    • 20th Feb 18, 4:38 PM
    Morrison's Pay @ Pump doesn't take half my cards ? 20th Feb 18 at 4:38 PM
    Hi

I live right next to a Morrison's fuel station that has Pay at the Pump. They accept all the cards I have, as it states on the pump itself.

Trouble is, it doesn't accept my Santander Select Debit Card, MBNA Etihad AmEx or Starling Debit Card. It just says "sale cancelled". I asked inside why, and was told "mustny have atleast 99 in the caird then" (obviously I'm from Scotland haha) which was very helpful andinformative, not.

But there is over that amount. It takes my nationwide debit card fine. Any idea why this would be. I've tried the Morrison's petrol station at my work too. Same result. All the cards work perfectly fine in an Morrison's. I've called Santander and they said there is nothing that should be stopping this.

The Visa card with the MBNA account works perfectly fine too. So I'm lost haha.
Page 1
    • paragon909
    • By paragon909 20th Feb 18, 4:44 PM
    • 1,406 Posts
    • 1,398 Thanks
    paragon909
    • 20th Feb 18, 4:44 PM
    • 20th Feb 18, 4:44 PM
    Hi

I live right next to a Morrison's fuel station that has Pay at the Pump. They accept all the cards I have, as it states on the pump itself.

Trouble is, it doesn't accept my Santander Select Debit Card, MBNA Etihad AmEx or Starling Debit Card. It just says "sale cancelled". I asked inside why, and was told "mustny have atleast 99 in the caird then" (obviously I'm from Scotland haha) which was very helpful andinformative, not.

But there is over that amount. It takes my nationwide debit card fine. Any idea why this would be. I've tried the Morrison's petrol station at my work too. Same result. All the cards work perfectly fine in an Morrison's. I've called Santander and they said there is nothing that should be stopping this.

The Visa card with the MBNA account works perfectly fine too. So I'm lost haha.
    Originally posted by Djene
    Maybe these cards aren't offline and only work online with transactions being authorised instantly. Or just go inside and pay....
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 21st Feb 18, 9:44 AM
    • 1,722 Posts
    • 1,263 Thanks
    18cc
    • 21st Feb 18, 9:44 AM
    • 21st Feb 18, 9:44 AM
    call eg santander and ask them
    • alanq
    • By alanq 21st Feb 18, 10:18 AM
    • 4,154 Posts
    • 2,733 Thanks
    alanq
    • 21st Feb 18, 10:18 AM
    • 21st Feb 18, 10:18 AM
    call eg santander and ask them
    Originally posted by 18cc
    I've called Santander and they said there is nothing that should be stopping this.
    Originally posted by Djene
    OP has already done that.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 21st Feb 18, 10:24 AM
    • 2,480 Posts
    • 1,063 Thanks
    20aday
    • 21st Feb 18, 10:24 AM
    • 21st Feb 18, 10:24 AM
    Have you had this issue with any other Pay at Pump facility other than Morrison's?

If you have I'd echo Paragon's post and suggest some of your cards are for 'online' authorisations only.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 21st Feb 18, 12:02 PM
    • 4,812 Posts
    • 1,573 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 21st Feb 18, 12:02 PM
    • 21st Feb 18, 12:02 PM
    Have you had this issue with any other Pay at Pump facility other than Morrison's?

If you have I'd echo Paragon's post and suggest some of your cards are for 'online' authorisations only.
    Originally posted by 20aday
    Having an online card doesn't (in itself) preclude using Pay at Pump.
    The card issuer has to restrict it; which some do e.g. RBS/NatWest.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 21st Feb 18, 1:42 PM
    • 1,722 Posts
    • 1,263 Thanks
    18cc
    • 21st Feb 18, 1:42 PM
    • 21st Feb 18, 1:42 PM
    i would call santander again as obviously there is something stopping it !
    • d123
    • By d123 21st Feb 18, 3:37 PM
    • 8,016 Posts
    • 5,231 Thanks
    d123
    • 21st Feb 18, 3:37 PM
    • 21st Feb 18, 3:37 PM
    Starling card definitely works for Pay at Pump, but from reading their community they are blocking transactions that dont comply with the new authorisation rules (only authorising 1 isnt supposed to happen anymore).

patrick
    Starling

Hi @GCJ, in late 2017, MasterCard asked retailers to stop doing 1 pre-authorisations, in particular pay-at-pump.

These retailers are now supposed to pre-authorise the maximum value which they will allow they customers to fill up, and then reverse the difference. If the customer does not have this amount, they should decline.

For example - pre-auth 100 at the pump, and if you fill up 25, they should release 75 back to you.
    If the balance is under 100, it will simply decline.
    This has been common practice in Europe for quite some time.

We have found some retailers are not complying to this, which is why we have had to make a change in some instances. This reduces the number of card disputes, unauthorised overdrafts, and has some other benefits.

In some cases such as yours, sadly, it can impact the experience. But again, this will only happen at a retailer not complying with the change to 1 pre-auths.

We will continue to monitor this, and can see several pay-at-pump retailers are already starting to adapt to the changes.
    Hope this makes sense.
    https://community.starlingbank.com/t/tesco-pay-at-pump-card-decline/3461/3
    ====
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 21st Feb 18, 4:31 PM
    • 98,597 Posts
    • 67,043 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 21st Feb 18, 4:31 PM
    • 21st Feb 18, 4:31 PM
    Morrisons petrol is best avoided anyway.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 21st Feb 18, 7:00 PM
    • 1,691 Posts
    • 1,465 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    I bought fuel at Asda yesterday and it's showing as 1 in pending transactions.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 21st Feb 18, 7:17 PM
    • 3,856 Posts
    • 2,519 Thanks
    glider3560
    Morrisons petrol is best avoided anyway.
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    Why? It meets all the required standards. The only difference between that and branded fuel is the additive added to the fuel is different.

• dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 22nd Feb 18, 12:43 PM
    • 98,597 Posts
    • 67,043 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Why? It meets all the required standards. The only difference between that and branded fuel is the additive added to the fuel is different.
    Originally posted by glider3560
    They add the least additives.

The Morrisons garage near us has been responsible for engine faults with people on more than one occasion and has had to pay compensation multiple times.

When you fill up with Morrisons petrol, the car feels lethargic. Of course, it will depend on your engine and whether you would notice it or not.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 22nd Feb 18, 2:39 PM
    • 2,526 Posts
    • 2,549 Thanks
    ValiantSon

The Morrisons garage near us has been responsible for engine faults with people on more than one occasion and has had to pay compensation multiple times.

When you fill up with Morrisons petrol, the car feels lethargic. Of course, it will depend on your engine and whether you would notice it or not.
    Questionable as to whether this is a national issue. If it were then Morrisons would be extremely short-sighted.

Which refinery do they get their petrol from?

The additive mix is proprietary. Each retailer uses their own. The engine is designed, however, to run on petrol and all the petrol is the same.
    Last edited by ValiantSon; 22-02-2018 at 2:49 PM.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 22nd Feb 18, 6:42 PM
    • 21,172 Posts
    • 15,406 Thanks
    molerat
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/cards/2018/02/millions-with-basic-bank-accounts-barred-from-paying-at-the-pump
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 23rd Feb 18, 9:29 AM
    • 4,300 Posts
    • 1,202 Thanks
    Anthorn

It's because Morrisons makes it.

Anyway it's been quite some time since I saw any distinction between online and offline cards in terms of their acceptance. That's if there are actually online and offline cards anymore. What I have found is that some retailers who accept American Express don't accept them contactlessly; Wilko is an example of that. Wilko is also an example of declining cards that should be accepted.

It probably comes down to the the payment processor. I'd say use the card which through experience you know will work.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 23rd Feb 18, 10:11 AM
    • 2,526 Posts
    • 2,549 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    It's because Morrisons makes it.
    Originally posted by Anthorn
    Morrisons don't make the petrol; they buy it from a refinery.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 23rd Feb 18, 11:50 AM
    • 98,597 Posts
    • 67,043 Thanks
    dunstonh
    There are only several refineries in the UK and all fuel originates from one these. The key is the additives and the storage period (as petrol can go off over time and poor storage can contaminate the fuel).

Morrisons in our area has suffered multiple times with contamination/storage issues and their fuel has low levels of additives. The rare times I have used Morrisons, the car has felt sluggish afterwards and that is something others have said as well.
    • Smevchenko
    • By Smevchenko 23rd Feb 18, 12:04 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Smevchenko
    I have used a card multiple times at pay at pump stations when my balance has been below 99. Are you saying, in future, this may not be allowed if they scrap the 1 authorisation?

That would be annoying as a local station to me is an ASDA which is pay at pump only.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 23rd Feb 18, 12:05 PM
    • 4,812 Posts
    • 1,573 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    There are only several refineries in the UK and all fuel originates from one these. The key is the additives and the storage period (as petrol can go off over time and poor storage can contaminate the fuel).

Morrisons in our area has suffered multiple times with contamination/storage issues and their fuel has low levels of additives. The rare times I have used Morrisons, the car has felt sluggish afterwards and that is something others have said as well.
    One of my ex-jobs had an office next to a refinery.

The supermarket tankers and branded ones refilled with no particular order. I can see them changing additives feedstock in that time but giving one bad or good fuel - I doubt it.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 23rd Feb 18, 12:17 PM
    • 2,526 Posts
    • 2,549 Thanks
    ValiantSon

As I suggested, that sounds like a local problem.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,594Posts Today

5,836Users online

Martin's Twitter