Morrison's Pay @ Pump doesn't take half my cards ?

Options
Hi

I live right next to a Morrison's fuel station that has Pay at the Pump. They accept all the cards I have, as it states on the pump itself.

Trouble is, it doesn't accept my Santander Select Debit Card, MBNA Etihad AmEx or Starling Debit Card. It just says "sale cancelled". I asked inside why, and was told "mustny have atleast £99 in the caird then" (obviously I'm from Scotland haha) which was very helpful andinformative, not.

But there is over that amount. It takes my nationwide debit card fine. Any idea why this would be. I've tried the Morrison's petrol station at my work too. Same result. All the cards work perfectly fine in an Morrison's. I've called Santander and they said there is nothing that should be stopping this.

The Visa card with the MBNA account works perfectly fine too. So I'm lost haha.

Comments

• paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    Djene wrote: »
    Hi

I live right next to a Morrison's fuel station that has Pay at the Pump. They accept all the cards I have, as it states on the pump itself.

Trouble is, it doesn't accept my Santander Select Debit Card, MBNA Etihad AmEx or Starling Debit Card. It just says "sale cancelled". I asked inside why, and was told "mustny have atleast £99 in the caird then" (obviously I'm from Scotland haha) which was very helpful andinformative, not.

But there is over that amount. It takes my nationwide debit card fine. Any idea why this would be. I've tried the Morrison's petrol station at my work too. Same result. All the cards work perfectly fine in an Morrison's. I've called Santander and they said there is nothing that should be stopping this.

The Visa card with the MBNA account works perfectly fine too. So I'm lost haha.

Maybe these cards aren't offline and only work online with transactions being authorised instantly. Or just go inside and pay....
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    call eg santander and ask them
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    18cc wrote: »
    call eg santander and ask them
    Djene wrote: »
    I've called Santander and they said there is nothing that should be stopping this.

OP has already done that.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Have you had this issue with any other Pay at Pump facility other than Morrison's?

If you have I'd echo Paragon's post and suggest some of your cards are for 'online' authorisations only.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    20aday wrote: »
    Have you had this issue with any other Pay at Pump facility other than Morrison's?

If you have I'd echo Paragon's post and suggest some of your cards are for 'online' authorisations only.

Having an online card doesn't (in itself) preclude using Pay at Pump.
    The card issuer has to restrict it; which some do e.g. RBS/NatWest.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    i would call santander again as obviously there is something stopping it !
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Starling card definitely works for Pay at Pump, but from reading their community they are blocking transactions that dont comply with the new authorisation rules (only authorising £1 isnt supposed to happen anymore).
    patrick
    Starling

Hi @GCJ, in late 2017, MasterCard asked retailers to stop doing £1 pre-authorisations, in particular pay-at-pump.

These retailers are now supposed to pre-authorise the maximum value which they will allow they customers to fill up, and then reverse the difference. If the customer does not have this amount, they should decline.

For example - pre-auth £100 at the pump, and if you fill up £25, they should release £75 back to you.
    If the balance is under £100, it will simply decline.
    This has been common practice in Europe for quite some time.

We have found some retailers are not complying to this, which is why we have had to make a change in some instances. This reduces the number of card disputes, unauthorised overdrafts, and has some other benefits.

In some cases such as yours, sadly, it can impact the experience. But again, this will only happen at a retailer not complying with the change to £1 pre-auths.

We will continue to monitor this, and can see several pay-at-pump retailers are already starting to adapt to the changes.
    Hope this makes sense.
    https://community.starlingbank.com/t/tesco-pay-at-pump-card-decline/3461/3
    ====
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morrisons petrol is best avoided anyway.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Options
    I bought fuel at Asda yesterday and it's showing as £1 in pending transactions.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Morrisons petrol is best avoided anyway.
    Why? It meets all the required standards. The only difference between that and branded fuel is the additive added to the fuel is different.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure