Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ohbumstoitall
    • By ohbumstoitall 18th Feb 18, 6:17 PM
    • 85Posts
    • 108Thanks
    ohbumstoitall
    Oh Bum's to it all
    • 18th Feb 18, 6:17 PM
    Oh Bum's to it all 18th Feb 18 at 6:17 PM
    My username reflects my current mood. I just want to pack it all in, escape to an island and forget I ever had debt.

BUT.....I can't do that. I was doing okay, I had reduced my debt but then I might've had an episode and spent 10k on my Amex.

Whilst it's a huge issue that I've spent all this money, the main thing here is that it's an interest bearing card and I have no real room elsewhere to do a credit card shuffle. This had been how I was paying off my debt, by shuffling every few months.

I'm now paying 400 a month towards this card and having to pay at least half that in interest. i'm not forgetting about the rest of my debt but those payments will just keep going out whilst I try to crack on with the most important ones. If I don't sort myself out I'm going to have a 3k deficit by the end of August (I've worked out how much is coming in and going out including debt payments) and I would like to try to avoid going into a DMP mainly because I can see that my 6k HSBC card and my 11k Amex would CCJ me and I really need to avoid that. The HSBC is interest free for a long time luckily.

I had lost my AMEX and so was using it on PayPal which is basically what led me to royally frak up (sci-fi reference for you there) so it's been removed from all of my online shopping things. I've then requested a new card as I have about 1400 on my TSB card to BT.

Today I've reduced the Amex from 13k to 12k limit. And will reduce it every time I hit a 1k down, I have 800 credits available, I don't want to reduce that as I would hate to go over the limit (interest blah blah) but I think I can trust myself not to spend that.

AMEX: 11143.81
    BarclayCard: 2034.16
    First Direct Loan: 3881.71 (if I don't overpay this is how much I will pay in total including interest)

There are other debts but they are not as important at the moment.

I'm currently on an eBay-ing mission. I've got 30 something items listed: [Removed]
    Ironically, these are some of the things I purchased with the Amex. I can't return them as the date's passed. I've got a couple of things I can return however and also something from ASOS that I think I can send back for a refund of 50. I've also got a lot of clothes I've never worn, the only issue is I'm due to have a gastric sleeve in a couple of months and then will lose weight, so I either keep them to wear as I lose weight or sell them. I'd have to buy new clothes though thats the issue. At the same time, my standard "uniform" really only consists of leggings and longline tops which can be bought cheaply AND a lot of my current tops will still work as I shrink because of the style of them. I also think that it will take a good few months before I start to see any effect in terms of my size. Oh, the sleeve is being funded by the NHS due to health problems so I won't be paying out for it. Controversial I know but its complicated.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam2; 19-02-2018 at 11:45 PM.
Page 2
    • Sugarcandy
    • By Sugarcandy 26th Feb 18, 12:19 PM
    • 380 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    Sugarcandy
    Oh well done on the sales, what a great start!
    • ohbumstoitall
    • By ohbumstoitall 26th Feb 18, 5:01 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    ohbumstoitall
    Ugh - I know car insurance had gone up but still.... 80 more than last year
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 26th Feb 18, 7:09 PM
    • 5,878 Posts
    • 25,162 Thanks
    Cinny91
    Oh dear, I'm not looking forward to when my son gets into the loop of parties! Maybe you could try and set a trend by doing a "no present party" for your son?

You're doing really well on your sales! Especially considering all the other tasks you're juggling, I'm not at all surprised you wound up with a stress migraine. Don't forget to take care of yourself!
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 26th Feb 18, 7:15 PM
    • 4,523 Posts
    • 27,263 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Have you checked all the comparison sites for your car insurance

Don't just auto renew
    • ohbumstoitall
    • By ohbumstoitall 27th Feb 18, 10:27 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    ohbumstoitall
    Oh dear, I'm not looking forward to when my son gets into the loop of parties! Maybe you could try and set a trend by doing a "no present party" for your son?

You're doing really well on your sales! Especially considering all the other tasks you're juggling, I'm not at all surprised you wound up with a stress migraine. Don't forget to take care of yourself!
    Originally posted by Cinny91
    I could do but knowing this town it won't catch on, and his birthday is after all of his friends (august baby). And thanks, I'm working hard to clear the house. I reckon I can get another 400 out of it, well I hope so anyway!

Have you checked all the comparison sites for your car insurance

Don't just auto renew
    Originally posted by StokieBecks
    It's not auto renewal, so when I insured the car last year it was a renault clio, then we changed cars mid year to a corsa which added an extra 70 for the rest of the year. So the 80 for this year is due to the change in car.

The insurance price had actually doubled on price comparison websites but I went to our current provider and made them lower it
    • ohbumstoitall
    • By ohbumstoitall 27th Feb 18, 9:19 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    ohbumstoitall
    Another 130 to the Amex, 9196.42 left to pay. And however much else on all the other debts.

Still can't decide what to do about the Barclaycard that's due to run out of interest free in June. As i've said before, I could concentrate on paying it off so I can BT to Amex in June but I'll be paying interest on the Amex card whilst I do that so I think I'll lose out.

Or concentrate on Amex, then I'll end up paying interest on the Barclaycard when it expires but that could also be hefty if the interest covers the last couple of years.

OR just wait it out and hope I get a bonus in June. I should have 1300 in bonuses so we'll have to see. uGH
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 27th Feb 18, 11:27 PM
    • 6,372 Posts
    • 13,021 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    I would concentrate on the Amex as you are paying interest now on that.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • ohbumstoitall
    • By ohbumstoitall 28th Feb 18, 3:59 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    ohbumstoitall
    Yes I think you are right, I mean, if I am able to knock enough off the Amex by June I might be able to grab a balance transfer from somewhere, and if not the interest will still be less than the Amex.

I've managed to reduce the Amex credit limit to 10k now. Think the running balance is about 9096.42. I'm aiming to get 2k paid off it by June. It's a totally unrealistic target but might as well give it a go!!

March Budget:
    Amex: 300
    TSB CC: 25 (not sure what minimum payment is, if its less I'll put the difference on Amex)
    DMP: 105
    Family Loan: 130
    HSBC: 160
    FD Loan: 112.68
    Halifax Card: 28
    BarclayCard: 45
    BarclayCard: 35
    Tesco Credit Card: 25

PensionBee: 10
    University Parking: 30
    Dog Walker: 88
    Cleaner: 66
    Social Club: 10
    Mobile Phone: 27
    TV Licence: 13
    Pet Insurance and Healthcare: 42
    Rent: 600
    Gas and Electric: 98
    Water: 35
    Virgin Media: 28
    Petrol and Food: 500
    Car Insurance: 330.09
    Pet Food: 50
    Childcare: 60
    Car Maintenance: 25
    Clothing: 20
    Stuff I forgot to budget for: 50
    DS Money: 10
    My Money: 50
    Oh Money:50
    Spotify: 4.99

Expenses: 2197.08
    I'll bring in 1290, OH will bring in 500 leaving a shortfall of 308.48 which will be funded from the remainder of January's student loan. Basically I HAVE to stick to the budget. Any deviation will be a disaster.

I'm going to use my 257 costco voucher this month. I'm going to stock up on toilet roll, kitchen roll, olive oil, bin bags, rice etc. Apparently whatever I don't spend gets refunded in cash.....
    Also really really need to properly meal plan this month, I have SO MUCH FOOD!!!
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 4th Mar 18, 10:53 PM
    • 8,955 Posts
    • 17,004 Thanks
    savingholmes
    Good you have lots of food and a voucher to use up. Hope you manage to stick to budget so you are not in deficit.
    Today is a new day 93/310 10 a day Mar Challenge DFD August 2021
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 4th Mar 18, 11:37 PM
    • 15,159 Posts
    • 49,896 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    I just LOVE the title of your Diary.

LOVE it.

I am now going to subscribe

Big hugs XXX
    Frugal Living Challenge, Pound a Day challenge, Sealed Pot Challenge Debt 4990 (March)
    • ohbumstoitall
    • By ohbumstoitall 5th Mar 18, 5:38 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    ohbumstoitall
    I just LOVE the title of your Diary.

LOVE it.

I am now going to subscribe

Big hugs XXX
    Originally posted by Buffythedebtslayer
    Thanks It's my motto at the moment lol!

I'm rather proud of myself - I have halved my makeup palette collection by selling them on ebay. I have kept ones that I already use a lot and they are all different shade ranges anyway. I do still have like, 100 foundations

I haven't bought anything new from the two websites that I was previously addicted to. I have looked, but now I've also unsubscribed from the emails that keep offering me 20% off!

I've got two boxes under my vanity now, one is for things I like and worked well and the other is for things that didn't work well. When I've finally mowed my way through all the makeup (I mean realistically that'll be in 3 years time) I won't make the mistake of buying something I didn't like again. The aim is to have a capsule makeup collection as opposed to 50 lipsticks....

I also found that I had a Makeup Revolution palette in my collection which I was quite impressed with when I used it, it only cost 5 so I have bought one of their foundations for 5 to try. I'm also making a list of "dupes" for products I love, so when they run out I will try a cheaper alternative.

I've got some more parcels to post today, then have more at home I need to label up and post. I've ordered some bubblewrap from ebay 15 for 100 metres. I've also had to buy a small amount from Argos for 9 (15m what a rip off) or I'll be late posting what's left to send. But as I go through the house it will pay for itself as I'm still posting books from amazon and I included packaging costs when sending to ebay.

I haven't done a weekly/monthly shop. Trying really hard to get my way through the food we already have. We're just buying bits and bobs - naan bread for the curry (I can make my own but was too tired).

No money making this week, this week is about NOT spending instead.
    • savingholmes
    • By savingholmes 6th Mar 18, 7:16 AM
    • 8,955 Posts
    • 17,004 Thanks
    savingholmes
    Well done on not spending. Sounds like you have a lot of ebaying to do.... turning past mistakes into cash is a good thing. I like Revolution too... my daughter introduced me to it - and I prefer it to my No 7 pallette
    Today is a new day 93/310 10 a day Mar Challenge DFD August 2021
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,301Posts Today

7,627Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin