Help re Gas company

Options
sw1960
sw1960 Posts: 13 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi,
My gas company have let my gas account go into debit, as they said they'd increase my direct debit last August. They failed to do so, and I have just noticed. They are only starting the increase from next month. Is there anything I can do, or is it my fault and I just have to pay the debit. I know I've used the gas, so it might be just pay up, but any comments appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• b4umsf
    Options
    Who is your gass supplier?
  • CashStrapped
    CashStrapped Posts: 1,294 Forumite
    edited 14 February 2018 at 9:24PM
    Options
    While it is annoying that they failed to increase your direct debit, you have still used the gas.

If you raise a formal complaint (letter is better), they may offer a token of goodwill i.e a small credit.

But, you will still be expected to pay off any outstanding debt. Preferably over a period of time. This is easiest to do in summer when bills are usually lower. Overpay at this time to pay off the debt. You should aim to be in credit before next autumn.

When it works, the direct debit system is great. But, to ensure it works properly it requires input from yourself.

Regular monthly meter readings will ensure your direct debit stays on track.

Remember, a direct debit is not your actual bill, it is just a way to spread the cost of what you and your energy company think you will use.

In summer you should overpay, building up a credit. In winter the direct debit will not cover winter use, but the credit on the account from summer will cover the extra use.

A direct debit should stay the same all year round. But, this requires the predicted use to be accurate. That is why regular meter readings are important.
  • sw1960
    sw1960 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your reply cash strapped. I will see what they say. It's flow energy by the way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure