Dimplex Quantum storage rads

Options
Posted this elsewhere: Hoping to replace my old outdated storage heaters(3) in a large house. The reviews have been mixed and having just visited a friend who has just had them installed, I am not that impressed and he seems to think that they are not that efficient. Anyone got any thoughts on these storage heaters? Are they as efficient as they claim? Any leccies out there who have any thoughts on these things? Thanks.

Comments

• CashStrapped
    CashStrapped Posts: 1,294 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 February 2018 at 5:32PM
    Options
    What makes you think your current storage heaters are outdated?

If your current storage heaters perform OK, and there is nothing wrong with them and you are using the controls correctly, you will likely see little benefit with swapping like for like.

The savings will not be enough to recoup the outlay. So doing it purely for efficiency reasons is a waste of time.

However, if your current heaters are undersized (3 in a large house sounds too few). Then you may want to add new ones or replace them for an appropriate output for the property.

I have three (3kw heaters) in a small flat.

A 3kw Quantum would cost nearly £1000. So for three or more than three, you might as well explore the option of installing central heating (if that is even an option)
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 14 February 2018 at 5:24PM
    Options
    A storage heater is just a heap of blocks to store heat, a heating element or two and a thermostat, so it really matters not how old they are, they all do the same job except that newer ones may be a bit prettier and have better insulation

There's not much to go wrong and they are cheap and easy to repair so it's difficult to see how a Quantum can be any better than a basic storage heater.

As electric heating is effecively 100% efficient you need the same spec'd Quantum as any other storage heater to get the same amount of heat out of it - if you put less in, then you'll get less out - it's not rocket science.

You have to do heat loss calculations to work out the correct size of heater for the space you are heating. If you dont store enough heat then they won't do the job.

The only real benefit I can see from a modern storage heater is that it might store the heat for a bit longer than an older one, so might manage to retain it's heat until later in the day. But unless you feel you want the boost heating capability of a Quantum (which will use peak rate leccy) then I can't see why you'd buy them.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • blimeyharri
    Options
    All the advice I've been given says that the life span of the older style storage heaters is a bit pants.

Have you thought about infrared? Cheaper to run no matter what tariff you're on. Which is probably a good thing given that Economy 7/10 could be disappearing in the near future....
  • matelodave
    Options
    Dunno where you've got your info from but there are plenty of 0-30 year old storage heaters still going strong and they are cheap and easy to repair.

Infra red doesn't use off-peak energy (unless you stand in front of it during the night) and will consume the same amount of leccy and cost the same to run as any other peak rate heater to produce the same amount of heat.
    You may feel it's effect in a different way but it wont save you money unless you only have it on for short periods and stand in front of it while it's on.
  • diamond_dave
    Options
    thanks for all replies. House is rented to a single person with 3 children. She is eligible for a grant to replace these old credas which are 30 years old at least. They work fine but from April 1st I cannot relet the property if the EPC is lower than "E" so it would make sense to do something now to meet these ratings and should these break down I will have no choice as under LOT20 regulations all heaters have to comply with these new regs. I am told these heaters are the best thing since sliced bread - but not everyone likes sliced bread!
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    - life span of NSH is about a maintenance free 100 years
    - infra is 'core rate' and is about 30% more expensive than NSH
    - TOU tariffs disappearing is between very very unlikely and never

Welcome to MSE.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Quantum are the single only NSH solution replacement to qualify under LOT20, they are not better in one area than older types but are not necessary, not a cost effective swapout and will do almost nothing to improve the EPC. Insulation curing heat loss will deal with EPC. Quantum will improve both heating and comfort levels .. .. .. at a huge initial up front outlay and an ongoing weekly increase in energy input costs.

A fully structured Quantum install is an excellent NSH system but in a poorly insulated dwelling just boosts heat / comfort values by automatically switching on its forward facing expensive core-day rate radiative heating element on.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    All the advice I've been given says that the life span of the older style storage heaters is a bit pants.

Have you thought about infrared? Cheaper to run no matter what tariff you're on. Which is probably a good thing given that Economy 7/10 could be disappearing in the near future....

An infrared heater produces EXACTLY the same amount of heat, for the same consumption of electricity, as any other electrical heater.

As said above, any storage heater is essentially a pile of bricks heated by electrical elements. Age doesn't affect their efficiency in that they also produce EXACTLY the same amount of heat, for the same consumption of electricity, as any other electrical heater - including Quantum heaters.
  • matelodave
    Options
    I'd doubt that upgrading storage heaters will actually improve your EPC much whereas improving insulation and installing other energy saving measures or changing the heating system entirely will.

It's worhwhile putting some effort into establishing what is the most cost effective way of improving your EPC rating and not just lashing out on stuff that seems like a good idea.

We spent loads when refurbing our bungalow, including replacing storage heaters with an air source heatpump and underfloor heating and managed to get it up from a G to a D.
  • blimeyharri
    Options
    Took my primary information from The Green Age - I had questions about old storage heaters and they sent me the below:
    The first option is to replace your storage heaters with fan assisted storage heaters. These are more efficient as they can retain their charge for longer as well as providing great temperature control. This obviously allows you to still take advantage of Economy 7/Economy 10. I should note at this point that Economy 7/Economy 10 relies on base load energy generation, which is maintained by technologies being rapidly overtaken in the UK by newer, renewable sources. Therefore the tariff basis on which a storage heater saves money may, in a few years time, cease to be an option.

Another issue that may arise is the variation in upfront price – new fan-assisted storage heaters are about £500 + for each one you replace, going up to £700-£900 for the Quantum range, so costs may become a consideration. With storage heaters, you are also never going to be able to have complete, real-time control over temperature. This means that they may not be the most comfortable option available.

Rough cost of a unit of useful heat: £0.15 (providing you are on Economy 7)

The next option is to go for Infrared Heating Panels, These panels don’t heat the air like conventional heating systems (even radiators heat by convection, which is warming of the air). They instead emit far infrared, which travels unimpeded from the panel until it hits a solid object (you, the couch, the walls, your gerbil, etc), which absorbs the infrared and then warms up. The benefits of this over convection heating are numerous, with health, efficiency and style all being included. As they don’t require the circulation of air, Infrared Heating Panels are perfect for those who suffer with allergies. The infrared also boosts circulation and provides a near instant heat. These panels are very popular in Germany and Austria and are now growing in popularity here in the UK. The panels start at about £180 – a far bit cheaper than storage heaters.

Rough cost of a unit of useful heat: £0.15 (provided you are not on Economy 7)

What do you reckon??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport