Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • AlphaCentauri
    • By AlphaCentauri 13th Feb 18, 2:47 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Building Development Grants
    • #1
    • 13th Feb 18, 2:47 PM
    Building Development Grants 13th Feb 18 at 2:47 PM
    Hi, I'm looking at buying a property where the condition has been described as:
    "is in need of further development and services."

    It's a barn in a remote area. I was wondering if there are any council or government grants that can be applied for to help develop the property.
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 13th Feb 18, 3:05 PM
    • 25,026 Posts
    • 68,508 Thanks
    • #2
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:05 PM
    • #2
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:05 PM
    Er, yeah. No there are not.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 13th Feb 18, 3:05 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    • #3
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:05 PM
    • #3
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:05 PM
    I doubt it unless its of some sort of historic value... You generally buy the property at a reduced price because of the work that needs doing... Banks will offer mortgages based on money being given to you as the work proceeds.
    • thmaga
    • By thmaga 13th Feb 18, 3:14 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    • #4
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:14 PM
    • #4
    • 13th Feb 18, 3:14 PM
    It depends, we have some schemes in South Wales for bringing empty properties back in to use, or for making improvements to energy inefficient homes.

    Some are grants, some loans and all have different criteria/means test etc.

    Its probably unlikely there will be something for a remote proeprty like that though.

    Given how much this varies across the country you would be better placed calling up your local council than asking here really.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

553Posts Today

5,631Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin