18 Year Old PCP

Options
My son in a moment of weakness decided to purchase a new Polo GTI. I was far from impressed bearing in mind the type of car and his age & relative nativity so ended up going to the VW dealer to grudgingly negotiate a better deal. One year in and despite a clean record his premium has made the car virtually uninsurable
He wants rid and is in 2k negative equity.
As car is on a PCP is it worth writing to VW finance as although he signed on the dotted line. I wonder was the PCP the correct thing to offer him bearing in mind his age (Just18)and type of car?

Comments

• davidwood681
    Options
    He's an adult.
    People forget that in this day and age.
    Do him a life long lesson and let him deal with his own mess.

And the dealer/finance company aren't at fault.

You and your son are.
  • bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    He's an adult.
    People forget that in this day and age.
    Do him a life long lesson and let him deal with his own mess.

And the dealer/finance company aren't at fault.

You and your son are.

Yeah but why take any personal reponsibility when you can do your level best to blame someone else, innit!

(tongue firmly in cheek in case it's not clear;))
  • Mike967angus
    Options
    I'm overwhelmed by your kind and friendly reply. Truly heartwarming and do hope any teenage children you may have are astute unrebellious and listen to your every word of advice as a parent. Im fully aware he's an adult (Just)and can settle the shortfall in finance.
    I am also aware that PCP sales need to be fit for purpose and all options made clear to ensure its the most suitable option as in PPI.
  • davidwood681
    Options
    Facts don't care about your feelings......

Tell him that too.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Should have stuck to a second hand Nova like everyone else at 18.
  • Mike967angus
    Options
    Thanks for your advice!!!55357;!!!56397;
  • Mike967angus
    Options
    Thanks for your advice!!!128077;
  • Mike967angus
    Options
    Mine was a metro:)
  • jbainbridge
    jbainbridge Posts: 2,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Trying to be constructive - I guess he has nothing to loose by contacting VW.

I doubt you'd get very far with saying the PCP was mis-sold ... the monthly payments would have been very clear at the outset. You would be expected to work out if you can afford the insurance yourself.

If he can't insure it the only reasonable thing to do would be to find a way out. Either by settling the agreement or going back to the dealer to see if he can change to a more 'practical' car.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm overwhelmed by your kind and friendly reply. Truly heartwarming and do hope any teenage children you may have are astute unrebellious and listen to your every word of advice as a parent. Im fully aware he's an adult (Just)and can settle the shortfall in finance.
    I am also aware that PCP sales need to be fit for purpose and all options made clear to ensure its the most suitable option as in PPI.

Surely a factual response is better than a heartwarming but useless reply?

Also, adulthood - and in fact life in general - is about taking responsibility for your actions, not trying to find someone else to blame.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure