Debt Free By 2019?

Options

Comments

• onedaysomeday
    Options
    Made it through my half of my checklist nice and quickly!
    1 - the SO's are all set up now for savings
    2 - Have researched and Hfax let you take in old £1 coins to pay into your account
    3 - trying to get hold of bank online to ask about statements :mad:

I have also worked out that once everything is paid (and the two debts completely paid) my total will be £3387.50, which will be £1286.50 less than when I started. At the end of April with that wage, it will drop down to £3092 which is £1582 less than when I decided to start the diary!

Things will progress quicker once the end of April has gone - with the lack of driving lessons and other things that have come to an end (distance learning course etc) I have a fair amount of income leftover but that will have to be used for a hefty first instalment on car insurance :( although, having said that, I have just run a test quote on a Clio, and the top (monthly) quote it's showing me is £183 upfront then 10 instalments of £120.

I was previously looking and it was showing me a best offer of £500 upfront and £80 a month. Admittedly, its more money per month after the first instalment but the first instalment is also over £300 cheaper. I'm trying not to think about it too much as it's still around a month until my test, but there's no guarantee I'll pass first time anyway.
    If i did manage to get a real quote like that, £120 a month would still leave me around £500 that I could put towards debt repayments each month, less the cost of petrol.

I could definitely be debt free well before the end of the year with that much left over. So easily. As it stands, if I kept on paying exactly what I pay now, no changes at all, my estimated totals at the end of December would be:
    CC - £225 (probably less when the interest reduces with the total reducing but this is worst case)
    Loan (OH & Nan) - £42 (I currently pay my OH £71.50 til Feb and my Nan £50 til end of Oct so two payments would be just towards my OH @ £121.50
    Old Debts - £44
    Overdraft - £534
    Presents Pot - £180
    Car Maintenance etc pot - £180
    EF - £300
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want :hello:
  • onedaysomeday
    Options
    However - if I work on the assumption that I would have around £250 a month left over, after petrol and a £150 per month allowance, things could look very differently!
    A potential allocation could be:
    CC Payment increased from £100 to £150
    O/D Payment starts at £75pm
    Old Debt payments are increased from £85 per month to £160 per month
    EF payment is increased from £30 to £80.

This would mean that:
    The Old Debts would be repaid at the end of September with a £76 surplus from that payment coming off of the credit card balance
    The CC would be cleared at the end of October with a £50 surplus going to the Loan from my OH (Nans part being cleared this month also)
    The OD would be cleared at the end of October with £84 of the previously allocated Old Debt money, the rest of the Old Debt money would also take another £76 off of the loan total
    Then at the end of November I would pay the final £159 to my OH and everything would be repaid and I would have £620 in an emergency fund too.

That took some brain power but it's really nice to see that I could definitely be debt free by November at the latest! :j
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want :hello:
  • Poppy1984
    Poppy1984 Posts: 628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ah just realised I've left my comment of your old diary!
    19-02-18 Total Debt £30,322
    17-12-21 I'm Debt Free 🎉🎉🎉🎉
  • onedaysomeday
    Options
    Poppy1984 wrote: »
    Ah just realised I've left my comment of your old diary!

My fault for not being able to maintain the first one :rotfl:

I have a spreadsheet for all my income and expenditure so I put the things I buy on there as well - I'm going to try this month having my allowance out in cash. I feel much more accountable taking the money out of my purse and physically seeing it going as opposed to just tapping a card or clicking some buttons online :rotfl:
  • onedaysomeday
    Options
    Well, not much to report this morning it's kind of just the wait until the end of the month now...

The only thing I am waiting for is the 18th when my phone bill is generated to a) check my £60 credit is applied and b) whether it will come off of the total bill or just the tariff etc. Fingers crossed for total bill as that £60 is earmarked for my car fund! Left my purse at home yesterday so that I wasn't tempted to walk into town, but did end up spending £3.00 on the way home with my OH as I was a bit unbearable yesterday on top of a rubbish day he was already having so I got us a couple of drinks from McD's on the way home and did the pile of washing up etc when we got in too.

Tonight we are taking two of my family out for dinner at a Turkish restaurant as they treated us a while back, but OH isn't letting me pay for that so I'm looking forward to a nice meal out without worrying about where the money is going to come from. I have OH's CC's and he has done remarkably well at getting through the month without using them for random spends.

I had a small bid on one of my items for sale this morning so at least 1 out of 4 will definitely sell, had a message about a bracelet on there too and it now has a watcher so that should go too :j

So what's on my to-do list for today? Very little
    - go to m-pig and pick out an anniversary card for my parents to incorporate into my budget
    - attempt again to find out why I can't view my closed account statements online when it says I can
    - put holiday form in for my driving test date
    - keep an eye out for surveys :j
  • riotlady
    riotlady Posts: 442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sounds like a good day! :) I'm also pootling at home keeping an eye out for surveys
  • onedaysomeday
    Options
    riotlady wrote: »
    Sounds like a good day! :) I'm also pootling at home keeping an eye out for surveys

I never seem to come across that many in the daytime, I do seem to have better luck early morning or in the evening if I'm not busy and have the time to look. Annoyingly most of my free time on a computer is in the daytime :rotfl:
  • onedaysomeday
    Options
    Today is one of those days that really seems to drag! Maybe it's just because I'm excited for dinner later.

I picked an Anniversary card for my mum on m-pig (they're in Australia) and whilst on there figured out you can choose dates waaay in advance for them to be delivered, so also ended up paying for a Mother's Day Card, a Father's Day Card & 50th Birthday Card which is all the ones I will need to send over for the year, other than Christmas. They generally have guests from the UK before Christmas so I tend to just sent cards and presents over with whoever is visiting. It came to £17 for all four cards which I don't think is massively horrendous including the delivery too. I'm just happy that they are all sorted for the year :T

The day off for my driving test is now booked off.
    The only problem I have today is trying to look at my old statements! It says clearly on the website that you can view online statements for upto five years on a closed account - it's just not showing there anywhere and it only closed a week ago! I did begin downloading them on my laptop but it was so boring that I forgot to go back to it :o
  • onedaysomeday
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone!

Dinner last night was amazing - but it was not a cheap deal for my OH which he doesn't mind but the family we took out will be taking us out again to cover the big difference in bills for the two meals :rotfl: so that will be nice!

Been browsing around on TCB this morning - forgot to mention that I managed to find a just below 8% cashback offer on m-pig yesterday which I used for the cards. Found the car insurance company that continually shows me the cheapest quotes when I do test quotes, and they are on there with £48 cashback for taking out a policy - trying to plan everything ahead so that when (trying to say when and not if!) I pass, I can just crack on with sorting everything out.

I also had an email from Sburys today about doing surveys in return for points - not massive amounts but it all adds up so did a few of those. There was a interesting sounding £2.50 survey on PA but I'm at work so can't do it as it requires headphones to do the survey - a big shame as I do enjoy those kind of ones.

I have a strong desire to get up to 100 posts today :rotfl: so will do less lurking and more chatting :rotfl:

My nan is taking me out for lunch today (we do this once a week as lately it seems to be the only time we can catch up). If it wasn't for the milk and sugar I got this morning today would be a NSD but it's only £1 and I cannot manage without my coffee! :o
  • onedaysomeday
    Options
    Hurrah I have some TCB pennies I can cash out soon!

I used their (popular pizza place) deal where if you spent £15 you would (eventually) receive £15 in cash back
    Although:
    - £5 has been kept by TCB for my subscription to them? Not overly bothered but didn't realise that was a thing
    - I need to wait 72 hours as I stupidly only added my payout details today but I've had the account for about a month

But it's still £10 I didn't have before! It had been showing 31p pending for ages (including this morning) and I was worried I had done something wrong but it's all there now! I only even went on again to see if I had the m-pig one showing lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure