Pre-paid travel cash card

Options
Last year I had a Fairfx travel card as 'This is money' was advertising it on their site. It worked fine but my handbag was stolen and I lost all my cash, cards and phone. I was able to report the card stolen but they have no arrangements for getting money to you in an emergency. No sites mention this in their advertising - why aren't warnings given about This? I SENT an email to 'This is money' asking them to include it in their information about travel cards but i received no reply.

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Last year I had a Fairfx travel card as 'This is money' was advertising it on their site. It worked fine but my handbag was stolen and I lost all my cash, cards and phone. I was able to report the card stolen but they have no arrangements for getting money to you in an emergency. No sites mention this in their advertising - why aren't warnings given about This? I SENT an email to 'This is money' asking them to include it in their information about travel cards but i received no reply.

I would assume in the absence of advertisement of such a service that it didnt exist.

I have a few top up type cards and none of which would get me emergency money. Surely thats what your bank is for? IVe only ever seen cash without your debit card offered from them...
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    You might as well ask why your phone company didn't have arrangements for sending you money in an emergency. Or the people you bought the handbag from. There's no reason to suppose they would offer such a service unless they expressly claim that they do.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's why you take 1 or more back up cards, and don't carry them all in the same place (or leave 1 in the hotel safe).
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't know if any of the information in the following article is of any use to you, but some banks can transfer money to you abroad in an emergency by transferring it to a nominated bank.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2001/sep/22/travel.budgetingforyourholiday
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I used an ICE card last year in New York and they supply (by default) a back-up card, which you activate once you have reported the original one lost/stolen. Obviously keep it in a different place to the main one! Fortunately I didn't need the back-up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure