Question about tax/sorn

Options
My motorbike is a hobby but not one I do all year round. I passed my test in March last year and rode on sunny weekends, my last ride was mid October. As a new rider I’m happy being a fair weather one and accept that to be able to enjoy the sunny days, I need to pay for the cold rainy ones too.

However I’m also an MSE forum member. So where I can save money I’d like to. I can’t save on MOT, and I already do comparisons for insurance, do our own servicing etc. The only place I can see I could save some money is tax. Admittedly it’s not going to be a huge saving, but last year I paid for 3 months of tax when the bike just sat in the garage.

I’ve just had the renewal through, so it’s got me thinking. Cash flow isn’t a problem so I usually take the cheapest overall option (pay off in one go by card). I have never sorn a vehicle before but I’m tempted. Tempted to pay a year of tax (on credit card now that we can- cashback!) and then sorn it Nov- Feb. Is this do-able? Can you sorn a vehical for only 3 months? If so do you get 3 months refunded if you’ve paid it all in advance?

Does anyone else do this?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 11 February 2018 at 9:40AM
    Options
    Yes that's the way to do it.

You only get full month's refunded
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories