Energy Switch Fail

Options
caeler
caeler Posts: 2,605 Forumite
Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
So I joined the collective fix via MSE to switch duel fuel to Octopus Energy on 4 February 2018. I've just been in touch with them via their twitter feed to find out why I've not had a welcome pack yet.

My application has errored - it seemed to think I wasn't a domestic supply. Anyway the customer services team are all over it and hopefully things will start to progress.

However I had huge difficulties switching last year due to some major mistakes with the way my new build had been registered by the developer. So I figure it is related.

First - my property had 2 MPAN numbers! (also know as 'S' supply number 13 digits). Sadly this is still the case. You can view your MPAN here: https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/internet/en/help-and-advice/what-is-my-MPAN
I've sent an online enquiry to try and get the one that isn't actually my supply removed. Otherwise every switch I ever do will automatically fail!

Second - my gas supply had been registered under the wrong post code (correct house number and street name though and all my neighbours on my street were correct!). So that caused 4 failed attempts switch. I was passed from pillar to post for 3 months after my current supplier said they could and had updated the 'gas register' and my new supplier saying they had updated the register. Neither of them had as it turns out because only the gas distribution network can update the register! My gas is supplied by an independent gas transporter (IGT) (which you can tell because your gas meter number will begin with 74, 75, 76 or 77). To establish all this I spoke to the Meter Point Administration Service 0870 608 1524 and then I spoke to the relevant IGT who then updated the register and my switch was then successful.

So something is still not right given my experience with my recent switch, hopefully Octopus will be able to sort it out - I don't want to miss the tariff I've signed up for!

I'm sharing all this detail as I really hope it benefits somebody!

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    caeler wrote: »
    So I joined the collective fix via MSE to switch duel fuel to Octopus Energy on 4 February 2018. I've just been in touch with them via their twitter feed to find out why I've not had a welcome pack yet.

My application has errored - it seemed to think I wasn't a domestic supply. Anyway the customer services team are all over it and hopefully things will start to progress.

However I had huge difficulties switching last year due to some major mistakes with the way my new build had been registered by the developer. So I figure it is related.

First - my property had 2 MPAN numbers! (also know as 'S' supply number 13 digits). Sadly this is still the case. You can view your MPAN here: https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/internet/en/help-and-advice/what-is-my-MPAN
    I've sent an online enquiry to try and get the one that isn't actually my supply removed. Otherwise every switch I ever do will automatically fail!

Second - my gas supply had been registered under the wrong post code (correct house number and street name though and all my neighbours on my street were correct!). So that caused 4 failed attempts switch. I was passed from pillar to post for 3 months after my current supplier said they could and had updated the 'gas register' and my new supplier saying they had updated the register. Neither of them had as it turns out because only the gas distribution network can update the register! My gas is supplied by an independent gas transporter (IGT) (which you can tell because your gas meter number will begin with 74, 75, 76 or 77). To establish all this I spoke to the Meter Point Administration Service 0870 608 1524 and then I spoke to the relevant IGT who then updated the register and my switch was then successful.

So something is still not right given my experience with my recent switch, hopefully Octopus will be able to sort it out - I don't want to miss the tariff I've signed up for!

I'm sharing all this detail as I really hope it benefits somebody!

It is a general principle in the energy industry that issues relating to addresses; meter numbers etc have to be sorted out by your existing supplier.
  • caeler
    caeler Posts: 2,605 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    It is a general principle in the energy industry that issues relating to addresses; meter numbers etc have to be sorted out by your existing supplier.

Interesting. My original supplier didn't help. I called with the gas related problem and they put me on hold and said they had rectified it. Switch failed. Called them back, they tapped away on their computer and said they fixed it. Switch failed again. Gave up liaising with the original supplier after that, found out for myself what needed to be done and sorted it or so I hoped.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure