* Windows 7 Re-Installation: novice seeks help? *

hybernia
hybernia Posts: 390 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
edited 10 February 2018 at 9:16PM in Techie Stuff
Confession time: I'm nervous about computers. Another confession: despite best efforts, I know little about them. I do know, though, that my desktop Windows 7 PC is currently driving me mad with sudden shut downs, failed start-ups, and an ongoing inability to install Windows Updates.

A friend (sadly, no longer around) built my computer for me in 2014. It has worked perfectly until recently. Now things are so bad that I keep having to run sfc /scannow to fix things, only for the system to crash within a week. And as for the (possibly unrelated) WU fails, I've given up. This PC is protected anyway (and probably superfluously) by both Malwarebytes Premium 3.0 and Avast AV Free.

I created a Windows 7 Repair disk, the moment I bought this computer. I've attempted to use it to find / fix boot up problems etc but no, it won't work, even though I've rejigged the BIOS. But I also have another disk: the original Windows 7 installation disk. It's getting to the point where I think I'm going to have to use that.

But even though I have everything in My Documents backed up to an external, mains-powered HDD (including pictures, docs, emails etc as well as Program exes) I really don't like the prospect of having to re-install stuff after Windows 7 starts over. However, however:

My friend, when he built this PC, installed not one but TWO drives. One of 'em is a standard 1000 Mb HDD but the other is a 256 Gb SDD. And it's on that separate SDD that he installed Windows 7 Home Premium.

He explained why he'd done that but I'm too stupid to remember.

Question : does having the OS on a completely separate drive (Drive C mean that I CAN re-install Windows 7 and the re-installation will NOT affect the My Documents on Dive E????

Sorry if this is a daft question, but I'm lost. :(

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you want to reinstall windows make sure you only have the disk you want to install Windows onto connected. Disconnect the other disk. Nothing will be touched on this disconnected disk and after Windows is reinstalled you can connect the second disk and access all data on there.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    hybernia wrote: »
    I also have another disk: the original Windows 7 installation disk. It's getting to the point where I think I'm going to have to use that.

Given the problems you're having, that would probably be a good idea.

It's worth having a look round your system to figure out what is installed, if you have any special program settings that you might want to backup (like web browser settings and bookmarks, etc.), and to download all the drivers you need in advance.
    But even though I have everything in My Documents backed up to an external, mains-powered HDD (including pictures, docs, emails etc as well as Program exes) I really don't like the prospect of having to re-install stuff after Windows 7 starts over. However, however:

My friend, when he built this PC, installed not one but TWO drives. One of 'em is a standard 1000 Mb HDD but the other is a 256 Gb SDD. And it's on that separate SDD that he installed Windows 7 Home Premium.

He explained why he'd done that but I'm too stupid to remember.

That will be because the SSD is much faster, and it's better to have Windows on that (rather than your personal files) as it will make Windows run faster.
    Question : does having the OS on a completely separate drive (Drive C mean that I CAN re-install Windows 7 and the re-installation will NOT affect the My Documents on Dive E????

That's right. During the installation, you'll want to wipe the SSD and reinstall Windows on that. The bigger hard drive will not be affected, so all your saved files will be there.

However, you'll need to reinstall any programs you use.
    Sorry if this is a daft question, but I'm lost. :(

Not at all -- that's what the forum is here for :-)
  • wongataa wrote: »
    If you want to reinstall windows make sure you only have the disk you want to install Windows onto connected. Disconnect the other disk. Nothing will be touched on this disconnected disk and after Windows is reinstalled you can connect the second disk and access all data on there.

Thanks wongataa: sorry, I'm being a bit thick here, but how easy is it going to be for me to disconnect the HDD (Drive E?) It's an internal drive. Is this a step that's part of a re-installation routine (i.e., you click on something like an enable / disable connect/disconnect option )? Thanks.
  • esuhl wrote: »
    Given the problems you're having, that would probably be a good idea. It's worth having a look round your system to figure out what is installed, if you have any special program settings that you might want to backup (like web browser settings and bookmarks, etc.), and to download all the drivers you need in advance. . .

Hi esuhl: you're too kind, because actually, I was having a stoopid moment.

Of course the programs would need re-installing . . . because they're all in the program files on Drive C. How on earth I forgot that, I don't know, especially as after posting here, I did my usual routine of restoring the Vista version of Windows Mail to the two program folders on C (sfc always 'corrects' them because tes, test, I'm not supposed to be using a client so appallingly old when I should be using the appallingly worse LiveMail. Even if both are now defunct.)

Ah well. . . Thanks for the advice, and for being so patient.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,620 Forumite
    Thanks wongataa: sorry, I'm being a bit thick here, but how easy is it going to be for me to disconnect the HDD (Drive E?) It's an internal drive. Is this a step that's part of a re-installation routine (i.e., you click on something like an enable / disable connect/disconnect option )? Thanks.
    It is very easy. You open the case. Look at the disks to see which one is which. To disconnect one just pull one of the cables out of the disk in question. Plug and unplug with the power off.

It is not a step in the installation process. You don't have to do it but if you do you cannot accidentally remove data from the wrong disk/put Windows on the wrong disk. Also, the windows installation program has a tendency to put boot files on any connected and working disk it feels like. It is best to make sure all these files are on the disk that Windows is installed on as if you decided to change your other hard disk in the future you may not be able to boot.
  • emptybox
    emptybox Posts: 442 Forumite
    edited 11 February 2018 at 6:09PM
    There's really no absolute need to be physically disconnecting drives when reinstalling.

It's just that, with only one drive connected, no mistakes can be made during the reinstallation process, as to where the Windows installation ends up, and where the boot files end up etc.

But if you are not comfortable opening up the machine and disconnecting cables, then it just means more vigilance is required during the install, to make sure Windows is choosing the right disk to install to.
    Also worth checking the BIOS beforehand, to make sure the SSD is set to be the primary boot drive.

ETA: I seem to have mostly repeated what wongataa said. My only excuse is that I didn't refresh the thread before making my reply. :o
  • hybernia
    hybernia Posts: 390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Big thanks to wongataa and emptybox: great advice given twice isn't ever to be lamented but instead, gratefully received. And I am very, very grateful! I'll have a look at how to undo the casing of my computer -- it's a large (to me) though actually described as "mid-size" Z11 High Performance (yay!) by Zalman. Looking through the perspex panels it seems there's loads of room inside, including some pretty lighting. (Yes, I know. Don't say it. A girlie thing.)

Thanks to you two I've just been to the Zalman website and downloaded a User Manual. Never realised, a computer case could actually have a user manual, but Zalman (whoever they are) have definitely provided it.

If it looks like I might wreck things, I'll exercise extreme vigilance on the re-install (and yes, I'll check the AsusTek BIOS on-screen info to confirm that C, not E, is the Boot Drive.)

Thanks again! :)
  • emptybox
    emptybox Posts: 442 Forumite
    C: and E: are just Widows conventions for naming drives (C: is always the system drive).

In the BIOS the name will reflect the manufacturer of the drive plus the size, so for instance a Western Digital 500GB drive might be something like WD5000AAKX.
    My 320GB Seagate drive is ST3320418AS for example.

So you should be able to distinguish your drives by size at least.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    emptybox wrote: »
    C: and E: are just Widows conventions for naming drives (C: is always the system drive).

No it isn't, though on any properly configured installation it SHOULD be Drive C but it is possible to have it as any drive letter. Very easy to do in the days of Windows XP by accident when card readers came along and Windows ended up on Drive F if you weren't watching. More modern versions of Windows don't "suffer" from this and will usually end up on Drive C. Why you'd want it as any other drive letter is anybody's guess.
  • hybernia wrote: »
    Big thanks to wongataa and emptybox: great advice given twice isn't ever to be lamented but instead, gratefully received. And I am very, very grateful! I'll have a look at how to undo the casing of my computer -- it's a large (to me) though actually described as "mid-size" Z11 High Performance (yay!) by Zalman. Looking through the perspex panels it seems there's loads of room inside, including some pretty lighting. (Yes, I know. Don't say it. A girlie thing.)

Thanks to you two I've just been to the Zalman website and downloaded a User Manual. Never realised, a computer case could actually have a user manual, but Zalman (whoever they are) have definitely provided it.

If it looks like I might wreck things, I'll exercise extreme vigilance on the re-install (and yes, I'll check the AsusTek BIOS on-screen info to confirm that C, not E, is the Boot Drive.)

Thanks again! :)
    A small tip before moving stuff if you decide to open up the case , photos speak louder than words, grab your phone/camera oh and write notes too, many the days when you get called in the midst of doing something, then forget where you were:cool:
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure