PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

EA doesn't like us speaking directly with Vendors

Options
Exactly a week ago we had (or thought) an offer accepted, it was basically the asking price with a few bits of furniture thrown in. EA stressed that they need to see AIP, ID and Proof of Deposit.

Part of deposit if from my parents who are abroad.

Within a week we had engaged a solicitor, confirmed Santander to progress with mortgage and got EAs around for rental evaluation for our current home.

The vendors have been really nice and we have kept in touch over email, they were happy to answer any queries and usually reply promptly.

The EA called me today to say that I shouldn't be going ahead with survey as they haven't formally agreed to sell the property to me and they have another viewing today. They said they will not take it off market till they see funds for deposit, I explained that it will take a week or so for international transfer but they are happy to accept copies of parents account, I then sent them copies of account where the money is and they said they will continue with the viewing today and follow up on Monday.

I see the point of doing so and on Monday I am thinking of firmly asking for the property to be off market, will that be an acceptable thing to do?

Also the EA mentioned few times that I should not be emailing vendors as they are busy or going to hospital etc. which got me thinking that maybe there is something going on. The vendors were the ones to exchange email address and have never indicated any concern with us speaking directly. I wanted to say that email communication is the least invasive and the vendors are under no obligation to reply but my good nature stopped me from doing so.

House buying is rather stressful so I accept if I am just being paranoid.

Last week the EA mentioned that there has been two other offers but both buyers had property to sell before they could proceed.

We are in a good position to proceed and the next best buyer will be a cash buyer , even with international money transfer we will still be quicker than anyone who has a house to sell.

Have I annoyed EA by communicating direct with vendors.
Nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. - Alex Supertramp

Comments

• JoJo1978
    JoJo1978 Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Probably you have, but if your vendors have provided their contact details then I'd take that as a signal that they're ok with it. Perhaps just preface the next email with a quick check 'is it still ok... etc'

From the EAs perspective because the property is still being marketed it would be easier for them if they were the go between for all prospects. Perhaps they are working on a % and are hoping for a higher offer to come in - if you are in direct contact with the vendor they perhaps fear it will be less easy for the vendors to reject your current offer if that happens.

We were in direct contact with our vendors and it was really helpful, but it happened much later in the process after survey all done etc. Also the EA was fine with it in that case, it saved them phone time for a pretty dead cert deal.

The other experience we have was less good. We offered on a house last year and it was accepted, negotiated by the EA. Unbeknownst to them the vendor was in direct contact with a previous viewer (different EA.) Vendor texted her and she gazumped us. The EA was caught totally unaware by that too
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We are in a good position to proceed and the next best buyer will be a cash buyer , even with international money transfer we will still be quicker than anyone who has a house to sell.

Not clear what the position is with your current property. Is it currently mortgaged?
    The vendors have been really nice and we have kept in touch over email, they were happy to answer any queries and usually reply promptly.

Keeping the EA in the loop is the best way of keeping everyone informed in the process.
  • The_Palmist
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Not clear what the position is with your current property. Is it currently mortgaged?

Keeping the EA in the loop is the best way of keeping everyone informed in the process.

No chain and no property to sell, we will be putting ours on rent and do not need to have tenants in order to proceed although it will make financial sense to time it all accordingly.

Our questions were mainly regarding house local schools area etc. all business type questions and negotiation have been through EA.

Is it unreasonable to ask for the property to be off market.
    Nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. - Alex Supertramp
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,894 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I wouldn't take off, until exchanged
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • The_Palmist
    Options
    chanz4 wrote: »
    I wouldn't take off, until exchanged

Is that the norm?

Doesn't help buyers who could be making commitment to selling ..paying advance survey and solicitor fees etc.
  • societys_child
    Options
    It also doesn't help the vendor when the 'buyer' pulls out because they go with one of the other offers they've made, and they have to re-market all over again.
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    Is that the norm?

Doesn't help buyers who could be making commitment to selling ..paying advance survey and solicitor fees etc.

It's not something I've ever heard of.
    I'd never commit to a purchase if the property was still up for the highest bidder.
    No certainty until the very last minute. What buyer accepts that?
  • The_Palmist
    Options
    Margot123 wrote: »
    It's not something I've ever heard of.
    I'd never commit to a purchase if the property was still up for the highest bidder.
    No certainty until the very last minute. What buyer accepts that?

Exactly my thoughts, although I have very little to loose but wouldn't want the stress and I think on principle I will be asking for the property to be taken off market. I have done everything EA has asked for.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Is it unreasonable to ask for the property to be off market.

Until you've proven to be proceedable then I wouldn't personally.

Others are viewing knowing the offer on the table. They might offer higher.
  • The_Palmist
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Until you've proven to be proceedable then I wouldn't personally.

Others are viewing knowing the offer on the table. They might offer higher.

Proof of funds shown
    Mortgage not only AIP but full application going ahead
    Solicitor appointed
    No property to sell

I don't think I can provide anything else. I am going to insist on property being off market next week. While we would absolutely want this property, at this moment in time it is still a business transaction for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure