Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SimonPhoenix
    • By SimonPhoenix 9th Feb 18, 3:00 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 4Thanks
    SimonPhoenix
    Seeking compensation for Team KnowHow call charges
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:00 PM
    Seeking compensation for Team KnowHow call charges 9th Feb 18 at 3:00 PM
    Hi,
    I recently had an appalling experience with Currys. I purchased two washing machines over three months and encountered numerous issues with both products ranging from missed installation and delivery times, poor installation, terrible lack of communication, failure to refund on time, and to top it off technical faults with both machines.

In the end, after many, many calls to the Currys Team KnowHow helpline I was eventually refunded for both machines.
    I no longer have either machine. I have got my money back for both. But I now have a telephone large phone bill as a result of the number of calls I was compelled to make to work towards a resolution.

The longest call I have recorded on my bill was 1 hour 17 minutes. I was forced to chase Currys because of their incompetent customer service and faulty products. I was passed around from department to department, told I would get called back (I wasn't). and told incorrect information on a number of occasions.

All these instances required me to call the helpline just to work towards a resolution. Most of my time was spent on hold minimum 25 minute hold time (on a good day). This was something I had to put up with with every new call I made. Looking at my BT online account, I can see the full list of calls. The calls to the Team KnowHow helpline add up to about 100.

I would not have had to make so many calls if there wern't numerous failings by Currys. While I have my money back for the machines, I feel out of pocket as I have lost a significant amount of money via the telephone bill because of the helpline charges.
    I've spent that money for nothing in the end.

My question is: can I ask Currys compensate me for the call charges to the Team KnowHow helpline, and if so, how do I get the process started?
    If it were a small amount of money, it wouldn't bother me, but it's not. I wouldn't have had to make so many calls - effectively chasing Currys - if their post-purchase customer service was better.
    I have the details of the call dates, duration and cost on my online BT account. And I've been told several times by Currys that they records their calls. So it should all match up.

Any advice appreciated
    Thanks
    Last edited by SimonPhoenix; 09-02-2018 at 3:09 PM.
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 9th Feb 18, 3:16 PM
    • 20,143 Posts
    • 15,868 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:16 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:16 PM
    Call costs of 100 to an 0344 number suggest you spent in the region of 12 hours on the phone to them. Is that correct?
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 9th Feb 18, 3:40 PM
    • 535 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Boohoo
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:40 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:40 PM
    Call costs of 100 to an 0344 number suggest you spent in the region of 12 hours on the phone to them. Is that correct?
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    If the phone number is 0344 561 1234 then i maybe included in your landline calls package if you have a package and a landline.

If OP called from a mobile then i have no idea of the costs.

Just be gratefull that you got your money back for the 2 faulty machines.

This is 1 reason i don't and will never buy from Currys.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 9th Feb 18, 3:48 PM
    • 1,180 Posts
    • 803 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:48 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:48 PM
    Did you purchase the washing machines as a consumer or a business (e.g. to go into rental properties)?

Just checking as that would change your rights significantly. Also how did you pay?

The first step world be to raise a formal complaint with Currys and see what they say. There is also the Retail Ombudsman but I've no idea whether they're any good.

If you paid by credit card you could potentially claim for consequential loss from your card issuer using Section 75.
    • SimonPhoenix
    • By SimonPhoenix 9th Feb 18, 4:24 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    SimonPhoenix
    • 9th Feb 18, 4:24 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 4:24 PM
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    It's not usual over a period of almost three months (mid-November 2017 to Jan 2018). I had to endure a minimum 25 minute hold time almost every time I phoned up. Calls typically lasted from 35 minutes to almost an hour. I was being passed around to departments (which had their own hold times) and often told I'd get a call back then not getting the call and having to phone up to go through the whole process again.
    It all adds up over time. 5 here, 7 there etc. It was the only way I could get them to resolve my problems.

If the phone number is 0344 561 1234 then i maybe included in your landline calls package if you have a package and a landline.
    If OP called from a mobile then i have no idea of the costs.
    Just be gratefull that you got your money back for the 2 faulty machines.
    This is 1 reason i don't and will never buy from Currys.
    Originally posted by Boohoo
    I called from a standard BT landline, no call packages, extras etc.

Did you purchase the washing machines as a consumer or a business (e.g. to go into rental properties)?

Just checking as that would change your rights significantly. Also how did you pay?

The first step world be to raise a formal complaint with Currys and see what they say. There is also the Retail Ombudsman but I've no idea whether they're any good.

If you paid by credit card you could potentially claim for consequential loss from your card issuer using Section 75.
    Originally posted by dj1471
    Purchased as a consumer to go into my home.
    Paid for the machines online via debit card. I've got the refunds back for both, not without problems mind. They insisted that they had refunded me for the first machine (I got a refund confirmation email), but the money wasn't paid into my bank. They made me go to my bank who told me clearly that Currys hadn't refunded me. I then went back to Currys who changed their tune and told me it hadn't been done and eventually refunded me. This was another instance where I was compelled to make more calls to the helpline and endure the hold process to resolve things.

Regarding the telephone bill. I still haven't receieved my bill yet. It's due this month. I just looked online a few days ago to see what I've spent and found that my call charges are 130, the vast amount of call charges are for Team KnowHow's helpline. I only usually spend about 10 per quarter on calls. So it's a massive difference. I normally pay my phone bill with my debit card online.

Thanks for the advice.
    Last edited by SimonPhoenix; 09-02-2018 at 4:34 PM.
    • SimonPhoenix
    • By SimonPhoenix 16th Feb 18, 11:38 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    SimonPhoenix
    • 16th Feb 18, 11:38 AM
    • 16th Feb 18, 11:38 AM
    Hi
    So I'm preparing to write to Currys Team KnowHow regarding the excessive call charges to the KnowHow helpline (See OP for details).

I was just wondering if anyone knows where the best place to send my email to would be? Would it be worth using the "Resolver" website?
    Any basic tips on how I should structure my complaint/request for compensation would be appreciated, too.
    Thanks.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 16th Feb 18, 12:16 PM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 4,043 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • 16th Feb 18, 12:16 PM
    • 16th Feb 18, 12:16 PM
    Surely that helpline is just for problems with operating things and advice? Were you on it trying to arrange a refund?
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 16th Feb 18, 12:18 PM
    • 5,038 Posts
    • 30,337 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • 16th Feb 18, 12:18 PM
    • 16th Feb 18, 12:18 PM
    How come on my mobile package, calls to 01, 02, and 03 are included!
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 16th Feb 18, 12:20 PM
    • 4,284 Posts
    • 4,330 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 16th Feb 18, 12:20 PM
    • 16th Feb 18, 12:20 PM
    Because you have a calls package with your monthly mobile plan? OP used a landline without any calls package. (May have had free weekend calls, but any other calls are chargeable at standard rates).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 16th Feb 18, 12:21 PM
    • 5,038 Posts
    • 30,337 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Because you have a calls package with your monthly mobile plan? OP used a landline without any calls package. (May have had free weekend calls, but any other calls are chargeable at standard rates).
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Hence I do not use my landline!
    Who does?
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • SimonPhoenix
    • By SimonPhoenix 16th Feb 18, 12:29 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    SimonPhoenix
    Surely that helpline is just for problems with operating things and advice? Were you on it trying to arrange a refund?
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Curry's direct their customers to the KnowHow line to resolve any post-purchase problems. Reporting faults, arranging repairs, deliveries, installations, refunds etc. It's all via the KnowHow line.

I was trying to do all of the above over a period of almost three months. I had many problems with the washer I purchased and its replacement.

How come on my mobile package, calls to 01, 02, and 03 are included!
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth
    I don't have a contract mobile. I used my standard BT landline with no extra call packages.

Hence I do not use my landline!
    Who does?
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Not everyone has a mobile contract. I don't think I should be forced to get one just to call Team KnowHow. I had to make a riduclous amount of calls in order to get things resolved because Curry's were utterly incompetent in handling my problems. That's not my fault.
    • takman
    • By takman 16th Feb 18, 12:35 PM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 2,909 Thanks
    takman
    Hi
    So I'm preparing to write to Currys Team KnowHow regarding the excessive call charges to the KnowHow helpline (See OP for details).

I was just wondering if anyone knows where the best place to send my email to would be? Would it be worth using the "Resolver" website?
    Any basic tips on how I should structure my complaint/request for compensation would be appreciated, too.
    Thanks.
    Originally posted by SimonPhoenix
    I wouldn't bother your not going to get anywhere with that complaint. The KnowHow Helpline is an 0344 number which is charged at the same rate as a local landline call.

The only reason you have such a high bill is because you rang them using a landline with no inclusive call packages. BT are the ones charging you to make these calls and they would have made you aware when you chose to go with them the cost of calls.

Even if you don't have a mobile you could have used then BT offer a call package for 9.50 a month which would have covered you for unlimited calls to this number.
    • SimonPhoenix
    • By SimonPhoenix 16th Feb 18, 2:07 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    SimonPhoenix
    I wouldn't bother your not going to get anywhere with that complaint. The KnowHow Helpline is an 0344 number which is charged at the same rate as a local landline call.

The only reason you have such a high bill is because you rang them using a landline with no inclusive call packages. BT are the ones charging you to make these calls and they would have made you aware when you chose to go with them the cost of calls.

Even if you don't have a mobile you could have used then BT offer a call package for 9.50 a month which would have covered you for unlimited calls to this number.
    Originally posted by takman
    The reason I don't have any extra call packages is because I don't use my landline much. Normally I only make about 10-15 worth of calls per quarter. So I have no need for the extra call package. It's not BT that provided the terrible service that required me to make so many calls. It's not BT that put me on hold for 25-30 minutes everytime I phoned up or passed me around departments thus increasing the length of the call. If I did not call them, I would not get a resolution - so I did not really have a choice.

They botched my refund for the first washing machine I purchased, compelling me to ring them several times just to prove it was their mistake and not mine so I could get my money back. It was instances like that which forced me to call them and endure the long hold times. I was forced to chase them because of their poor customer service. Not turning up for an installation, missing a delivery slot which I paid for, not calling me back when they said they would, poorly installing an appliance to name a few more instances.

What was I supposed to do? Sit there and do nothing? If Curry's customer service was good then I would not have to make those calls. That's got nothing to do with BT.
    Last edited by SimonPhoenix; 16-02-2018 at 2:48 PM.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 16th Feb 18, 3:08 PM
    • 10,442 Posts
    • 4,392 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    These calls are on your BT bill .
    Lets see a few examples .
    • takman
    • By takman 16th Feb 18, 3:38 PM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 2,909 Thanks
    takman
    The reason I don't have any extra call packages is because I don't use my landline much. Normally I only make about 10-15 worth of calls per quarter. So I have no need for the extra call package. It's not BT that provided the terrible service that required me to make so many calls. It's not BT that put me on hold for 25-30 minutes everytime I phoned up or passed me around departments thus increasing the length of the call. If I did not call them, I would not get a resolution - so I did not really have a choice.

They botched my refund for the first washing machine I purchased, compelling me to ring them several times just to prove it was their mistake and not mine so I could get my money back. It was instances like that which forced me to call them and endure the long hold times. I was forced to chase them because of their poor customer service. Not turning up for an installation, missing a delivery slot which I paid for, not calling me back when they said they would, poorly installing an appliance to name a few more instances.

What was I supposed to do? Sit there and do nothing? If Curry's customer service was good then I would not have to make those calls. That's got nothing to do with BT.
    Your really missing the point!. You knew that BT were charging 13p a minute for these calls and you knew how long the calls were taking, so you knew the costs were adding up but you did nothing about it!.

I'm not saying you should have stopped ringing them but if it was me when the call cost got to around 10 i would be thinking; "these calls are starting to add up and it's going nowhere so i better look into doing something about it". Then you could have added on the 9.50 a month unlimited calls knowing that would cap the amount you had to pay.

There is no way that i would let my call costs get anywhere near 100 when there are so many different ways of reducing them. Even if you didn't want to add that via BT there are many VOIP providers that allow you to call over the internet that charge a lot less for calls.

Once i had a phone contract which gave me 300 minutes a month and i remember that for some reason i needed to make alot more calls so i topped up skype with 5 and used that as it was much cheaper than a landline. Looking at their current rates you could have saved yourself 83 by using it.

The fact that you just kept making call after call at 13p a minute seems crazy to me!.
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 16th Feb 18, 3:41 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 348 Thanks
    bigisi
    Your really missing the point!. You knew that BT were charging 13p a minute for these calls and you knew how long the calls were taking, so you knew the costs were adding up but you did nothing about it!.

I'm not saying you should have stopped ringing them but if it was me when the call cost got to around 10 i would be thinking; "these calls are starting to add up and it's going nowhere so i better look into doing something about it". Then you could have added on the 9.50 a month unlimited calls knowing that would cap the amount you had to pay.

There is no way that i would let my call costs get anywhere near 100 when there are so many different ways of reducing them. Even if you didn't want to add that via BT there are many VOIP providers that allow you to call over the internet that charge a lot less for calls.

Once i had a phone contract which gave me 300 minutes a month and i remember that for some reason i needed to make alot more calls so i topped up skype with 5 and used that as it was much cheaper than a landline. Looking at their current rates you could have saved yourself 83 by using it.

The fact that you just kept making call after call at 13p a minute seems crazy to me!.

In addition to this if you ever tried to take them to court to claim the call charges back the court would expect you to have taken steps to mitigate your losses. That you did none of the things suggested above shows you took no steps to do so and as such won't be looked upon favourably should it come in front of a judge.
    • SimonPhoenix
    • By SimonPhoenix 16th Feb 18, 4:39 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    SimonPhoenix

I've just spoken to BT about the 9.50 unlimited call package and you're right it covers 0345 numbers. I've always just stuck with the basic line rental package as it was the cheapest and presumed adding a call package would mean I'd have to stick with the package for 12 months. BT told me today that I could have the package and drop it at any time with 30 days notice. I just wasn't aware of this. It would have saved me a lot of money had I known.
    I guess there's no point in going to Currys now.
    • KittenChops
    • By KittenChops 16th Feb 18, 5:00 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    KittenChops
    I would still pursue this... Presumably every time you finished a call, they told you it was resolved? How did you know that you'd need to keep phoning back? Anyway, nothing ventured nothing gained...
    • SimonPhoenix
    • By SimonPhoenix 16th Feb 18, 5:19 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    SimonPhoenix
    I would still pursue this... Presumably every time you finished a call, they told you it was resolved? How did you know that you'd need to keep phoning back? Anyway, nothing ventured nothing gained...
    Originally posted by KittenChops
    I have the details of call dates, times and durations and I've been told on several occassions that Currys record their calls. And they've got records of all the issues I had on my customer order file. I had to ring them back because of their multiple failings, from missed delivery times, missed installations, failure to address and correct faults, multiple failures to ring me back (when they said they would), failure to contact delivery depot, failure to refund (despite sending refund confirmation email - requiring me to go my bank to prove I hadn't received the money) etc. Just so many instances where they failed. Matters were made worse as this was around Christmas time. It was an absolutely miserable experience.

I feel utterly stupid now knowing that I could have got a call package to avoid the costs and drop the package at any time with 30 days notice. I just honestly didn't know. I've always just stuck to the cheapest basic line rental package as I am not a person who phones a lot of people; hence, why I've never had a mobile phone contract. Knowing what I know now I feel as if I have no grounds for complaining. I don't know whether it's even worth trying. It just feel as if they have gotten away with delivering a terrible service and there's nothing I can do.
    Last edited by SimonPhoenix; 16-02-2018 at 5:34 PM.
    • SuperHan
    • By SuperHan 16th Feb 18, 5:33 PM
    • 2,066 Posts
    • 1,221 Thanks
    SuperHan
    I have the details of call dates, times and durations and I've been told on several occassions that Currys record their calls. I had to ring them back because of their multiple failings, from missed delivery times, missed installations, failure to address and correct faults, multiple failures to ring me back (when they said they would), failure to contact delivery depot, failure to refund (despite sending refund confirmation email - requiring me to go my bank to prove I hadn't received the money) etc. Just so many instances where they failed. Matters were made worse as this was around Christmas time. It was an absolutely miserable experience.

I feel utterly stupid now knowing that I could have got a call package to avoid the costs and drop the package at any time with 30 days notice. I just honestly didn't know. I've always just stuck to the cheapest basic line rental package as I am not a person who phones a lot of people; hence, why I've never had a mobile phone contract. Knowing what I know now I feel as if I have no grounds for complaining. I don't know whether it's even worth trying.

Although you have to mitigate your costs, doing extensive research into the cheapest way to make the calls shouldn't be necessary.

You aren't charging for you having to go and buy a phone, you're not claiming for calls where you stayed on hold and hung up when you got chance to speak to someone. I think asking for compensation for calls you've had to make are not unreasonable.

Whether you'll get anything is a different matter. If you'd use them, maybe ask for compensation in the form of a voucher (you could even sell it on). I've found companies to be much more amenable to that as a compensation request.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

107Posts Today

1,683Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin