Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • cybervic
    • By cybervic 9th Feb 18, 1:23 PM
    • 382Posts
    • 524Thanks
    permission for improvement before making offer?
    • #1
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:23 PM
    permission for improvement before making offer? 9th Feb 18 at 1:23 PM
    first time buyer wanting to buy a flat with a kitchen needs updating. We will only consider a place that allow us to open a hole in the wall between kitchen and living room (looks like this).

    Do we enquire about freeholder's permission before making an offer, or make offer now but say it's subject to getting an freeholder's permission?

    We also want to add an small wc room (no add/remove/alternation of walls involved), does this require freeholder permission too?

    Last edited by cybervic; 09-02-2018 at 1:37 PM.
Page 1
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 9th Feb 18, 1:45 PM
    • 6,130 Posts
    • 5,952 Thanks
    • #2
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:45 PM
    • #2
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:45 PM
    Some leases say 'no alterations', other leases say 'no alterations without consent' (and they might specify what types of alterations) - so you need to check the lease.

    You can certainly make an offer subject to getting freeholder consent. But fees will probably be payable, and they might be substantial, if you want to knock a hole in a load bearing wall (surveyor, structural engineer etc).

    And if, for example, it's a reinforced concrete wall - there is no chance that you would get consent.

    And of course, the seller might think that your offer is not worth the hassle, and just wait for somebody else to come along who is less demanding.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 9th Feb 18, 2:37 PM
    • 10,601 Posts
    • 8,823 Thanks
    • #3
    • 9th Feb 18, 2:37 PM
    • #3
    • 9th Feb 18, 2:37 PM
    This is a very helpful instructional video if you plan knocking a hole through a partition wall
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 9th Feb 18, 3:01 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 397 Thanks
    need an answer
    • #4
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:01 PM
    • #4
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:01 PM
    The details will be in the lease,and each lease is different,

    You may also find that it is a long and protracted exercise to obtain the freeholders permission,again dependant on who they are and if a management company are involved.

    Expect there to be a fee involved and in some cases with the larger companies I have seen that to be 150 just to review the case!

    The small wc is also likely to require permission and would need pipework joining to existing for waste purposes,something that would be even harder to gain permission for in a leasehold IMO than the opening up of the kitchen!
    with a lot of leaseholds,its a case of if its not there now the chances of it being granted are slim, that's I'm afraid based on at least 2 applications for changes that I have submitted in the last 4 years over 2 different properties.

    I would strongly suggest that you look to find the set up you require rather than expecting to be able to change things further down the line.

    Either that or look for a freehold property where the decision can be made by you and you alone!
    Last edited by need an answer; 09-02-2018 at 3:06 PM.
    in S 23 T 13 F 40
    out S 31 T 14 F 26
    2017 -32
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

146Posts Today

2,429Users online

Martin's Twitter