Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kittenonthekeys
    • By Kittenonthekeys 8th Feb 18, 6:48 PM
    • 306Posts
    • 203Thanks
    Kittenonthekeys
    Adding Kerb appeal in February?
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:48 PM
    Adding Kerb appeal in February? 8th Feb 18 at 6:48 PM
    We put our house on the market last week but there's been much less interest in it than we hoped/expected. It does seem priced about right as far as we're aware. So far, we've had one 'proceedable' viewing (they came, they spent 45 mins, they disappeared with no feedback given), one 'non-proceedable' which was cancelled, and have another non-proceedable viewing booked for next week.
    I know this is generally a quiet time of year but I think our house should be doing better. Imo it doesn't have enough kerb appeal - link to pic here
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/j1a0lwf2hely2ye/2018-02-06%2013.10.35.jpg?dl=0
    There isn't much scope to do any of the usual front garden things because there *is* no front garden; the front door opens straight onto the street, but I think it looks a bit drab, even though the inside of the house is not. The window ledges are shallow and they slope so we can't have window boxes.
    It's in a quiet, safe, pleasant conservation area and we are happy with the inside pics taken by the agent, but I can't help thinking the outside pic of the house may be putting people off. I usually put some seasonal plants outside, as do other neighbours in our little terrace, but as it's February - and very cold as we all know - there's little or no chance of having nice colourful flowers (which provide a good contrast to the black.)
    At the moment we have a small olive tree and a dormant climber in containers outside the door but these aren't doing anything to brighten the appearance.
    Please could anyone give me some pointers to help me brighten it up a bit? Or am I best being a bit more patient and waiting til spring?
    Last edited by Kittenonthekeys; 08-02-2018 at 6:56 PM.
Page 1
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 8th Feb 18, 6:52 PM
    • 2,555 Posts
    • 3,546 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:52 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:52 PM
    Winter pansies?
    • elsien
    • By elsien 8th Feb 18, 6:53 PM
    • 16,198 Posts
    • 40,922 Thanks
    elsien
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:53 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:53 PM
    It's about the time of year for daffs and pansies to start doing their thing.
    Having said that, I don't think that picture would be me off having a look - it's not that bad.
    Have you looked at comparative recent sale prices, rather than what they're going on for?

ETA - the black tubs aren't great. Maybe shift them and get something brighte.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Kittenonthekeys
    • By Kittenonthekeys 8th Feb 18, 6:55 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Kittenonthekeys
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:55 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:55 PM
    Thank you. Yes, most sold prices have been higher than ours, but our house has been hard to value because every house in the area is different - even within our own terrace, so there's little yardstick to base anything on.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 8th Feb 18, 7:26 PM
    • 4,175 Posts
    • 5,874 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:26 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:26 PM
    Next door right has got window boxes up stairs.
    • pinklady21
    • By pinklady21 8th Feb 18, 7:29 PM
    • 527 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    pinklady21
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:29 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:29 PM
    A nice pot of daffs? You can pick up some almost in flower at the moment from the garden centre, or maybe even Lidls. The flowers will go over fairly quickly, but you can simply replace them with others in flower.
    I also think the outside of the house looks fine. Best of luck!
    • Kittenonthekeys
    • By Kittenonthekeys 8th Feb 18, 7:33 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Kittenonthekeys
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:33 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:33 PM
    Sorry, I was talking about the bay window downstairs. We used to have window boxes upstairs like the ones next door but nothing will survive - it's too exposed and windy - we're '2nd line' up facing a river. Next door have never actually had plants in those window boxes!
    • Kittenonthekeys
    • By Kittenonthekeys 8th Feb 18, 7:35 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Kittenonthekeys
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:35 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:35 PM
    Thanks all, for the flower suggestions. A trip to the garden centre is on the agenda for tomorrow!
    • lika_86
    • By lika_86 8th Feb 18, 7:53 PM
    • 1,261 Posts
    • 4,586 Thanks
    lika_86
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:53 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:53 PM
    I'd go for this sort of look https://cdn.notonthehighstreet.com/system/product_images/images/000/575/668/normal_DSC_1405.jpg

Also, could you lift your blinds and have a vase of flowers in the window for a bit more colour?
    • Kittenonthekeys
    • By Kittenonthekeys 8th Feb 18, 7:57 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Kittenonthekeys
    Thank you lika_86 - I think those are great ideas, simple but effective.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 8th Feb 18, 8:39 PM
    • 2,858 Posts
    • 3,202 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    A tub of flowers isn't going to help sell a house!!! I think you should just wait. Selling a house can take a fair while at times.
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 8th Feb 18, 9:41 PM
    • 1,204 Posts
    • 2,044 Thanks
    rach_k
    It looks fine to me but you could consider some fake plants/flowers. I hate them really but if they were in first floor window boxes and you kept to plants that could possibly be alive at this time of year, nobody would notice that they!!!8217;re fake.
    • takman
    • By takman 8th Feb 18, 10:08 PM
    • 3,269 Posts
    • 2,863 Thanks
    takman
    Thank you. Yes, most sold prices have been higher than ours, but our house has been hard to value because every house in the area is different - even within our own terrace, so there's little yardstick to base anything on.
    Originally posted by Kittenonthekeys
    The last 4 houses to be sold on your street were all semi detached houses and they all sold for less than yours. Your next door neighbour was sold in 2015 for almost 95,000 less than your asking price.
    Personally I would say your asking price is too high which is putting people off.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 8th Feb 18, 10:17 PM
    • 58,216 Posts
    • 51,580 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    We put our house on the market last week but there's been much less interest in it than we hoped/expected.
    Chill out. A week is no amount of time.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • takman
    • By takman 8th Feb 18, 10:37 PM
    • 3,269 Posts
    • 2,863 Thanks
    takman
    I didn't notice before: are those double yellow lines in front of your house? Does your listing make the parking arrangements clear? Are those parking arrangements awkward in any way?
    Originally posted by Penitent
    That's a good point. I've just looked at the OP's listing and it states parking permits are available from the council but it's a narrow street with double yellow lines all down it. The parking bays are abit far around the corner and their arn't many so It looks like parking is an issue.
    • Kittenonthekeys
    • By Kittenonthekeys 8th Feb 18, 10:50 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Kittenonthekeys
    The last 4 houses to be sold on your street were all semi detached houses and they all sold for less than yours. Your next door neighbour was sold in 2015 for almost 95,000 less than your asking price.
    Personally I would say your asking price is too high which is putting people off.
    Originally posted by takman
    I was going to ask how on earth you know where my house is (unless you are local) but I guess you may have done a picture search?
    As mentioned above, every house here is different. The house next door that sold for 202K in 2015 may look the same outwardly but is/was totally different from ours, in layout, size, condition and even size/state of the garden. Plus that was 3 years ago, the town's faciliities have improved considerably and continue to do so as new business moves in, people are being priced out of Cambridge and are now looking in surrounding towns; obv prices have increased across the board since 2015. That house next door would now probably be valued at around 250K, not 202K.
    The house next door on the other side of us is different yet again (the one with the window boxes) and was sold at the same time in 2015 within a week, for 230K - full asking. Neither of my neighbours are semis - they are both terraced.
    Other houses in the surrounding streets have sold fairly recently (sorry I dont have the details to hand) at more than ours and they covered more or less the same footprint.
    You may well be right about our price being too high but we got 3 separate valuations and settled on the middle amount. Time will tell - we will drop the price if we need to, once the market picks up in spring.
    Last edited by Kittenonthekeys; 08-02-2018 at 11:21 PM.
    • takman
    • By takman 8th Feb 18, 10:56 PM
    • 3,269 Posts
    • 2,863 Thanks
    takman
    I meant to say, it is very nice on the inside. The only thing (other than the parking issue) that would put me off is the garden. It doesn't feel useable for hanging washing or kicking a ball about or whatever. It looks like the plants have claimed it.
    Originally posted by Penitent
    When they bought the house in 2009 it had a much better picture of the garden:

http://media.rightmove.co.uk/dir/6k/5368/27684827/5368_152040_IMG_07_0000_max_656x437.jpg

So I'm surprised the new picture isn't as good considering the rest of the house looks better.
    • takman
    • By takman 8th Feb 18, 11:06 PM
    • 3,269 Posts
    • 2,863 Thanks
    takman
    I was going to ask how on earth you know where my house is (unless you are local) but I guess you may have done a picture search?
    Yes I did a picture search as I was curious if you had used the actual picture from the listing.

As mentioned above, every house here is different. The house next door that sold for 202K in 2015 may look the same outwardly but is/was totally different from ours, in layout, size, condition and even size/state of the garden. Plus that was 3 years ago, the town's faciliities have improved considerably and continue to do so as new business moves in, people are being priced out of Cambridge and are now looking in surrounding towns; obv prices have increased across the board since 2015. That house next door would now probably be valued at around 250K, not 202K.
    The house next door on the other side of us is different yet again (the one with the window boxes) was sold at the same time in 2015 within a week, for 230K - full asking. Neither of my neighbours are semis - they are both terraced.
    Other houses in the surrounding streets have sold fairly recently (sorry I dont have the detsils to hand) at more than ours and they covered more or less the same footprint.
    You may well be right about our price being too high but we got 3 separate valuations and settled on the middle amount. Time will tell - we will drop the price if we need to, once the market picks up in spring.
    The price may be right for the area but it just seems abit high from what I've seen and when you considering finding a parking space seems extremely difficult.
    But I agree you shouldn't reduce it if your in no rush to sell and had it valued recently.
    • Kittenonthekeys
    • By Kittenonthekeys 8th Feb 18, 11:06 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Kittenonthekeys
    Re the parking, we've never had a problem finding a space and we have 2 cars. There's a council car park around the corner and also on-street permits, although there's no enforcement here. Slightly more difficult parking is a trade-off for living in (any) town centre and for having excellent facilities all within short walking distance. Houses still sell here.
    Re the garden, no, it isn't ideal for children - its a courtyard garden. This house generally is really more suitable for a couple and that's the type of buyer we're targeting really.
    • Kittenonthekeys
    • By Kittenonthekeys 8th Feb 18, 11:15 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Kittenonthekeys
    When they bought the house in 2009 it had a much better picture of the garden:

http://media.rightmove.co.uk/dir/6k/5368/27684827/5368_152040_IMG_07_0000_max_656x437.jpg

So I'm surprised the new picture isn't as good considering the rest of the house looks better.
    Originally posted by takman
    The plants have grown a lot since it was done in 2009, but I will take better pictures. I don't like the wide-angled lens pic as it looks distorted and not true to life. (Thank you, I'm glad you think the rest of the house looks better
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

257Posts Today

3,318Users online

Martin's Twitter