Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • walwyn1978
    • By walwyn1978 8th Feb 18, 3:44 PM
    • 464Posts
    • 426Thanks
    walwyn1978
    What's a fair price for a house clearance?
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:44 PM
    What's a fair price for a house clearance? 8th Feb 18 at 3:44 PM
    Detail: an elderly (distant) relative has recently died. A long time ago she asked me to be the executor of her will. She lives in Herefordshire about 4 hours away from us. She lived alone in a smallish 2 bedroom semi. Dining room, kitchen, living room, attached single garage, shed, small garden. In the last few years of her life when she became widowed she started to 'save' things like carrier bags, and collect (cheap) crockery sets, so the house was liveable but messy.

None of the remaining family live close by. Those items that did have sentimental value for members of the family have already gone.

I basically know I need to empty the house then sell it as part of executing the will, but don't have the contacts/time to do that at 4 hrs plus travelling time any time soon, so it would seem a house clearance company would make sense.

How much roughly should I be looking to pay? I know the really cheap guys are often cowboys who flytip the rubbish - any guidance welcome. Many thanks
Page 1
    • vansboy
    • By vansboy 8th Feb 18, 5:24 PM
    • 6,160 Posts
    • 4,462 Thanks
    vansboy
    • 8th Feb 18, 5:24 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 5:24 PM
    Talk to local charities who sell furniture and larger items , try

http://www.st-michaels-hospice.org.uk/

They will make best use of the good stuff and dispose of the rest in the correct manner.
    Price will dependent on many things, but at least you know someone will benefit from your aunts passing.

VB
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 8th Feb 18, 6:11 PM
    • 2,868 Posts
    • 1,998 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:11 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:11 PM
    We got the estate agent who was dealing with the sale to organise it. They did rentals so were used to having to clear properties between lets and knew all the right people.
    I think it was a couple of hundred but that was in Essex, charities wanted a lot more & wouldn't take everything, which rather defeated the purpose of "house clearance".
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 8th Feb 18, 11:16 PM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 4,369 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 8th Feb 18, 11:16 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 11:16 PM
    Local auction houses will also do it - I know ours will take the lot and then put the saleable stuff in to the auction.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 9th Feb 18, 12:19 AM
    • 2,238 Posts
    • 1,520 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:19 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:19 AM
    I paid 700 but that was for a three bed house with two sheds and a garage.

Whoever you get, make sure they are going to take everything including all the rubbish and sweep up after them.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th Feb 18, 1:25 AM
    • 25,714 Posts
    • 54,575 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:25 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:25 AM
    I find house clearance services a bit confusing; presumably some of the finds are sold on? Are you 100% sure that nothing of value remains? Who should be paying whom?

I understand that being around isn!!!8217;t an option for you.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 9th Feb 18, 8:57 AM
    • 7,612 Posts
    • 5,011 Thanks
    Biggles
    • 9th Feb 18, 8:57 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 8:57 AM
    What Tom paid probably isn't far out. I paid 500; they said that, when they came to sort the stuff and dispose of it, if they found anything of value the price would be passed on. There wasn't, but then I wasn't expecting there would be.
    • walwyn1978
    • By walwyn1978 9th Feb 18, 3:39 PM
    • 464 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    walwyn1978
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:39 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:39 PM
    I paid 700 but that was for a three bed house with two sheds and a garage.

Whoever you get, make sure they are going to take everything including all the rubbish and sweep up after them.
    Originally posted by Tom99
    Yes, thanks.

Essentially I want the place emptied and tidy, then I'll get it deep cleaned, then listed for sale.
    • walwyn1978
    • By walwyn1978 9th Feb 18, 3:42 PM
    • 464 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    walwyn1978
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:42 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:42 PM
    What Tom paid probably isn't far out. I paid 500; they said that, when they came to sort the stuff and dispose of it, if they found anything of value the price would be passed on. There wasn't, but then I wasn't expecting there would be.
    Originally posted by Biggles
    So the deal was 500 up front and then if they found things of interest, all the profit went back to you, some of it? I know it didn't apply in this case but how would it have worked in pRinciple? Just in case one of the companies offers this kind of service...
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 9th Feb 18, 3:47 PM
    • 2,238 Posts
    • 1,520 Thanks
    Tom99
    I would take with a pinch of salt any offer to share in valuable finds.
    • jhe
    • By jhe 9th Feb 18, 7:27 PM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 698 Thanks
    jhe
    A local removal company will probably do house clearances .
    or man and a van will probably be cheaper , just check they are registered waste carriers.
    check yell.com , Thomson local or even facebook for local businesses to the area
    regarding anything of value can you not visit the day of the clearance to check for valuables ?
    • Socajam
    • By Socajam 12th Feb 18, 3:00 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Socajam
    For what it's worth, I like this option best:

http://www.st-michaels-hospice.org.uk/
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 13th Feb 18, 12:57 AM
    • 2,921 Posts
    • 2,905 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    IT takes a bit to sort but if you went down over a weekend and took photos of stuff and put it on gumtree for free for collection you'll get rid of a lot of the bigger items and possibly smaller items too. This will save you loads on the removal. I put an ad for if you take X of use for taking y to the tip. It cleared the lot. Rest of the stuff you could probably clear with a skip to be fair I bet.

Other thing is try any van and the like for removals to get different quotes too
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 st 7lbs then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs: *61lbs lost* *30lbs to go*
    1st started SW16st13lbs tues11/7/17 - 38 weeks -53lbs
    2nd sw 14 st 12lbs Fri15/6/18 -> 0 weeks -0lbs
    2) to find new challenges
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 13th Feb 18, 8:57 AM
    • 7,612 Posts
    • 5,011 Thanks
    Biggles
    So the deal was 500 up front and then if they found things of interest, all the profit went back to you, some of it? I know it didn't apply in this case but how would it have worked in pRinciple? Just in case one of the companies offers this kind of service...
    Originally posted by walwyn1978
    They sorted the stuff and took some to the tip, others to charity shops etc. And if anything was worth it, they'd have sold it or auctioned it. I didn't bother to ask what my percentage would be, as I didn't think anything was worth a penny!

A friend whose relative died abroad had the local auction house clear the house. They bagged up the rubbish (there was a lot!) and auctioned other stuff. But I don't know of many in the country that would carry that service out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

33Posts Today

3,760Users online

Martin's Twitter