Damage from extension curb during roadworks

Options
This morning while driving to work, I had to drive through some temporary roadworks. The lights were on green so I followed a taxi through, which involved driving around onto the wrong side of the road and around a traffic island in the middle for pedestrians to cross.

As I was going through, I felt a bang and realised I’d hit a piece of extended curbing that was sticking out onto the road. I didn’t notice it due to a direct low sun and also because it was in shade. I’ve captured the incident on dash cam and even watching it back, it’s hard to see. It’s literally a square piece of curb sticking out by around 1m, presumably to stop people parking close to the traffic island in the middle of the road.

Obviously, I pulled in as soon as I could and checked out the damage - popped tyre and some alloy scuffs which look awful.

Now obviously, I did not see the curb people will say it’s my fault for driving into a perminant object, but given that I was driving towards it from the opposite direction to what it’s designed for, there were no markings leading up to it whereas there is for traffic coming the opposite direction. Also, the people doing the roadworks have placed traffic cones around every object on site, covering their parked vehicles, the signal box and the traffic lights so that people presumably can see them in all conditions.

Since driving back this evening, that piece of curb now has 2 marking cones placed on it - is there a regulation regarding things like this? If so, the fact I have video evidence would surely go in my favour?

Edit: I tried to post images that are screen grabs from the incident caught on my dash cam which shows my view (or lack off) but I can’t due to being a new member :(

Comments

• Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    Is the kerb you hit defective?
  • Rmd1988
    Options
    It’s not damaged, but was just not visible due to the roadworks and conditions. I have since found out that the works were being done by Northern Powergrid.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    Rmd1988 wrote: »
    It’s not damaged, but was just not visible due to the roadworks and conditions. I have since found out that the works were being done by Northern Powergrid.

So you’ve simply kerbed the car?

I can’t see you having a valid claim due to driver error.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'm of the mind that nothing ventured! Get more footage / photos that now show the kerb as being marked with cones. Get your car fixed, and then write to Northern Powergrid with all the photos and a copy of the invoice you paid for fixing your car. The worst they can say is "No".
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Rmd1988
    Options
    To put it bluntly yes - if I could upload photos it would be easier. The piece of curb in question is a small square shape that sticks out into the road to stop people parking beyond it. With the roadworks in place, it effectively became a chicane as it actually sticks out into the road.

Coming from the normal traffic flow direction, it has white lines beside it so people can see it, but from the opposite direction with the 1 way flow, there were no markings. I probably would have seen it in clear conditions or if it was marked out, but a low sun had it cast in a shadow. Even from my dash cam, it’s only visible in the final few frames of footage before I clipped it.
  • societys_child
    Options
    I didn!!!8217;t notice it due to a direct low sun and also because it was in shade.
    You couldn't see but drove on anyway?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

As I was going through, I felt a bang and realised I’d hit a piece of extended curbing that was sticking out onto the road. I didn’t notice it due to a direct low sun and also because it was in shade.(

You should be wearing sun glasses when driving at this time of year. They're more important in winter due to the low sun and especially when it reflects off wet roads than in summer.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    There will be guidelines with regards to altering highways for temporary diversions. Try contacting the company doing the works or possibly the highways department of the council, they may be able to advise.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    To put it bluntly yes - if I could upload photos it would be easier.
    Use a hosting site like tinypic or imgur then post the URL using hxxp instead of http and someone will fix the link for you.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    "I drove into a stationary object. How can I make somebody else pay?"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts